BrawnGP

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
Shrek
Shrek

Re: BrawnGP

Birel99 wrote:JT, I know we went into some discussion about this in another thread but...

How do you increase surface temperature on a tyre?

Thank you!
swerve on the straights
Spencer

xpensive
xpensive

Nothing beats a serious toe-in for that purpose. :lol:
"I spent most of my money on wine and women...I wasted the rest"

Jersey Tom
Jersey Tom

Swerving on the straights actually doesn't really do --- for surface temp. It's extremely dynamic. As soon as you stop, the surface temp immediately drops.

Undertread is different.
Grip is a four letter word. All opinions are my own and not those of current or previous employers.

roost89
roost89

Shrek wrote:
Birel99 wrote:JT, I know we went into some discussion about this in another thread but...

How do you increase surface temperature on a tyre?

Thank you!
swerve on the straights
Heavy acceleration and braking.
Spinning ones wheels (if possible). I think Gary McCoy now in World Supersport spins his rear tyre for extra grip...or maybe he just likes the slide. But this could have detrimental effects too.
"It could be done manually. It would take quite a while, but it could be done. There is however a much more efficient and accurate way of getting the data. Men with lasers." Wing Commander Andy Green

marcush.
marcush.

JT is totally right with the compound thickness .Had this a few years back when I could not make the rubber survive until shaving of 2/3 of the tread from the brand new tyres.This let the graining disappear whereas before try as you might the tyres were toasted in minutes (these tyres were actually intended for autocross,were you
normally have a good portion of the track dusted or greasy.

As for the graining of hot tyres I have to admit that JT is right again ,from my side I categorise this into overworking/overstressed = dead tyre .He´s of course right that a tyre like this shows a coarse grained pattern compared to the fine grain a properly worked tyre should exhibit.
So basically only not speaking the same language here but this is a good example for the need to talk the talk in racing until for sure everyone got your point.

ringo

So in short, we can think of it like a grinder wheel. Mechanical friction is good, but if the tire is over worked the grains or strands(whatever you want to call the rubber construction) will break or shear prematurely similar to what happens when a grinder is glazed.
So we end up with sheared, glazed grains clumping on the surface preventing any real mechanical friction from occurring with the ground and the underlying tire.

This is all good, but i haven't seen any real substance being thrown around; the theories make sense, but it still does not fully explain the direct relationships with suspension geometry, especially in F1 where there is a small variation in geometry between the teams.
Its amazing the cars can have similar down force levels, yet may have drastically different tire performance.
Or could we just conclude its a very complicated issue only God knows why :lol: and Jenson is just finding excuses.
For Sure!!

PlatinumZealot

Jersey Tom wrote:It's heat generation. Not heat transfer. Relative magnitudes for each? Forget it.

Comes down to this, though. Surface temperature is going to be a big function of friction and sliding between rubber and road. Undertread temperature and carcass temperature comes from tire deflection. Both are important.
Yes, heat generation.. you know what I mean! (I am rusty off school, simple mistake)

I am hearing what causes it, but I am not hearing how these things influence the heat generation (surface friction and sliding and deformation) whether positively or negatively. Please, that's all I ask... :cry: simple request.

E.g I dunno, Increase in spring rate does what? increase or decrease heat generation? within what conditions etc

Sorry to ask a third time but I am not the wordy type of person. I just like simple relations, if you see where I am coming from.

Just want an Idea of why Brawn was having a problem.. Was it damper settings? low chassis stiffness? stuff like that.
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

Racing Green in 2028

mstar
mstar

i personally think its a built in hindrance in the car, and to get rid of will require a lot of effort. If w go to the first races they had the same problem to (remmeber in the end of the race in australia the temp was lower cmparable to germany/hungary) and they didn't have a large drop off in performance.

it must be a side-effect in the car which masked when we have high temps. Maybe valencia will be really hot and the problem will not occur giving them extra time to solve the problem.

BreezyRacer
BreezyRacer

I would not be surprised if it was a weight transfer or a tire scrub issue.

Terrible3
Terrible3

roost89 wrote: Spinning ones wheels (if possible). I think Gary McCoy now in World Supersport spins his rear tyre for extra grip...or maybe he just likes the slide. But this could have detrimental effects too.
This is also common in ALMS where they have a traction control setting override. In most of the P1 and P2 cars the drivers can hit a button to reduce the traction control on the warm up lap or under SC in order to get some heat into the tires.

Jersey Tom
Jersey Tom

ringo wrote:This is all good, but i haven't seen any real substance being thrown around; the theories make sense, but it still does not fully explain the direct relationships with suspension geometry, especially in F1 where there is a small variation in geometry between the teams.
That's why I think the concept of designing kinematics to heat tires is kind of a load of crap. Static suspension settings definitely do have an impact.
ringo wrote:Or could we just conclude its a very complicated issue only God knows why :lol: and Jenson is just finding excuses.
Yup. Wouldn't be surprised. Don't listen to everything the drivers say. Could be the pressure hasn't built up enough. Could be that the sticker tires aren't faster than scuffs and they haven't broken the carcass in. Not necessarily temperature.
n smikle wrote:Sorry to ask a third time but I am not the wordy type of person. I just like simple relations, if you see where I am coming from.

Just want an Idea of why Brawn was having a problem.. Was it damper settings? low chassis stiffness? stuff like that.
There are very few, if any simple relationships in this kinda stuff.

There's NO way that we would know what their issue is without specific information. They might not even know what the problem is. They may not be the only ones with the issue. Could be everyone, and Brawn were the only one to make a public comment about it. Could be that the whole garage is bitching to Bridgestone about it.
Grip is a four letter word. All opinions are my own and not those of current or previous employers.

void

Rear bodywork picture by RB

BreezyRacer
BreezyRacer

void wrote:Rear bodywork picture by RB

Oh Boy! New bits!

Shrek
Shrek

it looks nice like its gold plated or something at that camera angle and lights and everything
Spencer

mx_tifoso
mx_tifoso

What are you talking about exactly? :wtf: Wheres the gold?

And Void, anymore you can share with us? Or the source if possible...
Forum guide: read before posting

"You do it, then it's done." - Kimi Räikkönen

Por las buenas soy amigo, por las malas soy campeón.