2024 Mclaren Formula 1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
_cerber1

Re: 2024 Mclaren Formula 1 Team

Emag
Emag

To the person who said he is worried the team might not be evaluating their performance correctly, just look at this :

As I said, McLaren did not look good at all in comparison to Max. But Perez and Ferrari underdelivered and that flattered them a bit.

Of course, because of the difference in strategies the gaps shown here are slightly bigger because the laps where Lando was extending the first stint, both RedBulls were lapping a couple of seconds faster than him. Outliers aside, it was probably closer to 0.6s and equal-ish with Perez (or slightly better).

But nevertheless, if Ferrari had a similar gap to RedBull here that they have had during the season so far (0.3-0.5s), that puts them ahead of Lando.

EDIT : The post above mine shows a graph which calculates the pace more accurately instead of just taking the average.

LionsHeart
LionsHeart

mwillems wrote:
21 Apr 2024, 11:31
LionsHeart wrote:
21 Apr 2024, 11:08
Lando exceeded even my predictions! Well done, so well done! Bravo! Strong race, one pit stop. Race pace was fine. =D>

mwillems, where are my rubles? :D
I'll fetch my wallet.. 😆😆😆

You still owe me last 2, no wonder you can buy expensive cars 🤣🤣
Well, I'll forget my debts to you. :D I have to admit that I was expecting a quick breakthrough from Ferrari. It turned out to be a very atypical race. Moreover, tire wear was extremely low.

LionsHeart
LionsHeart

Damage limitations

mclaren111

proteus wrote:
21 Apr 2024, 09:47
The podium is lost... Lando really cant catch a break....

Amazingly we had good pace to keep second... :D :D

mwillems

LionsHeart wrote:
21 Apr 2024, 11:48
mwillems wrote:
21 Apr 2024, 11:31
LionsHeart wrote:
21 Apr 2024, 11:08
Lando exceeded even my predictions! Well done, so well done! Bravo! Strong race, one pit stop. Race pace was fine. =D>

mwillems, where are my rubles? :D
I'll fetch my wallet.. 😆😆😆

You still owe me last 2, no wonder you can buy expensive cars 🤣🤣
Well, I'll forget my debts to you. :D I have to admit that I was expecting a quick breakthrough from Ferrari. It turned out to be a very atypical race. Moreover, tire wear was extremely low.
I was also expecting the same. I just thought that if we got passed on the back straight then we'd not get the positions back so there was a risk it'd be tough at the start. The car was better than anyone expected.

But the Safety Car was a godsend for Lando today and gifted him track position in the phase of the race that the Mclaren is only bettered by Max.
I'm not taking advice from a cartoon dog

-Bandit

proteus

mclaren111 wrote:
21 Apr 2024, 11:56
proteus wrote:
21 Apr 2024, 09:47
The podium is lost... Lando really cant catch a break....

Amazingly we had good pace to keep second... :D :D
Amen to that 🙂
If i would get the money to start my own F1 team, i would revive Arrows

MrGapes

Wow... didn't expect p2 (really unlucky for Oscar)... I do believe ferrari unperformed, looking at the telemetry is interesting, relative to verstappen majority of the time is lost in the first three corners approx. 3-5 tenths a lap .

Rikhart
Rikhart

I am really disapointed with Piastri, expected much more from him this year.

organic

Sensational from Lando and McLaren. Narratives of the sprint eradicated :D

Didn't expect such a result at all =D> though I will say that Perez and ferraris underperformed significantly, but McLaren's step forward from sprint to race pace surely was also substantial

f1isgood
f1isgood

Rikhart wrote:
21 Apr 2024, 12:48
I am really disapointed with Piastri, expected much more from him this year.
Seems like understanding these Pirellis is not easy

SilviuAgo

Now that everyone managed to wake up to watch the race :))) and we calmed down after the comments during the race (the Ferraris will overtake us, we're not up against Aston, Mercedes is faster) we have to keep in mind the following things, in my opinion:
1. The team did an excellent job after the sprint race setting up the car in such a way that the tire degradation was not as pronounced in the main race as it was in the sprint where, after a few laps, both Lando and Oscar had to take care of the rear tires.
2. Lando managed an excellent race both in terms of tire management and strategy, the stop on VSC being the move that led to this possible P2. No mistake from Lando, even receiving praise from the pits for the average tire degradation level, according to the team's data the best of all the teams. Here, as a parenthesis, there was a confusion on the part of the organizers about where to send the cars that finished on the podium. The message reached Lando quite late, when he was already on the bus line. And after that, both Max and Perez were sent to the pits, where it was "parc ferme". So another cheap irony for Lando, undeserved.
3. Unfortunately Oscar had a good race until the collision with Ricciardo's car. Even though he radioed that he didn't feel the hit, it seems that the impact was 4 points from the front wing. So that the car is properly balanced. As he has not made any pit stops, Oscar had to make efforts to adjust this imbalance from the pilot. However, it should be appreciated that he managed to keep Hamilton's car at a distance, another proof of the superiority of McLaren vs Mercedes.
So, as a conclusion, a very good race for McLaren, important points in the constructors' ranking, which consolidates P3, plus hopes that, at this moment, if not Max's RedBull, at least Perez's and the Ferraris can be beaten.

McLarenMor
McLarenMor

Let's hope the Miami upgrades will correlate to expectations, Stella said almost every panel on the car should be revisited to a certain degree and Landon sounded optimistic on the momentum and what's to come.

mwillems

Stella has been saying it will need a few upgrades to pass Ferrari, so I expect us to win the championship with the next upgrade.
I'm not taking advice from a cartoon dog

-Bandit

MCLvamos
MCLvamos

Seems like we have unlocked a decent chunk of performance in setup understanding over the last few races. If we look back to the slow speed in Bahrain we were even struggling compared to Mercedes, now we seem to be a step ahead through most range of corners.