2024 Mclaren Formula 1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
willmesquita

Re: 2024 Mclaren Formula 1 Team

We need that kind of luck at Suzuka, Catar or A1 Ring!
To do something well is so worthwhile that to die trying to do it better cannot be foolhardy. It would be a waste of life to do nothing with one's ability, for I feel that life is measured in achievement, not in years alone. ― Bruce McLaren

papayaorange.com.br

Macklaren
Macklaren

Good enough though there is a lingering feeling we may have been on track for a double podium. Hopefully in play for suzuka

Good gap to Mercedes in the championship

Mansell89
Mansell89

Super points haul - 3 improving results in the opening 3 races. Great to bag these points knowing that the performance upgrades (assuming they work of course) are in pipeline.

djos

Excellent racing and team work from the lads today. 3rd and 4th is a great result!
"In downforce we trust"

Ground Effect
Ground Effect

P2 was right there for the taking, maybe even P2-3. Still lacking in the strategy department a bit. Lando had the pace to hold on to P2, In hindsight, he should have gotten to pit first. But still a podium and strong points haul, putting more daylight to Mercedes.
Q: (Stefano Mancini – La Stampa) Kimi, will you help Vettel to win his championship this year?
Kimi Raikkonen: I can only drive one car, obviously. 
@2018 Singapore Grand Prix drivers press conference.

MCLvamos
MCLvamos

Great result, we threw away P2 with the strategy though. Still a good haul of points though!

Harisudhan
Harisudhan

Great race. Little peeved leclerc got the fastest lap with the help of backmarkers

proteus

Another solid result. So far they made tiny steps forward race by race. Hopefully it happens in Japan as well.
If i would get the money to start my own F1 team, i would revive Arrows

FittingMechanics
FittingMechanics

Ground Effect wrote:
24 Mar 2024, 07:45
P2 was right there for the taking, maybe even P2-3. Still lacking in the strategy department a bit. Lando had the pace to hold on to P2, In hindsight, he should have gotten to pit first. But still a podium and strong points haul, putting more daylight to Mercedes.
Honestly I think we cannot really blame it on strategy. I have no issues with it. On both cases Leclerc went to pit early - on the second stop Lando was about to stop but Leclerc was called in on the same lap.

A shame we didn't get a late race SC/restart to make the race more exciting.

LionsHeart
LionsHeart

A wonderful race for McLaren fans! I'm very happy for the team. High racing pace, quite good pit stops. Due to our speed, we got to where we wanted to go, consistently. mwillems turned out to be more accurate in his predictions. Well done!

I'm glad that Lando and Oscar were able to ride at a high pace during the race. This means the car can save its tires.

_cerber1

Good job guys!!! =D> =D> =D>

mwillems

LionsHeart wrote:
24 Mar 2024, 08:00
A wonderful race for McLaren fans! I'm very happy for the team. High racing pace, quite good pit stops. Due to our speed, we got to where we wanted to go, consistently. mwillems turned out to be more accurate in his predictions. Well done!

I'm glad that Lando and Oscar were able to ride at a high pace during the race. This means the car can save its tires.
Where are my Rubles 🤣

I'm even more pleased for Carlos, without his medical issues he'd be leading the drivers championship.

I think that RB won't have it all their way at Suzuka and I think that we will have a shot at beating Ferrari there.

I didn't watch the race. It reads like we lost on strategy but I'm not sure how true it is but we weren't far behind the Ferraris at the finish.
Give a man a fire, and he will be warm for a night.
Set a man on fire, and he will be warm for the rest of his life.

MCLvamos
MCLvamos

FittingMechanics wrote:
24 Mar 2024, 07:59
Ground Effect wrote:
Honestly I think we cannot really blame it on strategy. I have no issues with it. On both cases Leclerc went to pit early - on the second stop Lando was about to stop but Leclerc was called in on the same lap.

Could have definitely gone more aggressive on the second stint and stopped a bit earlier to undercut Charles. And yes the first stop was a bit more unavoidable but we were still caught out a little. No big blunders but we definitely didn't maximise today.

BMMR61

No strategy would have achieved a better result. Apart from Max's rare DNF there was no luck going our way, hey that's OK we are more interested in improving the competitiveness than pure results which can be deceptive. Even Checo's 3 place drop didn't make much difference, Lando was quicker and Oscar had the edge in the final stint. Again, Oscar did a better tyre management job in the final stint , showing he's a fast learner. Most people don't regard how big a job learning this craft is, look at Yuki who is finally getting race results even if he's still a hot head.

The pace relative to Ferrari who in turn were competitive with RedBull is encouraging and bodes well for the Suzuka circuit. We're clear 3rd in the constructors title now, shove that little truth you pundits who ignore the steady rise.

mwillems

MCLvamos wrote:
24 Mar 2024, 08:13
FittingMechanics wrote:
24 Mar 2024, 07:59
Ground Effect wrote:

Could have definitely gone more aggressive on the second stint and stopped a bit earlier to undercut Charles. And yes the first stop was a bit more unavoidable but we were still caught out a little. No big blunders but we definitely didn't maximise today.
I was saying to Lionsheart that the drivers would struggle to make a difference and that the Pit Crew and Pit Wall would be the ones to make a difference. Sounds like Ferrari didn't give us that opportunity.

Seems like Lando drove a solid race with Oscar not far off, but with a couple of mistakes. Nice to see the two drivers closer this season. Race pace seems to be coming to Oscar with more work to do on that and consistency and Lando is very good since Bahrain Q, definately they are looking like they can deliver results together this year.

Can't wait for Suzuka. We won't take pole without luck but it will be tight at the top and I fancy our chances in the race.
Last edited by mwillems on 24 Mar 2024, 08:40, edited 2 times in total.
Give a man a fire, and he will be warm for a night.
Set a man on fire, and he will be warm for the rest of his life.