2024 Mclaren Formula 1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
FittingMechanics
FittingMechanics

Re: 2024 Mclaren Formula 1 Team

f1rules wrote:
02 Apr 2024, 14:22
Without knowing what happened, from the outside this looks like the logical move. They tried with 3, now they have two, where Marshall is purely concept, chassis and mechanical and Prodromou all aero. Sanchez was a bit of both, and was head of concept at ferrari. I see him as a more old fashioned top of pyramid type TD with responsability for all. And to put him level with marshall and prodromou with both their areas of expertise didnt really work. Whereas those two together seem very logical
Marshall is now quoted as being Chief Designer with three Technical Directors (probably under him).

I assume it is
Marshall - Chief Designer

Prodromou - Aero
Houldey - Engineering
Stella (interim) - Performance

f1rules
f1rules

no, now its only head of performance, before it was head of concept and performace, but it seem they wanted to place the car concept thing with Marshall
BMMR61 wrote:
02 Apr 2024, 12:42
That position was to be head of concept if I recall? Autosport report McLaren are actually looking for a replacement so the team's planned structure is to be maintained. Whenever a replacement can be found!

Darth-Piekus

Replacement you say. Thats easy. Get Andrian Newey and give him whatever he wants

f1rules
f1rules

maybe, im unsure, if the 4 of them are level, with andrea above, or marshall is above the three. In think they are more or less level but with marshall final say in mechanical car concept. No matter it makes good sense. Marshall and Prodromou with each their areas. Sanchez would be the one stepping on everyones toes i feel, because as previous head of concept and an aero background, he wanted influence on everything im quessing.
FittingMechanics wrote:
02 Apr 2024, 14:27
f1rules wrote:
Without knowing what happened, from the outside this looks like the logical move. They tried with 3, now they have two, where Marshall is purely concept, chassis and mechanical and Prodromou all aero. Sanchez was a bit of both, and was head of concept at ferrari. I see him as a more old fashioned top of pyramid type TD with responsability for all. And to put him level with marshall and prodromou with both their areas of expertise didnt really work. Whereas those two together seem very logical
Marshall is now quoted as being Chief Designer with three Technical Directors (probably under him).

I assume it is

Prodromou - Aero
Houldey - Engineering
Last edited by f1rules on 02 Apr 2024, 14:43, edited 1 time in total.

genarro
genarro

shame...i am intrigued what was the cause of such a sudden thing.

BMMR61

I imagine that McLaren were happy to "let him go" because it suited, otherwise he would be held to a contract, at least for one year of it. Maybe a lot of water under the bridge in 12 months has changed the thinking of how the senior engineering structure should work. On one hand it's a shame as recent experience with Ferrari would have provided some useful intel, but maybe in the space of three months there has been gain in this regard.

FittingMechanics
FittingMechanics

f1rules wrote:
02 Apr 2024, 14:42
maybe, im unsure, if the 4 of them are level, with andrea above, or marshall is above the three. In think they are more or less level but with marshall final say in mechanical car concept. No matter it makes good sense. Marshall and Prodromou with each their areas. Sanchez would be the one stepping on everyones toes i feel, because as previous head of concept and an aero background, he wanted influence on everything im quessing.
FittingMechanics wrote:
f1rules wrote:

I assume it is

Prodromou - Aero
Houldey - Engineering
I think Marshall would be named Technical Director for Car Concept if the idea was to have them on the same level. I am pretty sure that Marshall is their superior and will coordinate the work of the three TDs.
genarro wrote:
02 Apr 2024, 14:43
shame...i am intrigued what was the cause of such a sudden thing.
Stella was not team principal when those hires were made. Sanchez was hired before Marshall so may have been promised a bigger role than the team was willing to give him.

De Wet

FittingMechanics wrote:
f1rules wrote:

I assume it is

Prodromou - Aero
Houldey - Engineering

Makes sense...

LionsHeart
LionsHeart

Such an active discussion, as if something incredible had happened.🙂

I was wondering how they could share these responsibilities when they showed the diagram last year. Now it turns out that it was not possible to divide evenly. Well, that's okay. Prodromou’s powers remained the same, Marshall's powers increased. Now Sanchez is no longer the destiny. This happens, unfortunately. The main thing is that the team can develop the car.
Last edited by LionsHeart on 02 Apr 2024, 16:39, edited 1 time in total.

mwillems

f1rules wrote:
02 Apr 2024, 14:42
FittingMechanics wrote:
f1rules wrote:

I assume it is

Prodromou - Aero
Houldey - Engineering
I think so, because the quote suggests that concept and performance role has become just the performance role with the responsibility for the concept going to Marshall. It does seem to me like he is the man to make decisions on how it all comes together. Whether the reporting structure follows is unknown, and probably unimportant to us, but it would seem that the final decisions on the car sits with Marshall, or at least his vote will have more weight.
I'm not taking advice from a cartoon dog

-Bandit

mwillems

LionsHeart wrote:
02 Apr 2024, 15:46
Such an active discussion, as if something incredible had happened.🙂

I was wondering how they could share these responsibilities when they showed the diagram last year. Now it turns out that it was not possible to divide evenly. Well, that's okay. Prodromus' powers remained the same, Marshall's powers increased. Now Sanchez is no longer the destiny. This happens, unfortunately. The main thing is that the team can develop the car.
Yeah I was thinking the same. This new structure makes more sense.
I'm not taking advice from a cartoon dog

-Bandit

Waz
Waz

Looks like Sanchez was expecting more of a TD/Chief Designer role himself, and that wasn't happening.

Could also be a case of McLaren seeing what happened at Ferrari under the last leadership and not prepared to follow that path.

It won't have helped Sanchez that Ferrari turned up with a significantly better car than the SF-23 was.

genarro
genarro

Fingers crossed that they made room for newey to come back to McLaren :mrgreen:

One can hope 8)

Mansell89
Mansell89

The one thing I’m pleased about is we aren’t prepared to let any structural ideals compromise the influence of Peter Prodromou- especially given how previous leadership and seemingly limited his input.

He seems to be someone we really want to enable to create and contribute and that can only be a good thing.

Balalu
Balalu

Venturiation wrote:
02 Apr 2024, 14:05
Balalu wrote:
02 Apr 2024, 13:48
I know that I am alone in this, but I am kind of relieved. Was not convinced with his signing from day one. Look at Ferrari...
:lol:

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/GJeEsJ7asAA ... name=large
Exactly, this Ferrari has nothing to do with Sanchez.
"I showed him [with my hands] and said: I have bigger balls!” - Mika Hakkinen