2024 Oracle Red Bull Racing F1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
CHT
CHT

Re: 2024 Oracle Red Bull Racing F1 Team

dialtone wrote:
09 Apr 2024, 02:45
PlatinumZealot wrote:Redbull won by 20 seconds this year. The gap actually increased compared to last year. They are in cruise mode unless another team finds a half a second. Which let's admit it, is not happening under those slow burning reguations.
Last year Lando had a clean race for 2nd. It wasn’t the same at all. But yeah they are still dominant, gap shrank quite a bit which just shows how ridiculous last year’s car was.
Max fastest lap looks like a casual attempt to me and for sure the gap could have been wider if he was under threat from Checo. RBR 1-2 domination is likely to continue for sure. Lets hope Checo will get his contract extended.

dialtone
dialtone

CHT wrote:
dialtone wrote:
09 Apr 2024, 02:45
PlatinumZealot wrote:Redbull won by 20 seconds this year. The gap actually increased compared to last year. They are in cruise mode unless another team finds a half a second. Which let's admit it, is not happening under those slow burning reguations.
Last year Lando had a clean race for 2nd. It wasn’t the same at all. But yeah they are still dominant, gap shrank quite a bit which just shows how ridiculous last year’s car was.
Max fastest lap looks like a casual attempt to me and for sure the gap could have been wider if he was under threat from Checo. RBR 1-2 domination is likely to continue for sure. Lets hope Checo will get his contract extended.
And this is different from last year… How?

CHT
CHT

Having Checo behind Max RB is in complete control of the race. Last year Checo didn't even finish the race

dialtone
dialtone

CHT wrote:Having Checo behind Max RB is in complete control of the race. Last year Checo didn't even finish the race
I’m sure Max pays attention to that, with all the threats he sees on track.

venkyhere
venkyhere

IMHO, the ideal candidate is Perez for the 2nd seat, if he is able to maintain consistency. He is experienced, is in the latter phase of his career, and has now learnt that being a Barrichello to Schumacher is in the best interest of himself and the team. Because, if he wants to continue racing, where will he go to ? Will he end up like Bottas ?

In case Perez decides to leave or retire, then the next best candidate is Liam Lawson, in my books. Showed lots of promise, challenged Tsunoda in a way Ricciardo is unable to. He is young, and could be a long term investment for the team. If Redbull could try Gasly and Albon, why not Lawson ? will show his loyalty and be in the team for atleast 4-5 yrs. There will come a time when Max moves on or retires (which wont be in his late 30s or early 40s) , so from a team perspective, catching someone young and honing him for the future is important, even if a more accomplished driver (Norris or Russel or Sainz or even LeClerc) wants to parachute into the team when Max goes.

Lawson wont mind being the 2nd driver (which the likes of Sainz, Norris et al, will) - and that's important to the harmony within the team. There hasn't been a team in F1 that has had long-term success without a clear definition of who is #1 and who is #2 in their driver line up.

Big Gun
Big Gun

Joel709 wrote:
09 Apr 2024, 02:01
Big Gun wrote:
08 Apr 2024, 16:03
Please hire Alonso next year! Perez doesnt have the race pace to challege max, neither does Sainz, Alonso on Sunday is probably the only driver who can match his speed and manage his tyres.

But to be fair if I was RbR i'd bring in Sainz because he just doesnt have the race pace to compete with Max, I noticed this when they were at Tottos Rosso together
Honestly I can see Alonso hanging up his boots this year. he might take a 1 year deal at Merc to fill that gap they have.

Red bull will be far more interested in the likes of sainz, he’s still got lots of years in him, he has previous red bull experience and his dad is sponsored by them.
Do you think over the next 2 years Sainz will be better than ALonso?
I dont see Sainz's race pace threatening Max, like Perez (just look at Torro Rosso, Max was musch faster in races) Imo Alonso's Race pace and tyre wear would really push Max.
Safety bet would be Sainz (because of th lack of race pace and tyre management.

Waz
Waz

I like Checo, but I honestly hope that RBR don't renew his contract. The sport could do with a shake up of sorts, and drivers like Checo hanging around are keeping younger drivers from new opportunities.

Even if RBR hired Alonso, that would spice up things nicely, and open a seat at another top 4/5 team.

Sergej
Sergej

Hello guys, so according to formu1a.com ( https://formu1a.uno/it/ferrari-il-campi ... -miraggio/ ) RB engineers believe they "easily gained" 0.1s with Suzuka update, which I think it's ok for that kind of package, plus maybe they can unlock some more performance by better understanding it, can't they ?

What do you think about next upgrade ? I think in Imola they'll bring another package, IIRC both Newey and Waché hinted to that, they will have to respond to Ferrari upgrade which is rumored to be quite big.

AR3-GP
AR3-GP

Sergej wrote:
09 Apr 2024, 19:07
Hello guys, so according to formu1a.com ( https://formu1a.uno/it/ferrari-il-campi ... -miraggio/ ) RB engineers believe they "easily gained" 0.1s with Suzuka update, which I think it's ok for that kind of package, plus maybe they can unlock some more performance by better understanding it, can't they ?

What do you think about next upgrade ? I think in Imola they'll bring another package, IIRC both Newey and Waché hinted to that, they will have to respond to Ferrari upgrade which is rumored to be quite big.
Formu1a.uno reports that it was an efficiency upgrade. So basically they were going for less drag.
As expected, the RB20s have fitted an important package in Japan. Engineers believe they have easily gained a tenth of the performance. This year's car, a bit in a break with the previous ones, has a more effective setting at medium-low speeds, it is not surprising that the development of the undercut – as well as improvements to the floor – go in the direction of reducing drag without touching the load, therefore the excellent balance that guarantees the perfect relationship between speed and degradation. Ferrari continues to use the same rear wing while Red Bull is changing the specification, at Suzuka it used incidence in the balance sheet without paying in terms of top speed.
and as has been reported, the RB20 has gained in the medium and low speed (while the opposition has gained in the high speed).

Vanja #66

Other then low speed performance improvement (evident already in Bahrain) telemetry suggests something different...

And they call it a stall. A STALL!

#DwarvesAreNaturalSprinters
#BlessYouLaddie

AR3-GP
AR3-GP

Vanja #66 wrote:
09 Apr 2024, 21:24
Other then low speed performance improvement (evident already in Bahrain) telemetry suggests something different...

https://i.ibb.co/XsvqVJN/ver-jpn.jpg
The telemetry is not so easy to interpret because (mentioned several days ago), the wind directions changed. The tail wind on the main straight in 2023 was a headwind in 2024 so RB top speed is masked. The wind and track temperatures in the rest of the circuit between races also obfuscates. What you can see however from onboards is how much better the car looks in S2 and S3 corners, relative to both themselves last year and to rivals this year. It is not only Suzuka where you could draw such a conclusion. RB actually told us that these were the improvements.

AR3-GP
AR3-GP

Red Bull's cooling changes don't seem easy to imitate.

venkyhere
venkyhere

Vanja #66 wrote:
09 Apr 2024, 21:24

https://i.ibb.co/XsvqVJN/ver-jpn.jpg
Low-speed traction improvement was the target they were saying publicly in 2023, for the RB20. That they have achieved it, we have witnessed in all the quali+races so far - the traction advantage that Ferrari enjoyed for 2 yrs is no longer there for them, the Redbull is on par (or almost on par) with the Ferraris (undisputed kings of rotation and traction in this new rules era).

Regarding the loss in speed in the plot (the S's, the two straights, turn12 sweeper) for the RB20 w.r.t RB19, what is the consensus in this forum, after taking into account the difference brought by factors like :
- unfavourable wind direction
- wing levels
?
If there is no wind factor and same wing level used, is the RB20 inherently more draggy than the RB19 (due to more downforce from higher efficiency wings - front/rear/beam and diffuser) ? And when they say they have reduced drag with Suzuka update, surely they must be referring to launch edition RB20 and not the RB19 ? How else to interpret it ?
Last edited by venkyhere on 10 Apr 2024, 07:34, edited 1 time in total.

CHT
CHT

AR3-GP wrote:
09 Apr 2024, 21:51
Red Bull's cooling changes don't seem easy to imitate.
Yes..it's complex piece of work because it's not just about cooling but also aero efficiency both inside and outside the hood.

Sergej
Sergej

Regarding the difference in top speed seen in Suzuka quali, I think the wind explanation makes much sense, if you look at other car compare you will see exactly the same pattern between 2023 and 2024 (ie 23 faster on main straight and 130R straight and 24 faster on straight heading to the Spoon, suggesting in 2023 there was a wind blowing in the direction from the Spoon to the first turn)

not to say that RB20 is not definitely more draggy than RB19, but maybe a bit deceptive to deduce it from this situation.