2024 Mclaren Formula 1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
BrunoH
BrunoH

Re: 2024 Mclaren Formula 1 Team

men do i miss the old Mclaren days. f1 in general and the engine noises etc etc... kind of like this:

shame we have to deal with these heavy long cars of today.

mwillems

780hp V12 on a technically advanced Kart. Wonderful.

Some of the older Mclarens race at the Historic F1 Championship

In fact I may try and go this year.
Give a man a fire, and he will be warm for a night.
Set a man on fire, and he will be warm for the rest of his life.

FittingMechanics
FittingMechanics

I don't think it really matters a lot who the owner of the group/team is. Especially in an age of the cost cap. Positive for Bahraini ownership is that they are likely seeing this as a prestige thing and not a profit thing.

De Wet

BrunoH wrote:
26 Mar 2024, 17:59
men do i miss the old Mclaren days. f1 in general and the engine noises etc etc... kind of like this:

1000% With You On This One...

F1 is turning into sh*t a since 2014... :oops:
Last edited by De Wet on 27 Mar 2024, 15:31, edited 1 time in total.

De Wet

proteus wrote:
26 Mar 2024, 15:58
CHT wrote:
26 Mar 2024, 14:42
Mclaren is now a Bahraini team. Aramco will acquire Aston Martins next I guess?

https://www.msn.com/en-us/autos/enthusi ... r-BB1kwKAu
I really dont know how to feel about that. If they only sign checks and allow competent people to lead the team, it should do ok. But if they take over, then it will be a problem.

Since they're an oil producing country they might put pressure to remove the electrical nonsense we have at the moment... [-o< [-o<

mwillems

proteus wrote:
26 Mar 2024, 15:58
CHT wrote:
26 Mar 2024, 14:42
Mclaren is now a Bahraini team. Aramco will acquire Aston Martins next I guess?

https://www.msn.com/en-us/autos/enthusi ... r-BB1kwKAu
I really dont know how to feel about that. If they only sign checks and allow competent people to lead the team, it should do ok. But if they take over, then it will be a problem.
Mclaren Racing is only part owned by the Group and it is a fully separate structure from the group, fully insulated from anything that happens. If the group struggled for liquidity then the groups shareholding would be sold but the racing entity would not be interfered with unless any new shareholders decided too, and I'm sure they wouldn't.

The team did rely on money from the Bahrainis in the past, and even up until very recently, but the team is now wholly self sufficient as Zak brown has been quoted as saying. The group are only one part of the shareholding with 30% held by MSP Sports Capital. But it was the Bahrainis that were largely bankrolling the group and team.

Latifi's name was bandied around after he made a £200m investment, but that investment was into the group, not racing.

mwillems

mwillems wrote:
24 Mar 2024, 21:57
Not enough laps from Max to tell, but there's the idea dangling that we could have beat Max on merit today anyway... and it will not be answered in any way at all, sadly.
So Stella is also dangling the same idea that we could have beaten Max anyway.

https://www.planetf1.com/news/mclaren-m ... ppen-claim

the EDGE
the EDGE

mwillems wrote:
27 Mar 2024, 18:27
mwillems wrote:
Not enough laps from Max to tell, but there's the idea dangling that we could have beat Max on merit today anyway... and it will not be answered in any way at all, sadly.

I don't think he is saying we could have beaten Max, he's saying Lando could have got on the Podium, even if Max hadn't had the brake issue

And it's true, he should have beaten Charles. McLaren throw away 2nd (which would have been 3rd) by not getting Lando to cover off Charles when he pitted

mwillems

the EDGE wrote:
27 Mar 2024, 23:23
mwillems wrote:
27 Mar 2024, 18:27
mwillems wrote:

I don't think he is saying we could have beaten Max, he's saying Lando could have got on the Podium, even if Max hadn't had the brake issue

And it's true, he should have beaten Charles. McLaren throw away 2nd (which would have been 3rd) by not getting Lando to cover off Charles when he pitted
I took this paragraph to suggest that he thought that his tyres could let Max down and we could be faster on merit, if not saying it was certain.

“...I think potentially Verstappen, he already kind of started to complain even at the start of the race, so it looks like today, McLaren and Ferrari could’ve been there with Verstappen,” said McLaren team boss Stella

Sounds like fighting talk to me. He goes on to suggest that the gap isn't as big as we thought

"But the good news for McLaren and every one of Red Bull’s rivals, Stella thinks the RB20’s advantage is not as big as it was in the opening two rounds of the season where Red Bull clinched the 1-2 results.

He added: “The positive news is that this faster car is not faster by much at all. We were very close."

Dunno, to that sounds to me like he thinks we could have taken them. Not suggesting it was bang on, but feels like he is dangling the possibility.

Harisudhan
Harisudhan

Wasn't stella referencing the ferrari instead of redbull when he said, "This faster car is not faster by much at all" ?

mwillems

Harisudhan wrote:
28 Mar 2024, 03:23
Wasn't stella referencing the ferrari instead of redbull when he said, "This faster car is not faster by much at all" ?
The article is talking about RB from what I can see.

But the good news for McLaren and every one of Red Bull’s rivals, Stella thinks the RB20’s advantage is not as big as it was in the opening two rounds of the season where Red Bull clinched the 1-2 results.

He added: “The positive news is that this faster car is not faster by much at all. We were very close.

bauc

De Wet wrote:
27 Mar 2024, 13:23
BrunoH wrote:
26 Mar 2024, 17:59

1000% With You On This One...

F1 is turning into sh*t a since 2014... :oops:
Quite old video but my favorite by far Mclaren tribute on YouTube

Формула 1 на Македонски - The first ever Macedonian Formula 1 YouTube channel
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCJkjCv ... 6rVRgKASwg

Big Gun
Big Gun

BMMR61 wrote:
24 Mar 2024, 08:25
No strategy would have achieved a better result. Apart from Max's rare DNF there was no luck going our way, hey that's OK we are more interested in improving the competitiveness than pure results which can be deceptive. Even Checo's 3 place drop didn't make much difference, Lando was quicker and Oscar had the edge in the final stint. Again, Oscar did a better tyre management job in the final stint , showing he's a fast learner. Most people don't regard how big a job learning this craft is, look at Yuki who is finally getting race results even if he's still a hot head.

The pace relative to Ferrari who in turn were competitive with RedBull is encouraging and bodes well for the Suzuka circuit. We're clear 3rd in the constructors title now, shove that little truth you pundits who ignore the steady rise.
I dont get the Piasti hype, i mean he is good at Qualiying, But if Norris is not having any issues he still seems to have more raw pace then Oscar.
The big problem for Piastri his that he has average race pace (compared to Norris) and im not sure race pace can really be fixed. Have we ever had in the past a driver tha was average in race pace and was able to improve it? I cant think of anyone?

Emag
Emag

Big Gun wrote:
28 Mar 2024, 16:31
BMMR61 wrote:
No strategy would have achieved a better result. Apart from Max's rare DNF there was no luck going our way, hey that's OK we are more interested in improving the competitiveness than pure results which can be deceptive. Even Checo's 3 place drop didn't make much difference, Lando was quicker and Oscar had the edge in the final stint. Again, Oscar did a better tyre management job in the final stint , showing he's a fast learner. Most people don't regard how big a job learning this craft is, look at Yuki who is finally getting race results even if he's still a hot head.

The pace relative to Ferrari who in turn were competitive with RedBull is encouraging and bodes well for the Suzuka circuit. We're clear 3rd in the constructors title now, shove that little truth you pundits who ignore the steady rise.
I dont get the Piasti hype, i mean he is good at Qualiying, But if Norris is not having any issues he still seems to have more raw pace then Oscar.
The big problem for Piastri his that he has average race pace (compared to Norris) and im not sure race pace can really be fixed. Have we ever had in the past a driver tha was average in race pace and was able to improve it? I cant think of anyone?
Lando Norris

Got beaten 1-2 in terms of ratio of points in his maiden season against Sainz (2019).
It was almost 1-1 in 2020 a year later although he still got beaten.

It wasn't until 2021 when Lando had a pretty big jump in terms of race pace though, because he could finally manage the tires much better than previous seasons.

LionsHeart
LionsHeart

Emag wrote:
28 Mar 2024, 19:03
Big Gun wrote:
28 Mar 2024, 16:31
BMMR61 wrote:

Lando Norris

Got beaten 1-2 in terms of ratio of points in his maiden season against Sainz (2019).
It was almost 1-1 in 2020 a year later although he still got beaten.

It wasn't until 2021 when Lando had a pretty big jump in terms of race pace though, because he could finally manage the tires much better than previous seasons.
Only you didn’t mention how many reliability problems Lando’s car had. I don't remember Lando being much behind Carlos in race pace.