2024 Scuderia Ferrari F1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
organic

Re: 2024 Scuderia Ferrari F1 Team

scuderiabrandon wrote:
08 Apr 2024, 19:38
It feels like they manage the tyre like they are still fielding the SF-23. The tyre is not being maximized, hence we see Charles being able to do his fastest laps at the end of very long stints. They can afford top trade more degradation for lap time but there is clearly still a lack of trust in the car to be able to push harder and not spiral into uncontrollable thermal deg. At some point they'll have to try a different approach.
All of the top teams' #1 drivers (the ones who preserve their tyres well) set their best laptimes at the end of their stints at Japan despite the deg. They push at the end knowing it's a possible point / there's no point worrying about degradation and charge on the few remaining laps

Joel709
Joel709

FDD wrote:
09 Apr 2024, 01:05
According to Formula Planet Newey joins FER and only official announcement is waiting from FER.
I think the day for this is long gone now, while it’s an amazing opportunity, Newey has repeatedly said that now he’s into his old age he wouldn’t want to pack up and move to Italy.

The only team I can ever see signing him in the future is Aston Martin. You also have to remember he is neck deep in the RB17 project.

While Newey is quite possibly the best of designers, I feel a lot of people discount just how much everyone else contributes, you’re only as strong as your weakest link.

scuderiabrandon

organic wrote:
09 Apr 2024, 01:19
scuderiabrandon wrote:
It feels like they manage the tyre like they are still fielding the SF-23. The tyre is not being maximized, hence we see Charles being able to do his fastest laps at the end of very long stints. They can afford top trade more degradation for lap time but there is clearly still a lack of trust in the car to be able to push harder and not spiral into uncontrollable thermal deg. At some point they'll have to try a different approach.
All of the top teams' #1 drivers (the ones who preserve their tyres well) set their best laptimes at the end of their stints at Japan despite the deg. They push at the end knowing it's a possible point / there's no point worrying about degradation and charge on the few remaining laps

https://i.redd.it/3imtkwlxi0tc1.png
His tyres were +10 laps older though. Also considering he is not in the position to get fastest lap due to the alternative strategy. For that reason I'd prefer if they use the tyre more throughout the stint. There was also the potential for a podium at some point during the stint.

Happened in Melbourne as well despite being one of the first to do their 2nd stop.

JPower
JPower

organic wrote:

I'm guessing Lewis doesn't preserve his tires well. OK... :lol:

Vanja #66

FDD wrote:
09 Apr 2024, 01:05
According to Formula Planet Newey joins FER and only official announcement is waiting from FER.
Until Formu1a.uno guys announce it, it's not happening :mrgreen: He seems to be contract bound to RB until RB17 project is done (to a certain level probably) and if he really is unhappy there, I can only see him either retiring or moving to Ferrari for one last dance in F1. I think he's definitely too young to retire already, family's situation changed a lot since 2012, Hamilton's coming to Ferrari so everything's getting in place for him to make the move he wanted to many times before - if he decides to.

He's brought titles to Williams, McLaren and Red Bull, there's nothing big for history if he ends his career in Aston Martin. On the other hand, the oldest team on the grid and the only one there every year since 1950, legendary...
And they call it a stall. A STALL!

#DwarvesAreNaturalSprinters
#BlessYouLaddie

Sphere3758
Sphere3758

scuderiabrandon wrote:
09 Apr 2024, 02:08
organic wrote:
scuderiabrandon wrote:

His tyres were +10 laps older though. Also considering he is not in the position to get fastest lap due to the alternative strategy. For that reason I'd prefer if they use the tyre more throughout the stint. There was also the potential for a podium at some point during the stint.

Happened in Melbourne as well despite being one of the first to do their 2nd stop.
How do teams usually communicate this to the driver ? I know they share lap times of their immediate competition , but I’ve never heard specific lap times discussed.

Is it more on the driver to assess grip levels and have the confidence to push a bit more ? In this case, could just be PTSD for Charles from all those years with the tyre eating Ferrari’s

Andres125sx

Vanja #66 wrote:
08 Apr 2024, 22:34
WCC points after first 4 races:

2022 - 119p (including 12p in the Imola sprint)
2023 - 62p (including 11p in Baku sprint)
2024 - 120p (including 0p from 0 sprints :mrgreen:)

Last time Ferrari had such a good start without having the best or joint-best car on the grid - never!
Indeed.

Add to that Sainz missed Arabia due to appendicitis, and Bearman only scored 6 points, wich were great for a young and rookie reserve driver, but Carlos could have scored some more

Ferrari looks strong, promising! =D>

scuderiabrandon

scuderiabrandon wrote:
09 Apr 2024, 02:08
organic wrote:
scuderiabrandon wrote:

His tyres were +10 laps older though. Also considering he is not in the position to get fastest lap due to the alternative strategy. For that reason I'd prefer if they use the tyre more throughout the stint. There was also the potential for a podium at some point during the stint. However i'm sure the pace was increased to cover off Norris, but if they can rinse the tyre more which it certainly seems like they can (they don't seem anywhere near the limit) I think we can see the average lap time drop quite a bit. Red Bull are doing something similar in that regard, as someone already mentioned in this thread. They are trading some tyre performance for pure pace in the race, running into slightly higher deg at the end of stint than in previous years.

Andres125sx

deadhead wrote:
08 Apr 2024, 23:29
https://ibb.co/ZJPhKxT

Impressive by LEC
Cherry picking?

Sainz did 37.9 on next lap (11/14 instead of 10/14).

Still impressive from Leclerc, but that´s exactly the reason there´s no need to cherry picking some laps to boost Leclerc. He does not need that! :wink:

saviour stivala
saviour stivala

Yes. FERRARI looks strong, to me for sure strongest of the rest, but it still hurts seeing the first FERRARI finish around 20 seconds behind the winning RBR car in Japan.

scuderiabrandon

Andres125sx wrote:
09 Apr 2024, 08:40
deadhead wrote:
08 Apr 2024, 23:29
https://ibb.co/ZJPhKxT

Impressive by LEC
Cherry picking?

Sainz did 37.9 on next lap (11/14 instead of 10/14).

Still impressive from Leclerc, but that´s exactly the reason there´s no need to cherry picking some laps to boost Leclerc. He does not need that! :wink:
They averaged the last 4 laps of the listed driver's 1 stints. So Sainz' 37.9 is included.

Leclerc stint was ~12 laps longer than the other drivers listed. I would say this is anything but "cherry picking". :lol:

Sphere3758
Sphere3758

I still dont understand why Carlos tried for the fastest lap so early. He had the best tyres of everyone, he could have easily had it had he paced himself after passing Charles and attempted it in the last 2 laps. An easy point lost for him and the team.

Vanja #66

Sphere3758 wrote:
09 Apr 2024, 11:29
I still dont understand why Carlos tried for the fastest lap so early. He had the best tyres of everyone, he could have easily had it had he paced himself after passing Charles and attempted it in the last 2 laps. An easy point lost for him and the team.
That lap was the last time he got DRS and judging by telemetry he went into the lap with full charge and didn't harvest at any point. If he was going for fastest lap on that lap he did a good job and was never going to improve in any case. Max got the DRS from backmarker and went for it and was 0.15s quicker even though his tyres were 6 laps older than Sainz' on Sainz' fastest lap.
And they call it a stall. A STALL!

#DwarvesAreNaturalSprinters
#BlessYouLaddie

Xyz22
Xyz22

Leclerc was back in Maranello today.
Simulator work to try and fix the issues with the quali.

deadhead

Xyz22 wrote:
09 Apr 2024, 19:04
Leclerc was back in Maranello today.
Simulator work to try and fix the issues with the quali.
One would think that this shouldn't be that hard since they have all the data from Sainz and his set up...