Silly season 2024-2025

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
CHT
CHT

Re: Silly season 2024-2025

DGP123 wrote:
11 Apr 2024, 23:30
Dunlay wrote:
11 Apr 2024, 19:20
It could also mean, Carlos is going to Sauber(Audi) as Carlos wanted an immediate Red Bull decision, which isn't coming anyway.
Audi will be years off being competitive. It’s essentially a pay day being their marquee driver under the new name, but you can write off two or three years of your F1 career.

Audi have been linked with Hulkeberg and would suit someone like Perez, who’s looking for a nice earner, post Red Bull. As for Sainz, he should really be only looking at Red Bull now, as Lance won’t be sacked.

Antonelli will be at Mercedes.
Lance Stroll seat may not be secured as there are other stakeholders in AM that Lawrence has to take care.
My guess is we may see a aspanish line up at AM next year.

Jambier

I don’t get why Mercedes is not signing Sainz right now for a couple of years

Let’s put Antonelli somewhere and then see how he is doing.

Sainz is perfect choice for Mercedes. Red Bull will keep docile Perez

chrisc90

Mercedes options are running out realistically.

Vettel, antonelli , Schumacher or Sainz only realistic prospects now.

Vettel is old and probably lost his mojo, but like Danny Ric.

Sainz is showing great potential at the minute

Schumacher had a year it but been the test driver for Merc I believe.

Antonelli - Merc probably have to take a risk on the youngsters. They either work or they don’t. Only ever really get a years contract with Merc, so if no good then you move them on if they can’t show their worth in a F1 car. Need to do a red bull and take a risk on the lower upcoming drivers. Merc hindsight they kicked themselves in the foot passing up on Verstappen way back in the day. RB took the chance, and now the best driver on the grid by some margin.

djos

Antonelli is the smart move IMO, it gives him a year to get up to speed before the new regs come in, in 26. If he’s half the driver we’ve seen in the junior formula, he’ll be giving Mercedes their very own Piastri.
"In downforce we trust"

AR3-GP
AR3-GP

I saw a report about Honda hoping to work with Verstappen again in the future. This would only be possible at Aston Martin. With the combined spending power of Honda and Aramco, anything is possible.

Farnborough
Farnborough

Jambier wrote:
12 Apr 2024, 09:11

Sounds like they have, signed Sainz that is.

CaribouBread
CaribouBread

AR3-GP wrote:
12 Apr 2024, 15:57
I saw a report about Honda hoping to work with Verstappen again in the future. This would only be possible at Aston Martin. With the combined spending power of Honda and Aramco, anything is possible.
Aramco "Powered by How" and Honda "Powered by Dreams" their interests might align :?: :mrgreen:

deadhead

djos wrote:
12 Apr 2024, 10:50
Antonelli is the smart move IMO, it gives him a year to get up to speed before the new regs come in, in 26. If he’s half the driver we’ve seen in the junior formula, he’ll be giving Mercedes their very own Piastri.
I agree, Antonelli is the best bet for Mercedes.

peewon

Jambier wrote:

My guess is Mercedes want Antonelli in the seat sooner than later, so they're only looking at a stop gap. Sainz would want a longer commitment and find a home before the new regs

Vanja #66

Jambier wrote:

Mercedes wants Sainz, but does he want this Mercedes? 1+1 sounds like an interim solution for him, not them. They don't look like challengers even in 2026, the scope of PU rule changes and budget cap doesn't allow them to do anything close to what they've done in 2014. And their chassis dev is clearly lacking behind RB, Ferrari, McLaren and even Aston Martin at this point. At this point, McLaren looks to be the best Mercedes-powered team in 2026 and it's not even close
And they call it a stall. A STALL!

#DwarvesAreNaturalSprinters
#BlessYouLaddie

Jurgen von Diaz

Mercedes have been in trouble with their car since 2022, is this the best time to put rookie Antonelli with no experience into Hamilton's shoes? I mean regs are changing too, so Sainz's experience would be valuable. Merc is just too messed up work place right now to put a rookie solving problems.

CHT
CHT

Antonelli is too young for this, and 2025 is a crucial year for car development, which is why AM keep Alonso instead of replacing him.

For me, Merc has to be Vettel or Sainz and Merc doesnt have time to wait for Antonelli to prove himself in F2

Cs98
Cs98

Jurgen von Diaz wrote:
13 Apr 2024, 06:24
Mercedes have been in trouble with their car since 2022, is this the best time to put rookie Antonelli with no experience into Hamilton's shoes? I mean regs are changing too, so Sainz's experience would be valuable. Merc is just too messed up work place right now to put a rookie solving problems.
Uh, yes? I can't think of a better time to replace Hamilton than now in the last 10 years. He hasn't won a race in 2,5 years, he left the team of his own will, and the team is not currently competing for a championship. That being said, putting Sainz in the car for 2 years might be an even better option given his performance level.

Dunlay
Dunlay

CHT wrote:
13 Apr 2024, 08:35
Antonelli is too young for this, and 2025 is a crucial year for car development, which is why AM keep Alonso instead of replacing him.

For me, Merc has to be Vettel or Sainz and Merc doesnt have time to wait for Antonelli to prove himself in F2
Unless Antonelli is expected to sit in the design office and validate which aerodynamic concepts work in the new regulations and what kind of mechanical platform would be best suited for new regulations, there should be no reason to not put him in the car for 2025. If a 7 time champion couldn't help build a good car for 2022 regulations, what more can be expected of any other driver on the grid for a new set of regulations?

On the contrary, giving Antonelli a full year's worth of experience in an insignificant 2025, would then prepare him better to drive the 2026 car and then provide valuable feedback. All this, if Mercedes has looked through his data in F2, assessed his potential deeply and think he deserves to be in F1.

CHT
CHT

Cs98 wrote:
13 Apr 2024, 09:23
Jurgen von Diaz wrote:
13 Apr 2024, 06:24
Uh, yes? I can't think of a better time to replace Hamilton than now in the last 10 years. He hasn't won a race in 2,5 years, he left the team of his own will, and the team is not currently competing for a championship. That being said, putting Sainz in the car for 2 years might be an even better option given his performance level.
Seems odd to me to have Ferrari and Merc swapping drivers. ie. LH and Sainz switching team.