2024 Mclaren Formula 1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
LionsHeart
LionsHeart

Re: 2024 Mclaren Formula 1 Team

mwillems wrote:
20 Apr 2024, 11:45
LionsHeart wrote:
20 Apr 2024, 11:13
mwillems wrote:
20 Apr 2024, 08:28

I agree, certainly that we had top 4 pace here, won't argue with 3rd if we'd had a clean race.

But you think we will have good pace here on Sunday? I'm hoping top 6 for our drivers in Qualification today, maybe even top 4. But you know what I think of the race pace tomorrow.
Even before the start of the weekend I had the feeling that the car was capable of being third fastest here, just based on the results of Jeddah, Albert Park and Suzuka. In general, the overall pace corresponds exactly to a car with a third speed. Tomorrow the Ferraris will start behind us, which means the threat will come from there. I hope the pace is enough to overtake Alonso.
Interesting. I Hope you are right, but I think 6 and 7 might be the best we can do with a concern that we might be even 9th and 10th.

In any case I don't care too much if we don't do well tomorrow, I'm looking forward to Miami already.
I think we will miss both Ferrari, but we can beat Aston. Therefore, 5 and 6 or 5 and 7 are quite possible options. Yes, I'm waiting for the update too. Only two weeks left. =D>

LionsHeart
LionsHeart

Does anyone have exact data on how many and what sets of tires are left for tomorrow's race? Preferably for all 20 cars. I would be very grateful.

organic

LionsHeart wrote:
20 Apr 2024, 14:12
Does anyone have exact data on how many and what sets of tires are left for tomorrow's race? Preferably for all 20 cars. I would be very grateful.

LionsHeart
LionsHeart

organic wrote:
20 Apr 2024, 14:41
LionsHeart wrote:
20 Apr 2024, 14:12
https://i.imgur.com/APMzKkF.png
Thank you so much, man!

search

one of Piastri's sets of used mediums is just one lap old, by the way.

Ben1980
Ben1980

Softs lasted on Russell in the sprint, may be an option for Lando.

Sphere3758
Sphere3758

They will disintegrate super fast on full tanks, but they could try it for the last stint.

LionsHeart
LionsHeart

Sphere3758 wrote:
20 Apr 2024, 15:56
They will disintegrate super fast on full tanks, but they could try it for the last stint.
Not necessary. Judging by Jeddah, the soft tires did not work properly there. In general, this rarely happens when in the last stint of the race soft tires would provide some significant advantage.

For Lando, I would choose soft-medium-hard or medium-medium-hard.

Soft 12 laps, medium 20 laps and the last stint 24 laps on hard. Looks quite viable.

trinidefender
trinidefender

Ben1980 wrote:
20 Apr 2024, 08:28
The reaction times showed 0.01 between Hamilton and Norris, it wasn't a bad and good start it was very even. Norris was just on the outside, and Lewis knew what to do. As Rosberg said, he didn't attempt the apex and did just enough to make it difficult. Then it went a bit wrong.

But, in reality it's no real harm. The only way of getting the points was to get ahead and hope. But Max was always coming through.

Bigger points to protect tomorrow if in a similar situation. Though I'm not expecting the Merc to be up the front.
That’s purely reaction time. The getaway was slower than Hamilton by a fair bit which was visible on the live feed as it happened.

There’s a lot more to the start than just full throttle and dumping the clutch. The throttle has to be feathered until wheel spin stops and similar with the clutch. It’s so sensitive and crucial to avoid wheel spin that some teams and drivers opt for a two paddle clutch setup where the first clutch is dropped cleanly when the lights go out (known as the bite point) and the second paddle is used to control the slip in the clutch for the rest of the start till it’s also completely released.

It was this that Hamilton did much better than Norris at and why he was able to pull slightly ahead by the first corner even though the p2 start box is further behind.

organic

Upgrades need to improve thermal degradation.

Like earlier in 2023, they work the tyres too much. The rain performance and general quali performance confirms it. Hopefully it can be adjusted mid-season like they did last year and bring a better car for Sundays even without adding any pure performance

It's crucial in order to Ferrari because even with more downforce it won't be helpful if degradation doesn't improve markedly

Darth-Piekus

I dont think im gonna wake up that early to watch the Chinese GP but before I go to sleep I wish the best of luck to Mclaren and bring as many points as possible.

Tomsky
Tomsky

mwillems

Darth-Piekus wrote:
21 Apr 2024, 00:36
I dont think im gonna wake up that early to watch the Chinese GP but before I go to sleep I wish the best of luck to Mclaren and bring as many points as possible.
It's a 10am start in Greece I think.
I'm not taking advice from a cartoon dog

-Bandit

mwillems

organic wrote:
20 Apr 2024, 21:16
Upgrades need to improve thermal degradation.

Like earlier in 2023, they work the tyres too much. The rain performance and general quali performance confirms it. Hopefully it can be adjusted mid-season like they did last year and bring a better car for Sundays even without adding any pure performance

It's crucial in order to Ferrari because even with more downforce it won't be helpful if degradation doesn't improve markedly
Deg does need to improve, but we haven't been finishing far behind the Ferraris in the races so I don't know if it is a gamechanger.
The Deg does appear to be worse at the start of the race when Mclaren struggle more, so you'd hope there'd be a little improvement here anyway if they can get the Aero working in the low and medium speed corners, which I suspect will be a hefty part of the issue with tyre wear.

In the sprint, deg was similar to those around us, Ferrari, Alonso and Mercedes looked to have similar performance. But that is lower fuel.

Max appeared to be running to a perfect Delta, only just starting to show his deg in the times at the end, so he's got some time in the bank.
I'm not taking advice from a cartoon dog

-Bandit

LionsHeart
LionsHeart

I read Lando's comments before the race. I don’t know whether he’s joking or not, but he calls Max his main rival in the race, because he intends to fight for victory.