2024 Scuderia Ferrari F1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
Vanja #66

Re: 2024 Scuderia Ferrari F1 Team

CaribouBread wrote:
06 Apr 2024, 11:05
Two thoughts; is this seen on other drivers laps - nobody improved on the second run could this be the reason, or perhaps the exit was less than ideal - could the outlap be looked at if thats the case?
It was just Leclerc and just that lap. Every other lap he's completely in line with Sainz there. He mentioned wind in post-Q interview but he said they didn't yet look at the data. He put together a decent lap, I can understand why he's puzzled. Shouldn't be any issue with PU, so it was most likely an unfortunate brief headwind.

It's a shame but it happens. They need to put him on Hards tomorrow for the first stint. At worst, he'll drop to P9 and with some luck he could benefit from a well timed SC/VSC. Alonso showed how to do it in Australia, it's a no-brainer basically.
And they call it a stall. A STALL!

#DwarvesAreNaturalSprinters
#BlessYouLaddie

Xyz22
Xyz22

Vanja #66 wrote:
06 Apr 2024, 12:19
CaribouBread wrote:
Two thoughts; is this seen on other drivers laps - nobody improved on the second run could this be the reason, or perhaps the exit was less than ideal - could the outlap be looked at if thats the case?
It was just Leclerc and just that lap. Every other lap he's completely in line with Sainz there. He mentioned wind in post-Q interview but he said they didn't yet look at the data. He put together a decent lap, I can understand why he's puzzled. Shouldn't be any issue with PU, so it was most likely an unfortunate brief headwind.

It's a shame but it happens. They need to put him on Hards tomorrow for the first stint. At worst, he'll drop to P9 and with some luck he could benefit from a well timed SC/VSC. Alonso showed how to do it in Australia, it's a no-brainer basically.
Don’t know if betting on a SC would be the right call. Undercutting could be an option as well to get rid of some slower cars ahead. The race is compromised in any event.

CaribouBread
CaribouBread

Can't really be pleased with these quali positions, but from a broader viewpoint it feels as though Ferrari has out developed RedBull by the tune of at least a few tenths. While there are still some compromises that need to be worked out on Quali/Race performance, with still an upgrade package to come and RB having already brought one, I feel this is a positive development overall.

Space-heat
Space-heat

falonso81 wrote:
06 Apr 2024, 10:02
Charles lap was quite good up to the casio triangle (+0.2 down on Verstappen). He seemed to be a bit rough over the kerbs there but I can't seem to understand how it translated to 0.3 second loss. Should have been a tenth at best. Really worrying that he can't understand what is wrong and why he can't extract the lap time out of the car.
On the radio in an earlier lap he mentioned the tires were gone by Casio. Could be the he had no traction by the end due to pushing harder earlier.

edit - the is a post showing traction wasn't the issue post Casio. Real puzzler.
Last edited by Space-heat on 06 Apr 2024, 12:37, edited 1 time in total.

Sphere3758
Sphere3758

If the race pace of Charles was representative, I still have some hope for tomorrow. He just needs a good start and get past Lewis and Oscar quickly.

https://f1ingenerale.com/f1-grazie-a-di ... -giappone/

Space-heat
Space-heat

Xyz22 wrote:
06 Apr 2024, 12:23
Vanja #66 wrote:
CaribouBread wrote:

Don’t know if betting on a SC would be the right call. Undercutting could be an option as well to get rid of some slower cars ahead. The race is compromised in any event.
I think M-H-M could be a good direction. Undercut Hamilton and Alonso and hope for a mid-late safety car to bring Charles back to the pack up. With the circuit layout, we are probably hoping for damage limitation.

Well done for Carlos, hopefully he can challenge for a podium.

MattLightBlue
MattLightBlue

Vanja #66 wrote:
CaribouBread wrote:

The strategy of going longer on first stint with hards pays off when you are not strong on pace. If you are fast, it is better to start with a tyre which gives you an advantage in the first laps, and then you pit early trying to finish into clean air. This way you also will force others to pit earlier than wanted.

Seanspeed
Seanspeed

MattLightBlue wrote:
06 Apr 2024, 13:41
The strategy of going longer on first stint with hards pays off when you are not strong on pace. If you are fast, it is better to start with a tyre which gives you an advantage in the first laps, and then you pit early trying to finish into clean air. This way you also will force others to pit earlier than wanted.
No strategy works if you dont have pace, barring relying on a safety car or something and getting lucky. Going long, or undercutting, all require you to have good pace at some point.

But starting where Leclerc is, he's gonna lose a lot of time if he cant make progress relatively early on, so I'd still agree they shouldn't start on Hards. Passing wont be easy, especially with how tight things are between Mclaren, Mercedes, Ferrari and Aston Martin, but I think they still need to hope to do so anyways, and then see where they're at and whether an undercut(which compromises future stints) makes sense.

Much will depend on what their race pace is actually gonna be like. If it's better than qualifying pace, they will have solid options. If they dont, then options become a little more desperate.

CouncilorIrissa
CouncilorIrissa

See, this is why I hate Japanese GP with passion. :lol:
It never goes well. Never.

Xyz22
Xyz22

We are lucky that Piastri did a mediocre lap compared to Norris or McL would have two cars ahead of us.

This is really concerning because we didn't see any progress on extracting more performance over a single lap from the first WE in Bahrain, especially because it seems they don't understand what is happening.

De Wet

CouncilorIrissa wrote:
06 Apr 2024, 14:24

But a Great Track... =D> =D>

CouncilorIrissa
CouncilorIrissa

De Wet wrote:
06 Apr 2024, 14:34
CouncilorIrissa wrote:
06 Apr 2024, 14:24

But a Great Track... =D> =D>
It's great for hot-lapping, but not for racing.
I'd rather have Fuji tbh.
Last edited by CouncilorIrissa on 06 Apr 2024, 14:39, edited 1 time in total.

Stu

killua wrote:
06 Apr 2024, 09:52
Heard it on the team radio that Charles said something was too soft, don’t know if it was the reason that he struggled that much in quali.
That was Sainz, reporting that his throttle felt “soft at the top after turn 13” (in Q1 I think).
Perspective - Understanding that sometimes the truths we cling to depend greatly on our own point of view.

DoctorRadio
DoctorRadio

Xyz22 wrote:
06 Apr 2024, 14:31
We are lucky that Piastri did a mediocre lap compared to Norris or McL would have two cars ahead of us.

This is really concerning because we didn't see any progress on extracting more performance over a single lap from the first WE in Bahrain, especially because it seems they don't understand what is happening.
https://www-formulapassion-it.translate ... r_pto=wapp

The answer is from directly from Pirelli; Ferrari has a new concept that works better in the race than in qualifying as it doesn’t overwork the tires and, for comparison, Red Bull will suffer as much degradation as the others tomorrow.

It seems Ferrari hasn’t found the sweet spot in quali yet, that is understandable given the whole new concept compared to last year.

Xyz22
Xyz22

DoctorRadio wrote:
06 Apr 2024, 15:09
Xyz22 wrote:
06 Apr 2024, 14:31

https://www-formulapassion-it.translate ... r_pto=wapp

The answer is from directly from Pirelli; Ferrari has a new concept that works better in the race than in qualifying as it doesn’t overwork the tires and, for comparison, Red Bull will suffer as much degradation as the others tomorrow.

It seems Ferrari hasn’t found the sweet spot in quali yet, that is understandable given the whole new concept compared to last year.
We need to find a better sweet spot asap. There has been 0 progress since Bahrain on this aspect.
Interesting that according to Pirelli the fastest strategy will be soft - hard - hard.