2024 Aston Martin | Aramco F1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
Juzh

Re: 2024 Aston Martin | Aramco F1 Team

alonso's q3 lap from saudi 1.27.846

https://streamable.com/4777o9

K1Plus
K1Plus

Juzh wrote:
14 Mar 2024, 15:19

The car looks great over one lap, capable of challenging the Ferraris. If the team can iron out the race pace through setup tweaks and a couple of minor updates, they're in the chasing pack then. They can battle with McLaren and Mercedes in the race for now, but will need something soon.

SSJ4
SSJ4

wonder how difficult that car is to actually drive and what the operating window is. stroll is way further off in the first two races of this year compared to last year in single lap pace and thats without two broken wrists like last year

-wkst-
-wkst-

It must be a difficult but fast car to drive, as STR clearly shows pace (both Q1 laps this year - 3-4 tenths each only away from ALOs Q3 times - keep in mind track evolution).

But he can't show his pace on a regular basis.

diffuser

BTW, I spoke to Stroll's Car and he said it'd hard to be driven by Stroll! :)

xReVo
xReVo

K1Plus wrote:
14 Mar 2024, 17:32
Juzh wrote:

The car looks great over one lap, capable of challenging the Ferraris. If the team can iron out the race pace through setup tweaks and a couple of minor updates, they're in the chasing pack then. They can battle with McLaren and Mercedes in the race for now, but will need something soon.
Last year we were ahead of Ferrari at the start and are you surprised if we challenge Ferrari? Among other things, at the moment in the race they have half a second per lap better than Aston

KimiRai
KimiRai

delete
Last edited by KimiRai on 15 Mar 2024, 01:38, edited 5 times in total.

K1Plus
K1Plus

xReVo wrote:
14 Mar 2024, 19:00
K1Plus wrote:
14 Mar 2024, 17:32
Juzh wrote:

Last year we were ahead of Ferrari at the start and are you surprised if we challenge Ferrari? Among other things, at the moment in the race they have half a second per lap better than Aston
I said Aston Martin can challenge Ferrari only in quali pace. Race pace is a different story where Ferrari is much better

KimiRai
KimiRai

Racefans says Stroll was struggling to get his tyres up to temperature at the start of the race

https://www.racefans.net/2024/03/14/my- ... -the-wall/

KimiRai
KimiRai

The 2024 car, in fact, presents a significant discrepancy between qualifying and the race. A characteristic also experienced in the last campaign but on the contrary, when the AMR23 struggled on Saturday and then often surprised on Sunday. The technicians are working on it and, according to the information gathered by our editorial staff, they hope to correct this imbalance thanks to the first package of updates which will be put on track in April.
https://www.funoanalisitecnica.com/2024 ... -2026.html

April? Wasnt the first package of updates supposed to arrive at Imola? Well I guess we'll have to see if they are right or wrong

-wkst-
-wkst-

We will see if that's true. April could only mean Suzuka in my opinion, because Shanghai is a sprint weekend.

Imola is a safe bet for "normal" developments/evolutions of wings, floor, side pod - the usual update stuff.

It's the question of how they want to "correct this imbalance"? Maybe there are certain changes needed to a specific part of the car, they wouldn't do in a "normal update cycle".

diffuser

-wkst- wrote:
15 Mar 2024, 12:50
We will see if that's true. April could only mean Suzuka in my opinion, because Shanghai is a sprint weekend.

Imola is a safe bet for "normal" developments/evolutions of wings, floor, side pod - the usual update stuff.

It's the question of how they want to "correct this imbalance"? Maybe there are certain changes needed to a specific part of the car, they wouldn't do in a "normal update cycle".
They said that the tire wear and difference in speed between Quali and race pace was a surprise.That they only noticed in Bahrain. Presuming that is true, then how do they get parts out so quickly? It will be just 3 weeks from Bahrain to Australia. I'm with you, it's a setup change or something like chopping off/modifying or moving a piece of under flooring.

OnEcRiTiCaL
OnEcRiTiCaL

diffuser wrote:
15 Mar 2024, 14:39
-wkst- wrote:

They said that the tire wear and difference in speed between Quali and race pace was a surprise.That they only noticed in Bahrain. Presuming that is true, then how do they get parts out so quickly? It will be just 3 weeks from Bahrain to Australia. I'm with you, it's a setup change or something like chopping off/modifying or moving a piece of under flooring.
How dey get parts put so quickly is a nice question,probably just modification amd not full new parts. If we can trust what Aston communicatie to us, then they simulation accordingly to race pace was good ,but not for qualification. At qualification they was much faster than in the simulator. So I think first they have to understand why they faster in real life at qualification than in simulation. If they do so,they will understand also why they are slow at race. Is can be tyre temperature, tyre pressure, wheel tilt, ride height, floor edge or airflow which cooling down to much the tyres. Don't forget Stroll was pushing hard at race and couldn't heat up the tyres and of course there are no sun and nothing at night race. Let's see what happens in Australia is gonna be cold there and maybe raining.

-wkst-
-wkst-

diffuser wrote:
-wkst- wrote:

The article says April (we will see, so many reports about AMR updates were wrong in the past), so Suzuka or Shanghai - at least 5 weeks. But nobody can tell me, that AMR didn't knew about their potential after 3 days of testing.

OnEcRiTiCaL
OnEcRiTiCaL

-wkst- wrote:
15 Mar 2024, 16:43
diffuser wrote:
-wkst- wrote:

The article says April (we will see, so many reports about AMR updates were wrong in the past), so Suzuka or Shanghai - at least 5 weeks. But nobody can tell me, that AMR didn't knew about their potential after 3 days of testing.
Actually testing they was slower at qualifying but faster at race simulation overal. Only thing is changed the weather, because at test they was running race simulation midday or afternoon,when was sunny. The race was at evening without sunshine and less track temperatures I guess.