2024 Scuderia Ferrari F1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
dialtone
dialtone

Re: 2024 Scuderia Ferrari F1 Team

ing. wrote:
CRazyLemon wrote:
08 Apr 2024, 07:07
Venturiation wrote:
06 Apr 2024, 17:45
Next season, 6 names will transfer from Mercedes to Ferrari. The agreement between the teams has been completed."
Are we still excited by all these signings? 2022 great car, 2023 poor car. 2024 pretty good car. Now we're signing people from a team that has had 3 poor cars in a row. Maybe if it was RBR staff it would be more impactful.

I guess what I'm saying is it seems the Ferrari design team is actually pretty good as it stands. If the Imola upgrade works, then there's quite good momentum in that team as it is.
I also don’t understand the Merc signings—including their French tire guru, and also HAM, frankly—especially as they have not only designed three duds but also still don’t understand what makes them duds. Can’t be a good feeling, or vote of confidence, for current Ferrari staff to have these people helicoptered in. Maybe too much change is just too much, with diminishing returns… or even negative returns.
You can’t judge a single person from the team performance, unless they were the decision maker for that area. Ferrari anyway doesn’t need help solving the problem that Mercedes has, so they should hire for complementary skills to theirs and obviously improving their tire understanding is a good thing, as well as chassis now that Cardile is tech principal with less time on chassis. They also have hired a handful of people, hardly a culture shift.

Cs98
Cs98

AR3-GP wrote:
07 Apr 2024, 21:23
Ferrari, Sainz: "We were 2 tenths here in the race, now it will be our turn with updates. Yes, now we know there will be circuits where we can play it"
2 tenths gap on RB's best circuit after upgrades and the "weakest" circuit for Ferrari.

Which would be in line with adjusting for the traffic losses they suffered in the race. China will be revealing, it's a track which on the surface should suit the Ferrari well.

dia6olo
dia6olo

CRazyLemon wrote:
08 Apr 2024, 07:07
Venturiation wrote:
06 Apr 2024, 17:45
Next season, 6 names will transfer from Mercedes to Ferrari. The agreement between the teams has been completed."
Are we still excited by all these signings? 2022 great car, 2023 poor car. 2024 pretty good car. Now we're signing people from a team that has had 3 poor cars in a row. Maybe if it was RBR staff it would be more impactful.

I guess what I'm saying is it seems the Ferrari design team is actually pretty good as it stands. If the Imola upgrade works, then there's quite good momentum in that team as it is.
I think often times it's not about the individuals but about the person at the top who organises them and extracts the best out of them, or not...

Vanja #66

dialtone wrote:
08 Apr 2024, 14:39
You can’t judge a single person from the team performance, unless they were the decision maker for that area. Ferrari anyway doesn’t need help solving the problem that Mercedes has, so they should hire for complementary skills to theirs and obviously improving their tire understanding is a good thing, as well as chassis now that Cardile is tech principal with less time on chassis. They also have hired a handful of people, hardly a culture shift.
There's also a typical yearly flux of 90-100 people in Scuderia according to Vasseur. Right now most of Italian media are particularly interested in personnel transfers and report every detail of it
And they call it a stall. A STALL!

#DwarvesAreNaturalSprinters
#BlessYouLaddie

Big Gun
Big Gun

Its clear to me thet Sainz struggles with tire wear Compared to Lecerc, remember in Torros Rosso Max having much better race pace. Thats the main reason IMO Ferrari kept Lecerc, cos not only does he have more raw pace, he has much better race pace thant Sainz.

Fakepivot
Fakepivot

before we get started again with sainz vs charles, let me get popcorn,lol..
but Ferrari chose Charles for many more reason than just his skills. he has imo higher skill ceiling, younger with more social media following also top Ferrari people seem to like him more, he has been with them since long time. Piero Ferrari don't hide in saying he wish to Charles to win wdc. also, john Elkann brother likes him a lot as well. didn't he tweet last year like saying Santander is terrible bank implying they were making politics behind the scene?

scuderiabrandon

It feels like they manage the tyre like they are still fielding the SF-23. The tyre is not being maximized, hence we see Charles being able to do his fastest laps at the end of very long stints. They can afford top trade more degradation for lap time but there is clearly still a lack of trust in the car to be able to push harder and not spiral into uncontrollable thermal deg. At some point they'll have to try a different approach.

Emag
Emag

I think Ferrari might be able to mount a proper challenge to RedBull in China already and before the upgrades.

The track plays to their strengths and they have not been far off RedBull even in less favorable tracks.

ringo

Big Gun wrote:
08 Apr 2024, 18:35
Its clear to me thet Sainz struggles with tire wear Compared to Lecerc, remember in Torros Rosso Max having much better race pace. Thats the main reason IMO Ferrari kept Lecerc, cos not only does he have more raw pace, he has much better race pace thant Sainz.
I do not think he struggles if the car is well balanced and easier to drive. This car is better balanced than those of the past, so Sainz just need to get the better of Charles in qualifying and it would be a stalemate in terms of race pace, and Carlos only needs to drive to the finish. Think Hamilton vs Rosberg 2016. Nico's focus was better qualifying, despite him having worse race pace. The car was good, and not hard to drive, and so the lead driver need only keep pace and get the better strategy and that would see him through to be ahead at the checkered flag.
Charles needs to improve his qualifying and take a little less risk and he should have Sainz covered. However, I wont discount that Sainz can find a little extra in terms of driving technique and have this SF24 figured out compared to Charles. Sainz is driving well and doesnt seem to be drowning mid stint on tyre deg like he used to in the previous cars.
For Sure!!

Vanja #66

WCC points after first 4 races:

2022 - 119p (including 12p in the Imola sprint)
2023 - 62p (including 11p in Baku sprint)
2024 - 120p (including 0p from 0 sprints :mrgreen:)

Last time Ferrari had such a good start without having the best or joint-best car on the grid - never!

In 1998 it was close to this year's start, also 1 win and 4 other podium places but there was also a DNF for Schumi in Australia and a P8 for Irvine in Brasil. Newey's McLaren won the other 3 races. In 1999 they had 3 wins and 2 more P2s, they basically started with the best car and won the WCC even with Schumi sitting out half the season.

Vasseur's impact is bigger than we realised, consistency is completely in line with Red Bull all of a sudden and the only thing missing is outright pace/downforce of the car. I honestly never expected this kind of paradigm shift to happen so quickly.

#BlessYouLaddie

Xyz22
Xyz22

Vanja #66 wrote:
08 Apr 2024, 22:34
WCC points after first 4 races:

2022 - 119p (including 12p in the Imola sprint)
2023 - 62p (including 11p in Baku sprint)
2024 - 120p

Last time Ferrari had such a good start without having the best or joint-best car on the grid - never!

In 1998 it was close to this year's start, also 1 win and 4 other podium places but there was also a DNF for Schumi in Australia and a P8 for Irvine in Brasil. Newey's McLaren won the other 3 races. In 1999 they had 3 wins and 2 more P2s, they basically started with the best car and won the WCC even with Schumi sitting out half the season.

Vasseur's impact is bigger than we realised, consistency is completely in line with Red Bull all of a sudden and the only thing missing is outright pace/downforce of the car. I honestly never expected this kind of paradigm shift to happen so quickly.
As i said many times the more time goes on, the more it seems that Binotto was a huge problem for both car overall design/philosophy and the entire organization as a whole.

Sphere3758
Sphere3758

ringo wrote:
08 Apr 2024, 22:01
Big Gun wrote:
08 Apr 2024, 18:35
I do not think he struggles if the car is well balanced and easier to drive. This car is better balanced than those of the past, so Sainz just need to get the better of Charles in qualifying and it would be a stalemate in terms of race pace, and Carlos only needs to drive to the finish. Think Hamilton vs Rosberg 2016. Nico's focus was better qualifying, despite him having worse race pace. The car was good, and not hard to drive, and so the lead driver need only keep pace and get the better strategy and that would see him through to be ahead at the checkered flag.
Charles needs to improve his qualifying and take a little less risk and he should have Sainz covered. However, I wont discount that Sainz can find a little extra in terms of driving technique and have this SF24 figured out compared to Charles. Sainz is driving well and doesnt seem to be drowning mid stint on tyre deg like he used to in the previous cars.
That is a quick conclusion to come to, based on 2 races that Charles qualified poorly in. In every practice session and even in Bahrain testing, he has had his usual upper hand in race pace. I would argue that it was better in Japan too, it was just his qualifying that hurt him. Nico on his day was very very good, Carlos needs to have a complete season at his current level to be remotely considered in that conversation.

Vanja #66

Xyz22 wrote:
08 Apr 2024, 22:36
As i said many times the more time goes on, the more it seems that Binotto was a huge problem for both car overall design/philosophy and the entire organization as a whole.
Even if I also put majority of the blame on him for all the poor decision and race management since 2019, we must be fair - it was not all him. He also had bosses that chose to put him there, keep him for 4 years and also interfered a lot more than they should. Elkann made the right call with grabbing Vasseur but also with keeping Vigna away. It wouldn't have been this good if Vigna again interfered with car design and other things well outside the scope of his expertise.

Finally, in all fairness to Binotto - Ferrari clearly never had a TP as good as Vasseur since Todt left.

#BlessYouLaddie

deadhead

Impressive by LEC

FDD
FDD

According to Formula Planet Newey joins FER and only official announcement is waiting from FER.