2024 Aston Martin | Aramco F1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
Otromundo

Re: 2024 Aston Martin | Aramco F1 Team

I am happy with the race.

As always, ALO has shown its intelligence. Very interesting to see Russell behind him.

I still think that the enemies right now are McL, especially if there are many curves.

MBs also have speed, but they prefer straight lines. And they don't seem to have much more speed either.

At the moment, the RB and Ferrari are well ahead.

It seems that ALO still can't travel comfortably with the McL or feel confident taking the MB behind him on fast circuits.

The McL will be a problem in Melbourne, there we will be able to see the pace of the team's progress.
Believe half of what you see and none of what you hear.

bingaboy
bingaboy

If we take Red Bull as the reference, Aston Martin improved its race pace by 0.351s from Bahrain
- @f1bigdata on twitter

peewon

The next driver moves should not be judged by current pecking order of the teams. I saw a Helmut Marko quote where he claimed that RBPT and Mercedes were leading the pack in the 2026 PU development. Audi and Ferrari are "miles behind". He did not mention Honda. You can take it with a pinch of salt but he also very confidently predicted the pecking order before the 2021 aero regulations overhaul which I doubted but turned out to be accurate.

So to me the most coveted seats are Mercedes and RB. Toto and Marko will NOT bring in Alonso under any circumstance. Reason: George is very close with Toto (Toto hates Alonso as well from the Merc saga) and everyone knows about Max and Marko. I think Honda wants to have a Japanese driver at AM and is a wild card performance wise. This is why Alonso is already talking about retirement as a possibility suddenly. I think he doesnt think he has a seat for 2026 at a reasonable contender and 2025 will very much be RB dominated. He started the season talking about how great his physicals were and how it may enable him to race a long time to suddenly talking about evaluating his commitment level because he was sending out feelers to everyone probably and hasnt got a positive response. The only long shot is if Marko departs RB.

xReVo
xReVo

peewon wrote:
10 Mar 2024, 03:04
The next driver moves should not be judged by current pecking order of the teams. I saw a Helmut Marko quote where he claimed that RBPT and Mercedes were leading the pack in the 2026 PU development. Audi and Ferrari are "miles behind". He did not mention Honda. You can take it with a pinch of salt but he also very confidently predicted the pecking order before the 2021 aero regulations overhaul which I doubted but turned out to be accurate.

So to me the most coveted seats are Mercedes and RB. Toto and Marko will NOT bring in Alonso under any circumstance. Reason: George is very close with Toto (Toto hates Alonso as well from the Merc saga) and everyone knows about Max and Marko. I think Honda wants to have a Japanese driver at AM and is a wild card performance wise. This is why Alonso is already talking about retirement as a possibility suddenly. I think he doesnt think he has a seat for 2026 at a reasonable contender and 2025 will very much be RB dominated. He started the season talking about how great his physicals were and how it may enable him to race a long time to suddenly talking about evaluating his commitment level because he was sending out feelers to everyone probably and hasnt got a positive response. The only long shot is if Marko departs RB.
I remind you that Krack has stated that they are willing to offer a renewal to Alonso if he wants it. Honda doesn't decide, Aston Martin rules

KimiRai
KimiRai

Alonso:
"As it sometimes happened last year, certain results are not valued. It's a fifth, normal, neither good nor bad, but I don't think it's where we should be. We should be ninth. With Carlos [Sainz] out because of the medical problem we got that position, and then Hamilton and Norris were out because of the safety car. The two McLarens and Mercedes couldn't stop at the same time, so they were left out. We made good use of that strategy."

"It was qualifying for me the whole race because George was relentless, I didn't want him to take the DRS because then you get into that game of not doing optimal laps, because you have to use the battery at different points so he doesn't overtake you and you lose a lot of time. I wanted to keep him behind by more than a second and they were very mentally demanding laps, I even touched the wall on one occasion. I'm very, very happy with the result. It was demanding and stressful, physically and mentally. I'm going to sleep well."

"We are missing three or four tenths of a second of evolution in the car, of bringing in improvements [parts] that will give us those three or four tenths. With that margin the races change direction and you have the pace they have. We are fifth, we were fifth in Abu Dhabi, Bahrain and here. With one lap we managed to warm up the tyres and get them ready for qualifying, we've done well in these first two races, but then we're back to where we deserve to be. A bit behind McLaren and Mercedes. Maybe Ferrari and Red Bull are a step ahead of the others and that will be the hardest for us to catch."

"We have started well, positive. Both in Bahrain and here we were between eight tenths and one second quicker than last year. The 2024 car is clearly much better, but everyone has improved. Last year they finished very strong in the top four and have maintained that momentum of having good cars. But we have seen. Here we have had an evolution in the brake (air) intake, that has given us a little bit of a step up from Bahrain. In the next races we will continue to have things. Last year we didn't have this, I saw a very good Aston at the beginning of the year but until Canada we didn't put in a single new part. This year we will do the opposite, the car is good but it's just a base, we will change everything during the year like McLaren did in 2023."
Also de la Rosa says there are currently no plans for improvements to arrive in Australia.

max_speed
max_speed

KimiRai wrote:
10 Mar 2024, 06:22
Alonso:
"As it sometimes happened last year, certain results are not valued. It's a fifth, normal, neither good nor bad, but I don't think it's where we should be. We should be ninth. With Carlos [Sainz] out because of the medical problem we got that position, and then Hamilton and Norris were out because of the safety car. The two McLarens and Mercedes couldn't stop at the same time, so they were left out. We made good use of that strategy."

"It was qualifying for me the whole race because George was relentless, I didn't want him to take the DRS because then you get into that game of not doing optimal laps, because you have to use the battery at different points so he doesn't overtake you and you lose a lot of time. I wanted to keep him behind by more than a second and they were very mentally demanding laps, I even touched the wall on one occasion. I'm very, very happy with the result. It was demanding and stressful, physically and mentally. I'm going to sleep well."

"We are missing three or four tenths of a second of evolution in the car, of bringing in improvements [parts] that will give us those three or four tenths. With that margin the races change direction and you have the pace they have. We are fifth, we were fifth in Abu Dhabi, Bahrain and here. With one lap we managed to warm up the tyres and get them ready for qualifying, we've done well in these first two races, but then we're back to where we deserve to be. A bit behind McLaren and Mercedes. Maybe Ferrari and Red Bull are a step ahead of the others and that will be the hardest for us to catch."

"We have started well, positive. Both in Bahrain and here we were between eight tenths and one second quicker than last year. The 2024 car is clearly much better, but everyone has improved. Last year they finished very strong in the top four and have maintained that momentum of having good cars. But we have seen. Here we have had an evolution in the brake (air) intake, that has given us a little bit of a step up from Bahrain. In the next races we will continue to have things. Last year we didn't have this, I saw a very good Aston at the beginning of the year but until Canada we didn't put in a single new part. This year we will do the opposite, the car is good but it's just a base, we will change everything during the year like McLaren did in 2023."
Also de la Rosa says there are currently no plans for improvements to arrive in Australia.
There is a reason why they call him willy Fox :), in race craft only person who can come closer to him is verstappen. Mclarens are looking very racy, new rear suspension can not be the reason for eating tires because mclaren is also using it or they build their own suspension ?. Aston can not let Alosno go else all money they are investing will go in drain, i just hope they can throw all in to make alonso WDC and next year Jr.Stroll can dream about it (100% cant win it)

ME4ME

Aston Martin should line up Sainz and give Alonso a two week deadline to sign a two year contract to cover the 25-26 step.

They can't wait for him to look around anymore. Mike Krack has been willing to extent Alonsos contract for over six months. It's time to sign or move on.

Sainz is a good replacement and would bring them stability for the foreseeable future.

KimiRai
KimiRai

ME4ME wrote:
10 Mar 2024, 08:41
Aston Martin should line up Sainz and give Alonso a two week deadline to sign a two year contract to cover the 25-26 step.

They can't wait for him to look around anymore. Mike Krack has been willing to extent Alonsos contract for over six months. It's time to sign or move on.

Sainz is a good replacement and would bring them stability for the foreseeable future.
From the drivers available any replacement (except Max) would be an immediate downgrade.

Youre right that they should have someone lined up just in case , but its not a surprise why they are being very graceful with Fernando on contract talks.
Last edited by KimiRai on 10 Mar 2024, 09:34, edited 9 times in total.

diffuser

With about 15 laps to go in the race there was an interesting message from Alonso's race engineer to Alonso. "The diff is starting to do the same thing as it was doing in Bahrain. Suggest diff mode 8." It was something like "diff mode 8" .
Last edited by diffuser on 10 Mar 2024, 09:17, edited 1 time in total.

-wkst-
-wkst-

The worst thing about STR is not losing 1 point in the championship, worst thing is the big bill the new spare parts will cost. Such things cannot be outsourced to AMR applied technologies from the cost cap like Human Resources, or how they named this company…

Waz
Waz

It's hard to see where podiums will come from until the tire performance is fixed and they find a little more top speed.

It's disappointing that they're still one of the slowest in a straight while now also losing their tire deg advantage over teams like McLaren and Ferrari.

But the noises from the team are still positive, which probably means they expected this and have developments in the pipe line to solve the problems.

Alternately, it's the rear suspension that Mercedes were late to the party in finishing that's creating some issues, especially in set up.

ME4ME

KimiRai wrote:
10 Mar 2024, 09:06
Don't agree at all. The reason why Aston is willing to wait so much for Fernando is because they know any replacement (except Max) would be a clear downgrade. Why would you want to lose your best asset?
I agree with you that he is currently their biggest asset.

But imagine if Sainz Sainz elsewhere, and Albon is locked in at Williams, and then Alonso decides it's time to quit. The team would be without a good driver to lead the team. In my opinion it's just too big a risk.

*signs :mrgreen:

diffuser

-wkst- wrote:
10 Mar 2024, 09:17
The worst thing about STR is not losing 1 point in the championship, worst thing is the big bill the new spare parts will cost. Such things cannot be outsourced to AMR applied technologies from the cost cap like Human Resources…
The whole STR thing has been talked about till my eyes bleed. There isn't anything new to talk about. We're all waiting for STR to retire....

OnEcRiTiCaL
OnEcRiTiCaL

Waz wrote:
10 Mar 2024, 09:21
It's hard to see where podiums will come from until the tire performance is fixed and they find a little more top speed.

It's disappointing that they're still one of the slowest in a straight while now also losing their tire deg advantage over teams like McLaren and Ferrari.

But the noises from the team are still positive, which probably means they expected this and have developments in the pipe line to solve the problems.

Alternately, it's the rear suspension that Mercedes were late to the party in finishing that's creating some issues, especially in set up.
I don't know why you saying they are slow on straights.
https://www.google.com/amp/s/f1i.com/ne ... 4.html/amp
At race is a different story,but since they can't change the mapping,engine modes from qualification to race, only they can reduce the engine power. I don't have f1 tv or telemetry option. But would be amazing to see the topspeed comparison from each drivers from quali and race!

Mansell89
Mansell89

max_speed wrote:
10 Mar 2024, 07:19
KimiRai wrote:
10 Mar 2024, 06:22
Alonso:

There is a reason why they call him willy Fox :), in race craft only person who can come closer to him is verstappen. Mclarens are looking very racy, new rear suspension can not be the reason for eating tires because mclaren is also using it or they build their own suspension ?. Aston can not let Alosno go else all money they are investing will go in drain, i just hope they can throw all in to make alonso WDC and next year Jr.Stroll can dream about it (100% cant win it)
McLaren build their own I believe, whereas Aston and Williams buy from Merc.

I do wonder if adapting to the new suspension is where the low fuel and high fuel off discrepancy comes from for Aston.

Hopefully they can bring the performance through upgrades.