2024 Aston Martin | Aramco F1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
organic

Re: 2024 Aston Martin | Aramco F1 Team

KimiRai wrote:
21 Apr 2024, 10:57
Many teams are bringing an upgrade package to Imola, if this is to be a comeback season Aston has to bring something as well or not too long after
AMR also apparently bringing parts to Imola to improve tyre management

PinkFloydPulse

max_speed wrote:
21 Apr 2024, 11:27
I was so fedup did not watch last 12laps. Lost 3free points.
you basically missed the best part of Alonsos race and racecraft lol
And that save in turn 16... the guy has better than cat reflexes at 42 years young :D
Team Fernando!

Nikosar
Nikosar

I hope teams bring effective upgrade. Because today MAX pulled a 30 sec gap after TWO safety car restarts. It is so SCARY

CjC
CjC

AR3-GP wrote:
21 Apr 2024, 11:02
Alonso was great. No comment on the other driver.
The other driver who is that just being a ‘pay’ driver wasn’t going to be enough to keep him on the grid so his dad had to buy an entire race team and motorcar brand to keep his son on the grid. Thats how bad he is….
Just a fan's point of view

KimiRai
KimiRai

(motorsport.com source)
Aston Martin continues to work on the AMR24 to increase the race pace of the car and make the tires run better.

The first step in this regard is planned to be taken with the updates to be brought to Imola.

Imola will probably be the turning point of the season.

Waz
Waz

Race operations from this team is a shambles every race. Without Alonso's brilliance they would be 8th in the WCC getting spanked by Haas.

Availability of tires or not, fitting softs was a bad choice, there's no proper excuse that changes that. If they're limited on options, that too, is down to poor race operations.

They're the new Ferrari.

Jambier

Still very far from podiums on Sunday :(

Kamel
Kamel

Because of Maximilian selfishness, Alonso's soft suffered and also Stroll with his incident

SSJ4
SSJ4

I think tyre deg has improved quite a bit compared to Bahrain. Buts it’s still way off red bull. If Imola updates are a bust then idk what to say.

But I still don’t get how mclaren has improved so much in that regard. Last season they were eating tyres worse than we are currently. Now they’re solid on every track

Zynerji

SSJ4 wrote:
21 Apr 2024, 13:42
I think tyre deg has improved quite a bit compared to Bahrain. Buts it’s still way off red bull. If Imola updates are a bust then idk what to say.

But I still don’t get how mclaren has improved so much in that regard. Last season they were eating tyres worse than we are currently. Now they’re solid on every track
Suspension tuning is a window. Seems like McL can just hit it more often this year.

wiktor977
wiktor977

Waz wrote:
21 Apr 2024, 13:19
Race operations from this team is a shambles every race. Without Alonso's brilliance they would be 8th in the WCC getting spanked by Haas.

Availability of tires or not, fitting softs was a bad choice, there's no proper excuse that changes that. If they're limited on options, that too, is down to poor race operations.

They're the new Ferrari.
Fitting softs was a good choice. No one could predict a second safety car.

GoranF1
GoranF1

Strange car, very difficult on heavy fuel and than getting faster and faster towards end of race. Hoping after summer brake some significant update from new WT.
"I have no idols. I admire work, dedication & competence."

Bisonas

I don’t get why ppl are frustrated with the strategy and the tire choice. Even Rosberg at live coverage was saying kind of stupid things about it. But ok, i can understand that the commentators don’t have the whole picture about what ALO or AMR are doing but ok AMR strategists are not that stupid.

Well for some of us that do have the whole picture, with Live tv + Onboard & pitwall communications + Live timing is more easy to understand what’s really going ok.

As someone else said they didn’t have much of a choice at that point. The safety car forced their hand. They had to pit for new tires or they would have been exposed to more pain l8r on. Even if they had another brand new set of hards at that point, I don’t think (nor they I guess), that they could manage 27-30 laps to the end with competitive times. Not with their current tire deg anyway. Of course doing 27-30 laps on Mediums was also out of the question.

So.. at the first safety car the only real debate (for me at least) was going for soft first then medium, or medium first and soft at the end. Medium first was giving them a little more flexibility but soft first was giving them more chances to get ahead of SAI at the restart and try to make as much of a gap to him before the last pitstop. I think Soft first was the better/wiser choice at that point. Getting ahead of SAI was very crucial to them.

Now about the points. I hear ppl saying Alonso lost many points with that strategy etc etc. I don’t really think that he lost many points. IMO he just lost 1 point while giving RUS 2 more.

Let me explain.

Even If he could fit a brand new Hard at the Safety car, trying going to the end to emulate all the others, I have to remind you that he ended up at 6th position at the restart behind SAI. The only reason he got passed SAI was because he had new softs at the restart. So, even if he had new Hards, I find it very very difficult he could get ahead of the Ferrari at the restart because SAI hards wheren’t old at that point. They where just 8-9 laps old and 5 laps or so where under VSC or SC conditions. So basically SAI tires where just fine.
So IMO realistically best case scenario with new hards going to the end was for him to finish 6th behind SAI and get 8 points while RUS end up 7th and get 6 points. With their (forced due to circumstances I repeat) strategy they ended up 7th getting 6 Points + 1 point due to fastest lap = 7 points total. So they ended up minus 1 as I said. RUS on the other had instead of finishing 7th with 6 points he ended up 6th with 8 points so +2 for RUS as I said.

That’s it. For me it was a pretty good damage limitation and response to a very bad timed SC for them. Some may even argue that without the 2nd safety car, it may have been possible for them to also get RUS at the end and get near SAI. Who knows.

For me they did the absolute best thing they could have done at that point.
Sorry for the long post.

xReVo
xReVo

Bisonas wrote:
21 Apr 2024, 15:14
I don’t get why ppl are frustrated with the strategy and the tire choice. Even Rosberg at live coverage was saying kind of stupid things about it. But ok, i can understand that the commentators don’t have the whole picture about what ALO or AMR are doing but ok AMR strategists are not that stupid.

Well for some of us that do have the whole picture, with Live tv + Onboard & pitwall communications + Live timing is more easy to understand what’s really going ok.

As someone else said they didn’t have much of a choice at that point. The safety car forced their hand. They had to pit for new tires or they would have been exposed to more pain l8r on. Even if they had another brand new set of hards at that point, I don’t think (nor they I guess), that they could manage 27-30 laps to the end with competitive times. Not with their current tire deg anyway. Of course doing 27-30 laps on Mediums was also out of the question.

So.. at the first safety car the only real debate (for me at least) was going for soft first then medium, or medium first and soft at the end. Medium first was giving them a little more flexibility but soft first was giving them more chances to get ahead of SAI at the restart and try to make as much of a gap to him before the last pitstop. I think Soft first was the better/wiser choice at that point. Getting ahead of SAI was very crucial to them.

Now about the points. I hear ppl saying Alonso lost many points with that strategy etc etc. I don’t really think that he lost many points. IMO he just lost 1 point while giving RUS 2 more.

Let me explain.

Even If he could fit a brand new Hard at the Safety car, trying going to the end to emulate all the others, I have to remind you that he ended up at 6th position at the restart behind SAI. The only reason he got passed SAI was because he had new softs at the restart. So, even if he had new Hards, I find it very very difficult he could get ahead of the Ferrari at the restart because SAI hards wheren’t old at that point. They where just 8-9 laps old and 5 laps or so where under VSC or SC conditions. So basically SAI tires where just fine.
So IMO realistically best case scenario with new hards going to the end was for him to finish 6th behind SAI and get 8 points while RUS end up 7th and get 6 points. With their (forced due to circumstances I repeat) strategy they ended up 7th getting 6 Points + 1 point due to fastest lap = 7 points total. So they ended up minus 1 as I said. RUS on the other had instead of finishing 7th with 6 points he ended up 6th with 8 points so +2 for RUS as I said.

That’s it. For me it was a pretty good damage limitation and response to a very bad timed SC for them. Some may even argue that without the 2nd safety car, it may have been possible for them to also get RUS at the end and get near SAI. Who knows.

For me they did the absolute best thing they could have done at that point.
Sorry for the long post.
The only right strategy to do was to mount the mediums and finish the race with them, which was absolutely possible. The red ones make no sense in the race on any circuit, and above all it makes no sense in China which is one of the circuits that degrades the tires the most. 2 topic: I see many people complaining about Stroll because he damages Aston Martin in the WC, WOW as if anything changed for a team to finish 4 or 5 in the constructors' classification (with less hours in the wind tunnel among other things), you still haven't understood that the The only thing that matters is the drivers' championship (Redbull won it for only 3 years (now 4) with a single driver). 3rd topic: these sensational updates from Imola... first of all the problem with the Aston Martin which I have been saying since the beginning of the championship is the front suspension, another track front limited the slope and it highlights it clearly! And you can't solve this with updates (because you can't change the suspension). Let's also add that all the other teams will make Major upgrades for Imola, the final result: AM will be where it is now if not worse, perhaps it will even lose its qualifying advantage. Another gem, they have a worse top speed than Mercedes and McLaren, why is it superior in qualifying in your opinion? Due to the DRS effect, in fact without DRS it has less top speed than the other two motorized ones! So with this car getting a podium is almost impossible without adverse scenarios. Enough of the usual stuff, Aston Martin's problem isn't Stroll, end of story.

-wkst-
-wkst-

The wind tunnel won’t be online until August and according to Fallows the main development program will be moved in the new tunnel only around the end of the year, when they are happy with the correlation and all the other stuff…

So the 2025 car will still be a Brackley wind tunnel car.

2026 Runner will be the first full AMRTC car.