BrawnGP

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
gcdugas

Re: BrawnGP

Birel99 wrote:JT, I know we went into some discussion about this in another thread but...

How do you increase surface temperature on a tyre?

Thank you!

Suspension geometries, especially in F1 has to play the least of all factors into tire temp. As much as I can wrap my head around it, I think that good old fashioned toe-in and air pressure steeings are responsibly for 99% of a tire's heat generating characteristics. Plus the rear tires are affected somewhat by radiator outlets and exhaust management. Perhaps exposing the rears to more hot air affects the tire heat characteristics enough to use a bit less wing to achieve the same grip? I remember Renault doing this about two seasons ago and it greatly benefited their "first lap" quali performance. Clicky
Innovation over refinement is the prefered path to performance. -- Get rid of the dopey regs in F1

astracrazy
astracrazy

Is this new, to the left of the virgin sponsor something seems to go up and something else down?

roost89
roost89

I caught a glimpse of it. I think it read "Virgin Health Clubs"
"It could be done manually. It would take quite a while, but it could be done. There is however a much more efficient and accurate way of getting the data. Men with lasers." Wing Commander Andy Green

blobslosak
blobslosak

Noticed that Brawn now have turning vanes at the front of the side pods.

bar555
bar555

blobslosak wrote:Noticed that Brawn now have turning vanes at the front of the side pods.
Brawn added sidepod panels in Valencia

http://www.formula1.com/news/technical/ ... 6/685.html
Future is like walking into past......

Blog : http://formula1techandart.wordpress.com/
Twitter :http://twitter.com/bar555onF1

blobslosak
blobslosak

I must say I have wondered for a while why they didn't have any, as pretty much everyone else has them.

gcdugas

blobslosak wrote:I must say I have wondered for a while why they didn't have any, as pretty much everyone else has them.

including the currently fastest McLarens????

They are not magic. I also thought that these bits were against the rules and that Ferrari were pushing the grey area of the rules by justifying it as a "mirror mount".
Innovation over refinement is the prefered path to performance. -- Get rid of the dopey regs in F1

Giblet
Giblet

I had posted this image before, as it illustrates quite well what the side pod vanes do. The car is going very slow, but since the water acts the same(ish) at slow speed as the air at high speed, you get an idea how much they change the airflow.

Before I do anything I ask myself “Would an idiot do that?” And if the answer is yes, I do not do that thing. - Dwight Schrute

BreezyRacer
BreezyRacer

Sweet pic, Giblet!

Giblet
Giblet

BreezyRacer wrote:Sweet pic, Giblet!
One of the advantages of a PVR, you can go back to frame by frame to get images.

I like how the 'fluid' is going around the outside of the rear tires.
Before I do anything I ask myself “Would an idiot do that?” And if the answer is yes, I do not do that thing. - Dwight Schrute

BreezyRacer
BreezyRacer

Giblet wrote:
BreezyRacer wrote:Sweet pic, Giblet!
One of the advantages of a PVR, you can go back to frame by frame to get images.

I like how the 'fluid' is going around the outside of the rear tires.
without those air straighteners/deflectors maybe the wake from the sidepods landed right smack on the rear tire surface, making them run a bit too cool. Just a thought ..

wrcsti
wrcsti

Nice Giblet, but I made a gif of it.

tadzio89
tadzio89

amazing - last time they(Brawn GP) were going crosswise during race to heat up the tyres, and now Rubens said: "The second lap was perhaps a bit too much for the tyres which started overheating and unfortunately I lost the car on turn eight."

ESPImperium
ESPImperium

If brawn can get something like the Spain/Turkey setup for they tyres with a little of the Silverstone-Hungary setup for the tyres as well they will get heat into them, but be very easy on them as well, giving them a genuine advantage at most circuits for the rest of the season.

However, the Red Bulls will still dominate when the track temprature is lower than what is the BGP001s operating temprature window.

I think those sidepod vaynes are really good addition to the Brawn car, they look hideous on it, but they could add a ammound of added aero efficency and posibly add a couple of % of added downforce as well with it.

PlatinumZealot

There was an article on this site with Button saying that BrawnGP figured out what caused the problem, but they will not reveal what it is.
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

Racing Green in 2028