2024 Aston Martin | Aramco F1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
SSJ4
SSJ4

Re: 2024 Aston Martin | Aramco F1 Team

Apart from rumours about red bull and Ferrari bringing updates for Japan.

Makes sense to wait for European swing starting in imola for upgrades

xReVo
xReVo

SSJ4 wrote:
11 Mar 2024, 15:51
Apart from rumours about red bull and Ferrari bringing updates for Japan.

Makes sense to wait for European swing starting in imola for upgrades
No considering that Alonso has to make a decision quickly

xReVo
xReVo

diffuser wrote:
11 Mar 2024, 03:19
xReVo wrote:
10 Mar 2024, 23:23
Alo_Fan wrote:
10 Mar 2024, 23:11

McLaren build their own rear suspension, only Mercedes and Aston Martin have the 2024 Merc rear suspension (Williams are using the 2023 Merc rear suspension).
Mercedes runs very low with the car and doesn't have the problems that Aston Martin has. So I don't understand why you consider the rear suspension a problem.
If it's the rear suspension, it's not the suspension design that is the problem. It would be how it's being implemented in the AMR24.
Yes, but Mercedes' rear suspension wasn't done at the last moment, probably at the beginning of 2023 they communicated their project to Aston and consequently the AMR24 was born on that.

-wkst-
-wkst-

xReVo wrote:
11 Mar 2024, 16:47
diffuser wrote:
xReVo wrote:
10 Mar 2024, 23:23

Mercedes runs very low with the car and doesn't have the problems that Aston Martin has. So I don't understand why you consider the rear suspension a problem.
If it's the rear suspension, it's not the suspension design that is the problem. It would be how it's being implemented in the AMR24.
Yes, but Mercedes' rear suspension wasn't done at the last moment, probably at the beginning of 2023 they communicated their project to Aston and consequently the AMR24 was born on that.
Vowles (Williams) said that they decided to use the old suspension that they were able to start the wind tunnel runs 4 months earlier (April 2023).

It's fascinating how the tone changed from ALO in the public since last year. No negative comments about the team, absolutely not. But way more demanding, knowing his position and his career status. From "it's a privilege to drive for AMR" to "let*s see if I continue, depends on myself, the car or if I have others options".

Personally I still believe that it's AMR for (at least) a 3rd season, or retirement. Neither Mercedes nor RBR will take him, other options are worse.

@updates to "please" ALO
How old are you? Do you really believe that AMR can move an upgrade forward just because of a decision of a driver? They build new parts, when they believe it's worth to. No reason to spend a lot of money in the cost cap era for a new underfloor (for example) when it's only worth half a tenth.

diffuser

-wkst- wrote:
11 Mar 2024, 17:09
xReVo wrote:
diffuser wrote:

Vowles (Williams) said that they decided to use the old suspension that they were able to start the wind tunnel runs 4 months earlier (April 2023).

It's fascinating how the tone changed from ALO in the public since last year. No negative comments about the team, absolutely not. But way more demanding, knowing his position and his career status. From "it's a privilege to drive for AMR" to "let*s see if I continue, depends on myself, the car or if I have others options".

Personally I still believe that it's AMR for (at least) a 3rd season, or retirement. Neither Mercedes nor RBR will take him, other options are worse.

@updates to "please" ALO
How old are you? Do you really believe that AMR can move an upgrade forward just because of a decision of a driver? They build new parts, when they believe it's worth to. No reason to spend a lot of money in the cost cap era for a new underfloor (for example) when it's only worth half a tenth.
Horner said that he was seriously looking at Alonso before Perez had that famous drive in abu dhabi was it ?

That being said RBR looks like a powder keg right now. Marko leaking data cause he wants Horner gone. Now Horner, after learning that Marko was the leak, is trying to oust Marko. Max came to Marko's defence. Max's dad just freaking out in general. Horner's reply, to Marko and max, was "Nobody's forcing anyone to stay at RBR against their will". Based on what Horner's has said about Alonso in the past, he'd be considered a spark to that powder keg, I don't believe that. Off the race track they are a mess. We'll have to see if that clears, I think it will. I don't think Alonso would be option unless it does. If it explodes, we'll need to see what the fallout is. Someone said the woman was threatening to take Horner to Court in the UK. So everything would become very public and give the edge to Marko. It might force Horner's hand to leave RBR. In which case, there would be no way Marko would have Alonso.

Krack said that Alonso was a REAL motivator. So maybe people are working harder longer, try to please and keep ALonso.

xReVo
xReVo

-wkst- wrote:
xReVo wrote:
diffuser wrote:

@updates to "please" ALO
He is the second or first fastest driver on the grid, everything else counts for nothing. Aston Martin has decided to be a top team and must behave as such, otherwise they will have spent money for no reason, but they know this too. It is normal that after last year's season the bar is raised and it is no longer acceptable to simply aim for the points zone. As I had already said in the pre-season, I care little about what Vowles did and Williams' performances confirm what I was saying

NAPI10
NAPI10

xReVo wrote:
11 Mar 2024, 20:59
-wkst- wrote:
xReVo wrote:

@updates to "please" ALO
He is the second or first fastest driver on the grid, everything else counts for nothing. Aston Martin has decided to be a top team and must behave as such, otherwise they will have spent money for no reason, but they know this too. It is normal that after last year's season the bar is raised and it is no longer acceptable to simply aim for the points zone. As I had already said in the pre-season, I care little about what Vowles did and Williams' performances confirm what I was saying
AM wants to retain Alonso; they have expressed it multiple times. That been said , Alonso won't be able to dictate upgrade schedule. Team will be transparent & share all the details but won't get into flattery business. They have already burned hands with development shenanigans last year.

xReVo
xReVo

NAPI10 wrote:
11 Mar 2024, 21:29
xReVo wrote:
-wkst- wrote:

@updates to "please" ALO
AM wants to retain Alonso; they have expressed it multiple times. That been said , Alonso won't be able to dictate upgrade schedule. Team will be transparent & share all the details but won't get into flattery business. They have already burned hands with development shenanigans last year.
I think Dan Fallows himself said there will be aggressive and frequent updates, so it's not Alonso's idea. However, in my opinion Aston Martin should think very thoroughly about 2026 from now on, otherwise they will be left behind.

KimiRai
KimiRai

There are really only two suitable locations to bring the first important batch of upgrades with the 2024 calendar, Suzuka or Imola. China doesn't make much sense, it's a track that has never been tested in the ground effect regulations so you have no reference plus it's a sprint weekend, Miami is also a sprint weekend and then you have Imola which is the first European stop and closer to the factories. So logic would say Imola most likely for Aston. In the meantime, if we're lucky at best little details here and there like in Jeddah, some wing option and circuit specific parts, and further the understanding of the car and setup.

OnEcRiTiCaL
OnEcRiTiCaL

xReVo wrote:
11 Mar 2024, 23:35
NAPI10 wrote:
11 Mar 2024, 21:29
xReVo wrote:

I think Dan Fallows himself said there will be aggressive and frequent updates, so it's not Alonso's idea. However, in my opinion Aston Martin should think very thoroughly about 2026 from now on, otherwise they will be left behind.
They think about 2026 of course, but is an totally different group and organisation. I think you really don't understand how F1 team work.:S

KimiRai
KimiRai

Now that you mention 2026
Bob Bell: "It's important to fully integrate the engine with the rest of the car. At Renault, my role was to stress the need for this integration and to push it as far as possible."

"In F1, where it's all about marginal gains, the benefits of full integration are tangible. It's not just about the chassis or engine design, how they fit together, but rather how they operate together, the harmony of the control systems, how you make the car work to score points on Sunday afternoon."

"Until now, that advantage has been the preserve of Mercedes and Ferrari. Given the sophistication of today's powertrains, being a factory team is a major advantage. It's a much more integrated challenge than what I've experienced previously."

"At Renault, being separated by the English Channel complicated things a little. It's much simpler for Ferrari, where all the departments are housed under the same roof. In comparison, it's more difficult for Mercedes, because Brackley and Brixworth are some thirty kilometres apart. However, there's no big difference between being separated by 30 km or 300 km: either you're in the same building, or you're not."
https://f1i.autojournal.fr/magazine/mag ... in-alonso/

Seems a good signing for 2026.
Last edited by KimiRai on 12 Mar 2024, 04:10, edited 4 times in total.

zoroastar

KimiRai wrote:
10 Mar 2024, 19:20
Alonso explicitly mentioned the update on the front corner that it gave them a little bit of an improvement. I messed with brightness and contrast on some photos and compared them with Bahrain but didn't see anything new on the outside. I don't think he is lying there, so it must be something you can't really see from shots taken from the front, or I'm just blind :lol:
probably something like changing camber, or one of the many other things they do to these cars that most people have no clue about. and cant easily see.

Otromundo

I think they are making a qualifying car and that the circuit where this is most important is Monaco. I imagine that if I have thought about it, they have thought about it before.

They may tune it up at Imola as a safety measure, but I think the current car is designed with Monaco in mind first.

As for the car, I think they will continue to try to improve the airflow around the front wheels, trying to get more air out from under the car and deciding what they want the shape of the side air intakes to be. RB has gone back to having the front wing tip without a lower "spoon", we will see what McL does. The suspensions must be checked, as well as the ground clearance. We haven't even been able to see how the rear wing works in DRS yet... but all this is normal for an F1 team. Especially if you are paired with 2 others, all trying to get 3rd position.

I am more concerned about what we do not see as clearly. The car seems a little lazy, as if the gearbox has too long gear ratio. The rear suspension is almost a mystery: MB and McL are also studying the matter. And we have never seen the bottom of the car or those of the other cars. When the latter alone can be the cause of all evils.

It should also be noted that MB has reduced the dimensions of the gearbox and now drivers sit a little further back.

It would be best to fully understand what is happening and keep in mind that there may be overlapping issues that require special attention. To not get lost.

In Melbourne we will see what happens. I think the McL will fly in the fast corners and the MB in the straights. The main objective is to travel with them.

I'm not talking about Ferrari or RB because it's not relevant. For now, they are ahead.
Believe half of what you see and none of what you hear.

Andi76
Andi76

First Floor Picture

-wkst-
-wkst-

To be honest, with my non-CFD eyes their floor still looks very simple compared to the RBR one we saw last year...

Michael Schmidt (AMuS video blog):

What he hears is that the 2024er car is completely different, also concept-wise, it's in the border area more on the limit, ALO can cope with it, STR not so much. That explains also the big gap in Q between the two. That shows that the AMR24 is hard to drive, which is not a bad thing per se, some cars are fast when they are hard to drive, VER for example can live very well with that, others not so much. AMR have still a lot to learn about their new car to extract the perfomance/potential (which is MAYBE in the car). But currently the (full) potential can't be shown because the car is it's too much on a razor's edge.

I found itt moreover interesting that a Merc engineer told him (about the Mercedes), that they have problems with the ground clearance, that they loose too much DF at certain ground clearance levels at the back, but don't know why.