2024 Australian Grand Prix - Melbourne, March 22 - 24

For ease of use, there is one thread per grand prix where you can discuss everything during that specific GP weekend. You can find these threads here.
Cs98
Cs98

Re: 2024 Australian Grand Prix - Melbourne, March 22 - 24

TFSA wrote:
24 Mar 2024, 08:59
Cs98 wrote:
24 Mar 2024, 08:54
"Miles behind", sigh... He was within half a second
Half a second in race distance isn't the same as half a second reaction time, unless Alonsos car somehow magically comes to a complete halt instantaniously the moment he touches the brakes. A brake tap will slow his car down, but it won't make Russell collide with him within half a second.

Russell had way more than half a second to react. This is clearly visible in the video.
Having raced I completely disagree. The thing about a brake check that is so dangerous is driving is based on anticipation of where to brake and when to turn. No one is sitting there anticipating the driver ahead suddenly braking 100m earlier, so when he does that it completely throws you off. As we saw here, George did react plenty in time to not crash into the back of Alonso, but the entire point behind the stunt is to throw him off with the surprise and the dirty air. It's a dirty move, it's an extremely dangerous move, and it's a move which if we just pawn it off on Russell sets a terrible precedent for more dangerous stunts in the future. Being within half a second is plenty close enough to be caught out by this.

TFSA

Cs98 wrote:
24 Mar 2024, 09:09
Having raced I completely disagree.
I edited my previous post (the one you're replying to) - check it out.
After watching Russell onboard again with audio, i might be more inclined to agree with you. I'm now 50/50. Will need to see telemetry from Russell before I'm completely decided.

performergr
performergr

TeamKoolGreen
TeamKoolGreen

Cs98 wrote:
TFSA wrote:
Cs98 wrote:
24 Mar 2024, 08:54
"Miles behind", sigh... He was within half a second
Half a second in race distance isn't the same as half a second reaction time, unless Alonsos car somehow magically comes to a complete halt instantaniously the moment he touches the brakes. A brake tap will slow his car down, but it won't make Russell collide with him within half a second.

Russell had way more than half a second to react. This is clearly visible in the video.
Having raced I completely disagree. The thing about a brake check that is so dangerous is driving is based on anticipation of where to brake and when to turn. No one is sitting there anticipating the driver ahead suddenly braking 100m earlier, so when he does that it completely throws you off. As we saw here, George did react plenty in time to not crash into the back of Alonso, but the entire point behind the stunt is to throw him off with the surprise and the dirty air. It's a dirty move, it's an extremely dangerous move, and it's a move which if we just pawn it off on Russell sets a terrible precedent for more dangerous stunts in the future. Being within half a second is plenty close enough to be caught out by this.
Im a fan of both drivers. But this was dirty as hell by Alonso and we don't need this in the sport. If Alonso gets nothing , it means this is ok. And we will see it every weekend by all the drivers. At tracks like Saudi

avantman
avantman

TeamKoolGreen wrote:
24 Mar 2024, 08:42
Russell is a British pre 2020 Max Verstappen. He runs his mid machinery on the edge all day. And crashes. Nothing wrong with that.
what a load of nonsense.

mzso
mzso

Wouter wrote:
23 Mar 2024, 22:06
search wrote:
23 Mar 2024, 21:12
Clocks will also change in Europe next week, though, so normally it shouldn't make a difference?

But drivers complained about the low sun last year at the end of the race, so maybe that plays a part as well.
Tomorrow 3 PM in Melbourne is 5 AM in Europe because of not moving the clock.
In two weeks April 7 when it is in Melbourne 3 PM in is in Europe 7 AM because both countries moved the clock.

They discussed to start the race tomorrow at 4 PM so it would be 6 AM in Europe but because drivers complained about the low sun
last year at the end of the ( looong) race they wouldn't move it to 4 AM.
I didn't think of this. So the past few AUS GPs took place in April, I guess.

Cs98
Cs98

TeamKoolGreen wrote:
24 Mar 2024, 09:29
Cs98 wrote:
TFSA wrote:

Im a fan of both drivers. But this was dirty as hell by Alonso and we don't need this in the sport. If Alonso gets nothing , it means this is ok. And we will see it every weekend by all the drivers. At tracks like Saudi
He knows it too. He accelerated out of T6 normally, then a few seconds later he notices Russell is gone and suddenly starts reporting a "throttle issue". For the first moments after that the throttle trace is kind of normal, no jittery nonsense, then suddenly you can see in the telemetry he starts going going rapidly on and off throttle, which is obviously making the car sound all jittery and awful. This is the last lap throttle trace Alonso vs Stroll under VSC. If you were trying to simulate an issue and make the car sound like its got rocks in the engine, this is how you would do it.

TFSA

Watched the onboard with Russell telemetry now. He didn't have a chance to avoid that. So i retract my previous statements.

This should be a severe penalty for Alonso unless there truly was something that caused him to brake early.

Strange we don't have a decision yet. This is taking way too long. We're almost 3 hours past the race now. Scrutineering is even done, and my F5 button is crying out in agony.
Last edited by TFSA on 24 Mar 2024, 10:27, edited 2 times in total.

DGP123
DGP123

Sevach wrote:
24 Mar 2024, 07:17
Boring GP, but a different kind of boring lol
Yeah, exactly my thoughts. Bar the surprise of Max’ DNF and the late GR incident, nothing happened in between. The racing is just so bad.

KimiRai
KimiRai

TFSA wrote:
24 Mar 2024, 10:04
Watched the onboard with Russell telemetry now. He didn't have a chance to avoid that. So i retract my previous statements.
Russell did not have to avoid any car. Not sure what onboard you are watching. He went off the track because his rear snapped due to dirty air & Mercedes' garbage balance. It's a fair play.

TFSA

KimiRai wrote:
24 Mar 2024, 10:27
Russell did not have to avoid any car. Not sure what onboard you are watching. He went off the track because his rear snapped due to dirty air & Mercedes garbage balance. It's a fair play.
He didn't have a chance to react, and therefore keep more distance to Alonso, and as such, avoid the dirty air that caused his snap.

It's a simply question: Could Russell, not knowing that Alonso would brake early, reasonably have done anything different here that would have prevented this. And the answer is no. As such, that opens up Alonso to a penalty IF (and only if) the stewards determine that he did it to intentionally hamper Russell, and that it was unnecessary and dangerous.

TheGkbrk
TheGkbrk

Nothing extreme, kinda cheeky but nothing to be penalized. They weren’t even that close. I mean if you do it like how Max did against Lewis at the end of a SC, an understandable penalty.

KimiRai
KimiRai

TFSA wrote:
24 Mar 2024, 10:30
KimiRai wrote:
24 Mar 2024, 10:27
Russell did not have to avoid any car. Not sure what onboard you are watching. He went off the track because his rear snapped due to dirty air & Mercedes garbage balance. It's a fair play.
He didn't have a chance to react, and therefore keep more distance to Alonso, and as such, avoid the dirty air that caused his snap.

It's a simply question: Could Russell, not knowing that Alonso would brake early, reasonably have done anything different here that would have prevented this. And the answer is no. As such, that opens up Alonso to a penalty IF (and only if) the stewards determine that he did it to intentionally hamper Russell, and that it was unnecessary and dangerous.
For me it's the same defensive trick that Alonso has been doing all his career, deliberately slowing down in some corners. Did it against Schumacher at Imola for example. It would be a novelty if penalised.

yelistener

Nevermind the shitty image quality. Source onboard has been like this whole wknd.

InsaneX_Badger

20 second penalty, drops to 8th. Not enough imo