2024 Mclaren Formula 1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
LionsHeart
LionsHeart

Re: 2024 Mclaren Formula 1 Team

_cerber1 wrote:
10 Mar 2024, 09:52
haza wrote:
10 Mar 2024, 08:57
The car in the highspeed corners is an absolute monster look at the delta Norris gains over Lewis in the highspeed .2 after turn 1 increases to 1.2 over a few corners

https://x.com/mercedesnewsuk/status/176 ... CA5OmEDv0w
From Hamilton's on-board camera, it's even more impressive. For some reason, I can’t find it in the cropped recording, if anyone is interested, this is the 39th lap of the race.
On lap 47, it will happen again. Lando got away from Lewis by a second in a few corners of the first sector.

LionsHeart
LionsHeart

Regarding the low effectiveness of DRS. Could the cause of the problem be related to the floor edge or underbody ducts that flush the airflow sideways? It's just very curious that the team can't manage this problem for the third season in a row. Why do Haas and Ferrari have the difference between the open and closed position of the top rear wing flap giving the maximum effect? I don't think it's all about the rear wing. It's something else. And it's certainly not a beam wing plus diffuser. Otherwise the problem would have been solved earlier.

My guess is that the way the air is vented to the side to seal the floor edge affects drag. If this is an erroneous judgment, then the problem concerns the front wing, the rear wing range and the amount of air that flows under the floor. In this case, I believe Red Bull's solution is very effective. Their front wing has a low angle of attack, the upper flaps point almost horizontally, while the McLaren's flaps shoot upward. This is clearly visible when looking at the cars from the front. But if such a wing creates less drag, then there should be less downforce at the front, right? In this case, the floor plays a key role in generating downforce on the front axle, and even in slow corners.

I saw Stella say that the main problems with balance and handling will be resolved in 2025. Honestly, I'm disappointed. Apparently there is something in the chassis and aerodynamic body that hinders the car. And Sanchez and Marshall could see it.

Xero

LionsHeart wrote:
10 Mar 2024, 17:03
Regarding the low effectiveness of DRS. Could the cause of the problem be related to the floor edge or underbody ducts that flush the airflow sideways? It's just very curious that the team can't manage this problem for the third season in a row. Why do Haas and Ferrari have the difference between the open and closed position of the top rear wing flap giving the maximum effect? I don't think it's all about the rear wing. It's something else. And it's certainly not a beam wing plus diffuser. Otherwise the problem would have been solved earlier.

My guess is that the way the air is vented to the side to seal the floor edge affects drag. If this is an erroneous judgment, then the problem concerns the front wing, the rear wing range and the amount of air that flows under the floor. In this case, I believe Red Bull's solution is very effective. Their front wing has a low angle of attack, the upper flaps point almost horizontally, while the McLaren's flaps shoot upward. This is clearly visible when looking at the cars from the front. But if such a wing creates less drag, then there should be less downforce at the front, right? In this case, the floor plays a key role in generating downforce on the front axle, and even in slow corners.

I saw Stella say that the main problems with balance and handling will be resolved in 2025. Honestly, I'm disappointed. Apparently there is something in the chassis and aerodynamic body that hinders the car. And Sanchez and Marshall could see it.
It's hard to speculate on any of this, but It's likely a combination of several things from front to back. But it does seem to point to the beam wing and diffuser perhaps not stalling as required during DRS use. Getting the beam wing to stall with DRS open is one thing, but having that domino effect for the beam wing to then stall the diffuser is a challenge.

The car balance does look improved on last year, no question of that. The team were very open before testing that solutions to address all car weaknesses would not be ready for the first few races. To be this competitive with a relatively simple baseline evolution from last year is definitely encouraging.

LionsHeart
LionsHeart

Xero wrote:
10 Mar 2024, 17:47
LionsHeart wrote:
10 Mar 2024, 17:03

It's hard to speculate on any of this, but It's likely a combination of several things from front to back. But it does seem to point to the beam wing and diffuser perhaps not stalling as required during DRS use. Getting the beam wing to stall with DRS open is one thing, but having that domino effect for the beam wing to then stall the diffuser is a challenge.

The car balance does look improved on last year, no question of that. The team were very open before testing that solutions to address all car weaknesses would not be ready for the first few races. To be this competitive with a relatively simple baseline evolution from last year is definitely encouraging.
In this regard, yes, it is encouraging. I always hope for the best, but Stella's words today have plunged me into darkness. On the other hand, I’m still waiting for updates, and it’s all the more interesting what they will be like and how effective they will be in the end. This is what I thought: if McLaren wins back 0.7-0.8 seconds at once, then there is no need to modify the DRS. Just start from pole and get ahead of everyone at race pace. 😁

Xyz22
Xyz22

haza wrote:
The car in the highspeed corners is an absolute monster look at the delta Norris gains over Lewis in the highspeed .2 after turn 1 increases to 1.2 over a few corners

Mercedes is one of the worst car in high-speed according to Lewis :D McL is the best or close to the top in this area on the other hand.

ScottR267
ScottR267

organic

Effectively what every team will be doing

LionsHeart
LionsHeart

Well, at least that's how it is. The main thing is that the updates work and give a positive effect.

BMMR61

At face value it looked like McLaren took too much downforce at the cost of straight-line speed but it was the lack of DRS effect that was of most concern. Clearly there is still a lack of understanding of stalling the rear wing and diffuser. Yes, it's encouraging that the high speed cornering was best of the F1 field but will this advantage last once others optimise for a Suzuka type of circuit? I think it continues to be a development race and we can be encouraged that Merc seem to be in confusion between simulation models and real world performance. On face value Ferrari looked to be within two tenths at this track so plenty to feel encouraged about.

_cerber1

organic wrote:
11 Mar 2024, 00:09

Ground Effect
Ground Effect

organic wrote:
11 Mar 2024, 00:09

He said something similar last season, about developments looking strong, let's hope it pans out the same way.
Q: (Stefano Mancini – La Stampa) Kimi, will you help Vettel to win his championship this year?
Kimi Raikkonen: I can only drive one car, obviously. 
@2018 Singapore Grand Prix drivers press conference.

FittingMechanics
FittingMechanics

haza wrote:

I felt this was because Norris was bringing his tires in and then when Hamilton got too close he bolted. But looking at how things were in next laps it looked like they were both playing a game of cat and mouse. Norris would get away 2-3 seconds then Hamilton would catch up. Possibly it was due to tires overheating or similar issues.

genarro
genarro

FittingMechanics wrote:
11 Mar 2024, 09:55
haza wrote:

I felt this was because Norris was bringing his tires in and then when Hamilton got too close he bolted. But looking at how things were in next laps it looked like they were both playing a game of cat and mouse. Norris would get away 2-3 seconds then Hamilton would catch up. Possibly it was due to tires overheating or similar issues.
There is news on RacingNews365 that Toto stated that Mercedes has a fundamental flaw with rear end stability in high speed corners...So that would explain why Lando gained 1 s in the fast corners

Xyz22
Xyz22

https://formu1a-uno.translate.goog/la-m ... r_pto=wapp

McL 38 is pretty much class of the field in high speed corners, but way behind in "long" corners, like the last one in Jeddah.

mwillems

FittingMechanics wrote:
11 Mar 2024, 09:55
haza wrote:

I do think we are much better in the high speed corners than the Mercs and I think that Toto has subsequently come out and said how poor they are here, so I think we just have a really strong trait in the car through Medium and High speeds.

https://www.autosport.com/f1/news/merce ... tty%20much.

Super excited to see how Australia is for us.
I'm not taking advice from a cartoon dog

-Bandit