2024 Mclaren Formula 1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
willmesquita

Re: 2024 Mclaren Formula 1 Team

Seems we'll need wait a little more to be ahead of Ferrari or Red Bull, but Mercedes ir clear behind us in quali trim at least.
To do something well is so worthwhile that to die trying to do it better cannot be foolhardy. It would be a waste of life to do nothing with one's ability, for I feel that life is measured in achievement, not in years alone. ― Bruce McLaren

papayaorange.com.br

SmallSoldier
SmallSoldier

P4 and P6…. I’lll take it!

FittingMechanics
FittingMechanics

That is a good qualy result. P4 and P6. 40ms to P3 and 130ms to P2. No issues for anyone really (maybe ALO if he was on softs when he went off).

Just a reminder for everyone who jumps to conclusions after free practices.

Xero

Not bad at all! Race pace looked good, I think the team can really fight from there.

FittingMechanics
FittingMechanics

Oh and it might be P3/P5 if Perez gets his penalty.

Ground Effect
Ground Effect

Happy with this, not bad at all, let's hope the race pace pans out.
Q: (Stefano Mancini – La Stampa) Kimi, will you help Vettel to win his championship this year?
Kimi Raikkonen: I can only drive one car, obviously. 
@2018 Singapore Grand Prix drivers press conference.

Ben1980
Ben1980

That's as good as we can get. Maybe scruffy from Oscar could have taken advantage of Leclerc error. But, again shows the car is pretty good, just not quite with Ferrari or RBR (yet?)

SmallSoldier
SmallSoldier

FittingMechanics wrote:
23 Mar 2024, 08:01
That is a good qualy result. P4 and P6. 40ms to P3 and 130ms to P2. No issues for anyone really (maybe ALO if he was on softs when he went off).

Not only that… I still remember the comments after the launch of the cars on how the Aston Martin looked like a way better car… Or how Mercedes was leading the way with their front wing and how McLaren was underwhelming… Tell you that looks aren’t everything.

The silver lining is that the team knows what they need to improve to gain some lap time and are working on those things and we will see parts coming soon to try and address those weaknesses.

Let’s hope for a good race tomorrow!

organic

FittingMechanics wrote:
23 Mar 2024, 08:03
Oh and it might be P3/P5 if Perez gets his penalty.
Anyone have any footage / onboards of the incident? If so can it be put in the Australian GP thread

willmesquita

Great result P4/P6. But I was expecting a closer to P1 lap.
To do something well is so worthwhile that to die trying to do it better cannot be foolhardy. It would be a waste of life to do nothing with one's ability, for I feel that life is measured in achievement, not in years alone. ― Bruce McLaren

papayaorange.com.br

Ground Effect
Ground Effect

SmallSoldier wrote:
23 Mar 2024, 08:07
FittingMechanics wrote:

Not only that… I still remember the comments after the launch of the cars on how the Aston Martin looked like a way better car… Or how Mercedes was leading the way with their front wing and how McLaren was underwhelming… Tell you that looks aren’t everything.

The silver lining is that the team knows what they need to improve to gain some lap time and are working on those things and we will see parts coming soon to try and address those weaknesses.

Fully agreed! You can't even take the word of other F1 people outside the team. Allison was saying McLaren were behind Mercedes and Aston and they weren't far away from Red Bull.
Q: (Stefano Mancini – La Stampa) Kimi, will you help Vettel to win his championship this year?
Kimi Raikkonen: I can only drive one car, obviously. 
@2018 Singapore Grand Prix drivers press conference.

willmesquita

We improved 1.8s in one year at this track. Amazing evolution!

papayaorange.com.br

SmallSoldier
SmallSoldier

Ground Effect wrote:
23 Mar 2024, 08:10
SmallSoldier wrote:
FittingMechanics wrote:

Fully agreed! You can't even take the word of other F1 people outside the team. Allison was saying McLaren were behind Mercedes and Aston and they weren't far away from Red Bull.
Exactly, which proves that there is a lot that not even telemetry tells you at a first glance… The reality is that is very hard to get any kind of accurate information from Testing or Practice sessions, so many variables not known that is hard to predict.

I believe that McLaren’s current pace is encouraging, if the goal is to keep on closing in on the guys at the front, they are on that path… We all want them fighting for wins, but it’s not something that can be done in a winter, there is no silver bullet or one piece of innovation that will get you there… On the other hand, an smart methodical approach, making sure that what you bring to the track allows you to keep on chipping at the lap delta is the best way.

It’s a long season, we only have a couple of tracks… There is a lot to play for and the goal has to be to try to finish the season as close as you can in order to fight next year.

BMMR61

Under promise, over deliver, is the Stella way. There've been no nasty surprises since early signs at Bahrain that we hadn't progressed as much as we (fans) had hoped. We're promised a big upgrade at Miami but more likely Imola. Today Ferrari were still just out of reach but no disgrace. Anyone have the representative top speeds?

BMMR61

SmallSoldier wrote:
23 Mar 2024, 08:27
Ground Effect wrote:
23 Mar 2024, 08:10
SmallSoldier wrote:

Exactly, which proves that there is a lot that not even telemetry tells you at a first glance… The reality is that is very hard to get any kind of accurate information from Testing or Practice sessions, so many variables not known that is hard to predict.

I believe that McLaren’s current pace is encouraging, if the goal is to keep on closing in on the guys at the front, they are on that path… We all want them fighting for wins, but it’s not something that can be done in a winter, there is no silver bullet or one piece of innovation that will get you there… On the other hand, an smart methodical approach, making sure that what you bring to the track allows you to keep on chipping at the lap delta is the best way.

It’s a long season, we only have a couple of tracks… There is a lot to play for and the goal has to be to try to finish the season as close as you can in order to fight next year.
Indeed SS. The McLaren methodical approach which has been greatly evident since last season's upgrade has continued, and, without wanting to kick a dog when it's down, Mercedes. Oh dear! False dawns and promises and claims of having found the problem and the cure is on the car tomorrow.... What a disappointment for their legion of fans. Hamilton seems to have reached the limit of his patience and I'm sure he saw something that led to his decision to leave. Today Merc weren't in the fight with us and we were pretty close to Ferrari - hats off to Carlos, a very good man!