2024 Aston Martin | Aramco F1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
xReVo
xReVo

Re: 2024 Aston Martin | Aramco F1 Team

diffuser wrote:
10 Mar 2024, 19:28
In 2023 in Australia most teams did 50 laps on hards and would have finished on the hards if the race wasn't red flagged. So I don't think tire wear will be a problem there either.
Aston Martin's problem is not tire wear! Look at the times, they don't go up that much. The problem is the slow race pace with full fuel

KimiRai
KimiRai

Aston Martin very happy with the DRS effect on the AMR24, for McLaren it's a problem
The DRS effect, how efficient is the loss of drag when the moving wing opens, was part of the many technical solutions that allowed the Red Bull RB19 to dominate last season, to the point of standing on the top step of the podium in all but one race, that Singapore GP won by Carlos and his Ferrari SF-23. A solution linked to a particular design of the rear wing and, already since last season according to some teams, to a rear end that works in symbiosis to minimise drag.

The AMR24 is a strong evolution of the previous car, with a rather different philosophy, which should allow the Silverstone team to ensure they have a continuously evolving platform. We are only in the second of twenty-four races and all the teams are still in that important phase of understanding their cars, which in many cases are derived from designs that are more than evolved from those of last season. "The AMR24 does not have major problems in the short corners or the high-speed corners. We struggle more in the longer corners, where you have a lot of support. There are a lot of them in Bahrain while in Jeddah only the last corner and turn 13," said Aston Martin performance director Tom McCullough.

The AMR24 proved to be a better performing car in qualifying than on race pace, and this was also the case in Jeddah, even though the Saudi Arabian circuit is one where the fluctuations between qualifying and race are much less important than, for example, Bahrain, due to the very low degradation. The excellent dry lap performance of the new British theme car also comes from the strong improvement in efficiency and especially the DRS effect: "These are two areas we worked really hard on last season and during the winter. We saw how strong Red Bull was and getting closer to them in these two areas was one of our main objectives," said Tom McCullough, the team's performance director. The Jeddah circuit has three long zones where the DRS can be operated in qualifying. Having a good effect from the opening of the moving wing can therefore bring many tenths. "We have a very strong DRS effect and there are three straights here where you can use DRS in qualifying, which are worth a lot of lap time." - said the British engineer - "That's one of the reasons why we qualified well."

McLaren in trouble: MCL38 loses 4 tenths in the three DRS zones in qualifying
The Aston Martin improved by 8 tenths on the dry lap compared to last season and the difference is very important, especially on the straights where the DRS can be opened. McCullough tried to explain what comes into play when designing a car with a strong DRS effect, as was the Red Bull RB19 but also the RB20, as well as Alonso and Stroll's AMR24 - "For a certain level of base drag, when you go to open the DRS, other components also come into play, such as the bottom, the mainplane of the rear wing, the interaction between the beam wing and the bottom, the interaction with the whole body, the shape of the bonnet, the air coming out of the cooling apertures and the way you design your cooling package." Last year, a number of teams had set up mini-teams to carefully study how Red Bull managed to lose a lot of drag when opening the DRS. Among them was Aston Martin, which already brought upgrades to the track on the AMR23 to improve in that technical macro area. "The rear wing we are using now is very similar to some we already had on last year's car. But with the AMR24 we have improved the interaction with the bottom, the cooling system and its openings," said the British engineer.

While the 'greenies' at Silverstone are very pleased with their progress, a loud alarm bell has rung at home in Mclaren about the poor efficiency of the MCL38 at open DRS. The papaya cars lost four tenths in the three DRS zones, a gap that would have allowed Piastri and Norris to be able to slot into second and third in qualifying. "Without DRS we could have been much further ahead and closer to Red Bull," said Lando Norris in post-qualifying. This open DRS restriction also created significant problems for Piastri in the race, who stayed in the DRS zone for many laps to Lewis Hamilton and managed to pass him. "It's not a question of efficiency with the wing closed, because our top speed is basically competitive, but as soon as the DRS opens, we lose a lot of time," said Andrea Stella, team principal of Mclaren.
https://formu1a.uno/aston-martin-molto- ... -problema/

Albert Park has 4 DRS zones interestingly.

diffuser

xReVo wrote:
10 Mar 2024, 20:09
diffuser wrote:
In 2023 in Australia most teams did 50 laps on hards and would have finished on the hards if the race wasn't red flagged. So I don't think tire wear will be a problem there either.
Aston Martin's problem is not tire wear! Look at the times, they don't go up that much. The problem is the slow race pace with full fuel
Think it's both on high deg tracks.

-wkst-
-wkst-

However Pirelli goes a step softer this year in Melbourne.

Braking (in)stability is maybe a good point to discuss. Not only once I read (think even STR mentioned it) that this area is a bit of a problem.

OnEcRiTiCaL
OnEcRiTiCaL

diffuser wrote:
10 Mar 2024, 20:21
xReVo wrote:
diffuser wrote:
I'm not a mechanic or anything, just a fan. But we still can see a bit whats going on I think. They problem related at ride height for sure,but is more complex than just lower or lift the car or make softer or stiff. What I don't understand that the Ferrari, McLaren and a bit Redbull at qualification set the car much lower as Aston. Literally they continously bottoming at high speed. Since you can't change the car at race ,how they do that with extra 100kg not get worse the bottoming? I also noticed McLaren from 290km/h star to bottoming. I think the teams with bottoming try sto stall the floor to reduce the vacuum effect and get less downforce and higher top speed. Aston seems like not doing nothing similar, they run a bit higher the car than other top teams .

issey
issey

OnEcRiTiCaL wrote:
10 Mar 2024, 21:11
diffuser wrote:
xReVo wrote:

I'm not a mechanic or anything, just a fan. But we still can see a bit whats going on I think. They problem related at ride height for sure,but is more complex than just lower or lift the car or make softer or stiff. What I don't understand that the Ferrari, McLaren and a bit Redbull at qualification set the car much lower as Aston. Literally they continously bottoming at high speed. Since you can't change the car at race ,how they do that with extra 100kg not get worse the bottoming? I also noticed McLaren from 290km/h star to bottoming. I think the teams with bottoming try sto stall the floor to reduce the vacuum effect and get less downforce and higher top speed. Aston seems like not doing nothing similar, they run a bit higher the car than other top teams .
I think that they are better with less fuel and have more tyre wear than 2023 has something to do with the suspension. I read somewhere that they softened the rear suspension and antirollbar after FP2 which resulted in better race pace in the race and lower tyre deg but compromised the quali pace. The Mercedes suspension is new I think it’s mainly setup wise with experience and upgrades I think the problem should be fixed

Alo_Fan

max_speed wrote:
10 Mar 2024, 07:19
KimiRai wrote:
10 Mar 2024, 06:22
Alonso:
"As it sometimes happened last year, certain results are not valued. It's a fifth, normal, neither good nor bad, but I don't think it's where we should be. We should be ninth. With Carlos [Sainz] out because of the medical problem we got that position, and then Hamilton and Norris were out because of the safety car. The two McLarens and Mercedes couldn't stop at the same time, so they were left out. We made good use of that strategy."

"It was qualifying for me the whole race because George was relentless, I didn't want him to take the DRS because then you get into that game of not doing optimal laps, because you have to use the battery at different points so he doesn't overtake you and you lose a lot of time. I wanted to keep him behind by more than a second and they were very mentally demanding laps, I even touched the wall on one occasion. I'm very, very happy with the result. It was demanding and stressful, physically and mentally. I'm going to sleep well."

"We are missing three or four tenths of a second of evolution in the car, of bringing in improvements [parts] that will give us those three or four tenths. With that margin the races change direction and you have the pace they have. We are fifth, we were fifth in Abu Dhabi, Bahrain and here. With one lap we managed to warm up the tyres and get them ready for qualifying, we've done well in these first two races, but then we're back to where we deserve to be. A bit behind McLaren and Mercedes. Maybe Ferrari and Red Bull are a step ahead of the others and that will be the hardest for us to catch."

"We have started well, positive. Both in Bahrain and here we were between eight tenths and one second quicker than last year. The 2024 car is clearly much better, but everyone has improved. Last year they finished very strong in the top four and have maintained that momentum of having good cars. But we have seen. Here we have had an evolution in the brake (air) intake, that has given us a little bit of a step up from Bahrain. In the next races we will continue to have things. Last year we didn't have this, I saw a very good Aston at the beginning of the year but until Canada we didn't put in a single new part. This year we will do the opposite, the car is good but it's just a base, we will change everything during the year like McLaren did in 2023."
Also de la Rosa says there are currently no plans for improvements to arrive in Australia.
There is a reason why they call him willy Fox :), in race craft only person who can come closer to him is verstappen. Mclarens are looking very racy, new rear suspension can not be the reason for eating tires because mclaren is also using it or they build their own suspension ?. Aston can not let Alosno go else all money they are investing will go in drain, i just hope they can throw all in to make alonso WDC and next year Jr.Stroll can dream about it (100% cant win it)
McLaren build their own rear suspension, only Mercedes and Aston Martin have the 2024 Merc rear suspension (Williams are using the 2023 Merc rear suspension).

xReVo
xReVo

Alo_Fan wrote:
10 Mar 2024, 23:11
max_speed wrote:
KimiRai wrote:
Alonso:

Also de la Rosa says there are currently no plans for improvements to arrive in Australia.
There is a reason why they call him willy Fox :), in race craft only person who can come closer to him is verstappen. Mclarens are looking very racy, new rear suspension can not be the reason for eating tires because mclaren is also using it or they build their own suspension ?. Aston can not let Alosno go else all money they are investing will go in drain, i just hope they can throw all in to make alonso WDC and next year Jr.Stroll can dream about it (100% cant win it)
McLaren build their own rear suspension, only Mercedes and Aston Martin have the 2024 Merc rear suspension (Williams are using the 2023 Merc rear suspension).
Mercedes runs very low with the car and doesn't have the problems that Aston Martin has. So I don't understand why you consider the rear suspension a problem.

OnEcRiTiCaL
OnEcRiTiCaL

Very nice and easy to understand the tyres. Since lap35 everybody running the same time in the top 5. Even Verstappen!
https://www.reddit.com/media?url=https% ... bf735bc9fc

diffuser

xReVo wrote:
10 Mar 2024, 23:23
Alo_Fan wrote:
max_speed wrote:

Mercedes runs very low with the car and doesn't have the problems that Aston Martin has. So I don't understand why you consider the rear suspension a problem.
If it's the rear suspension, it's not the suspension design that is the problem. It would be how it's being implemented in the AMR24.

diffuser

issey wrote:
10 Mar 2024, 23:04
OnEcRiTiCaL wrote:
10 Mar 2024, 21:11
diffuser wrote:

I think that they are better with less fuel and have more tyre wear than 2023 has something to do with the suspension. I read somewhere that they softened the rear suspension and antirollbar after FP2 which resulted in better race pace in the race and lower tyre deg but compromised the quali pace. The Mercedes suspension is new I think it’s mainly setup wise with experience and upgrades I think the problem should be fixed
Remember that by the end of 2023 AMR didn't really have a tire edge on anybody in the top 5 but maybe Ferrari.

diffuser

KimiRai wrote:
Alonso:
"As it sometimes happened last year, certain results are not valued. It's a fifth, normal, neither good nor bad, but I don't think it's where we should be. We should be ninth. With Carlos [Sainz] out because of the medical problem we got that position, and then Hamilton and Norris were out because of the safety car. The two McLarens and Mercedes couldn't stop at the same time, so they were left out. We made good use of that strategy."

"It was qualifying for me the whole race because George was relentless, I didn't want him to take the DRS because then you get into that game of not doing optimal laps, because you have to use the battery at different points so he doesn't overtake you and you lose a lot of time. I wanted to keep him behind by more than a second and they were very mentally demanding laps, I even touched the wall on one occasion. I'm very, very happy with the result. It was demanding and stressful, physically and mentally. I'm going to sleep well."

"We are missing three or four tenths of a second of evolution in the car, of bringing in improvements [parts] that will give us those three or four tenths. With that margin the races change direction and you have the pace they have. We are fifth, we were fifth in Abu Dhabi, Bahrain and here. With one lap we managed to warm up the tyres and get them ready for qualifying, we've done well in these first two races, but then we're back to where we deserve to be. A bit behind McLaren and Mercedes. Maybe Ferrari and Red Bull are a step ahead of the others and that will be the hardest for us to catch."

"We have started well, positive. Both in Bahrain and here we were between eight tenths and one second quicker than last year. The 2024 car is clearly much better, but everyone has improved. Last year they finished very strong in the top four and have maintained that momentum of having good cars. But we have seen. Here we have had an evolution in the brake (air) intake, that has given us a little bit of a step up from Bahrain. In the next races we will continue to have things. Last year we didn't have this, I saw a very good Aston at the beginning of the year but until Canada we didn't put in a single new part. This year we will do the opposite, the car is good but it's just a base, we will change everything during the year like McLaren did in 2023."
Notice how much more positive he is about the upgrades this year? He came right out early last year and stated that they might struggle with them. The move last year effected the upgrades.

-wkst-
-wkst-

diffuser wrote:
11 Mar 2024, 03:19
xReVo wrote:
10 Mar 2024, 23:23
Alo_Fan wrote:

If it's the rear suspension, it's not the suspension design that is the problem. It would be how it's being implemented in the AMR24.
For sure, or something related that is in the responsibility of AMR. Otherwise Mercedes would have deg issues too.

Positive: there are a lot of brains in Silverstone, they have 2 weeks now. Melbourne is no permanent race track, but has F2 and F3 and other support series this year, so also FP1 and FP3 (no driving in the dark anymore for months...) will be usable - a lot of time for testing different things.

diffuser

-wkst- wrote:
10 Mar 2024, 20:41
However Pirelli goes a step softer this year in Melbourne.

Braking (in)stability is maybe a good point to discuss. Not only once I read (think even STR mentioned it) that this area is a bit of a problem.
Don't forget, all the tires got changed later in 2023 to tires that didn't wear as much. So it probably comes back the same thing as last year.

diffuser

https://grandpx.news/alonso-eyeing-a-mo ... -upgrades/
De La Rosa “When you want and have to improve in F1, you can only achieve it with changes or improvements,” he noted. “This is no secret. The team’s objective is not to race with the same car for two races in a row. There is no improvement plan for Australia, but they are in the oven.