2024 Scuderia Ferrari F1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
Waz
Waz

Re: 2024 Scuderia Ferrari F1 Team

Where does the assumption come from that LeClerc stays out longer if he was ahead of Piastri?

It did look as if he was trying to bring the tires in a little too gently, which he has been doing since 2022 actually. There used to be a radio call from his engineer about the tires being ready now. (Which is separate bit of ridiculous)

Maybe his real mistake was that, and if he had been more aggressive on the tires, they would have warmed up sooner, and he would have been hassling Verstappen instead of being hounded by Piastri.

Vanja #66

Xyz22 wrote:
06 May 2024, 17:20
Absolutely not. He could have protected the inside earlier but he didn't expect such a move. Piastri pulled it off brilliantly, contrary to Sainz :D
Piastri was on the dirty side and had worse braking going into the corner. He got to 150m mark being half a car alongside Leclerc, but at the 100m mark Leclerc was fully ahead since Leclerc started braking later of course. You can see Ferrari rear wing in trees ahead of yellow line at 100m mark. After that Piastri forces himself on, barely makes the corner and Leclerc has to back off. I wouldn't be surprised if Piastri even lucked into the overtake with poor braking on the dirty side, not the first time it would have happened...

AR3-GP wrote:
06 May 2024, 17:26
There's a version of the race where Leclerc defends the inside, keeps the position on Piastri, stays out long like he did in all previous GP and pits during the safety car. Follow that with a clever safety car restart and he would have had a great chance at least. That's all you can ask.
He wasn't losing time to Piastri while behind, he was losing time to Max. Undercut attempt was aimed at Max and we saw Max responded to it few laps later.
Last edited by Vanja #66 on 06 May 2024, 17:55, edited 1 time in total.
And they call it a stall. A STALL!

#DwarvesAreNaturalSprinters
#BlessYouLaddie

dia6olo
dia6olo

Waz wrote:
06 May 2024, 17:45
Where does the assumption come from that LeClerc stays out longer if he was ahead of Piastri?

It did look as if he was trying to bring the tires in a little too gently, which he has been doing since 2022 actually. There used to be a radio call from his engineer about the tires being ready now. (Which is separate bit of ridiculous)

Maybe his real mistake was that, and if he had been more aggressive on the tires, they would have warmed up sooner, and he would have been hassling Verstappen instead of being hounded by Piastri.
The assumption comes from the previous races were Leclerc has arguably had the best tyre deg of all.

jambuka
jambuka

How is Mclaren able to bring 0.4 upgrades but other teams are not ? Apparently Imola upgrade for Ferrari is only 0.2. And Mclaren are supposed to get 2 more big packages this season. I can easily see them go ahead of RB by end of this season if all their packages are 0.4.

Emag
Emag

jambuka wrote:
06 May 2024, 18:12
How is Mclaren able to bring 0.4 upgrades but other teams are not ? Apparently Imola upgrade for Ferrari is only 0.2. And Mclaren are supposed to get 2 more big packages this season. I can easily see them go ahead of RB by end of this season if all their packages are 0.4.
The other packages obviously wont be worth 0.4s
This one was in the works for quite some time. They started the season with a basic spec to focus resources on this one. Even last year, it was the Austria package that was the big booster. The singapore package made them more consistent (which arguably could be considered a more valuable thing to have, but it's relative. If you're consistently slow then you don't have much).

And let's see how things turn out after Imola. These numbers thrown on upgrades kind of make no sense, especially when they assign discrete values like this (0.2, 0.4). Because what exactly is the reference for that number? An upgrade will be worth more or less depending on track.

franbatista123

Ferrari is still in a much better position than Mclaren, provided the upgrades work. The car is consistent, works in different conditions/tracks and only has a couple of things to improve but nothing too major (slow speed, bit of drag reduction, getting tyres up to temperature).

Remember that Ferrari focused more on consistency this year (rightfully so) and were a bit conservative, but now is the time to unlock performance. The question isn't if Mclaren has surpassed Ferrari, but if Ferrari with the upgrades will be better than RB IMO.

Operationally, strategies and pit stops have been very good, ok at worst which is still much better than previous years. I must say... i am so excited for Imola :)

dia6olo
dia6olo

Emag wrote:
06 May 2024, 18:18
jambuka wrote:
06 May 2024, 18:12
The other packages obviously wont be worth 0.4s
This one was in the works for quite some time. They started the season with a basic spec to focus resources on this one. Even last year, it was the Austria package that was the big booster. The singapore package made them more consistent (which arguably could be considered a more valuable thing to have, but it's relative. If you're consistently slow then you don't have much).

And let's see how things turn out after Imola. These numbers thrown on upgrades kind of make no sense, especially when they assign discrete values like this (0.2, 0.4). Because what exactly is the reference for that number? An upgrade will be worth more or less depending on track.
Yeah I don't understand how someone comes up with these numbers.
There is no way in a million years anyone can conclude that based on one race.
Any car can swing from plus 2 tenths to minus 2 tenths just based on setup and changing conditions, there are way to many variables especially at a sprint weekend, what the upgrade is really worth will only be revealed when it has done 3/4 races. The same with Ferrari's Imola upgrade.

codetower

AR3-GP wrote:
06 May 2024, 16:20
Why did Leclerc allow Piastri to go through without any fight? Bizarre. Leclerc lost the race right there. Even if Ferrari wasn't the fastest car, there was a massive opportunity yesterday. Sainz would have never let Piastri past.
Charles is driving smarter these days. He knows this race in this heat isn't won on lap 5. Why eat up your tyres so early to fend off a car that you are (supposedly) quicker than, and have better deg than? I think he did the right thing not to get into a useless battle so early on. It was lap 5... no sense taking that risk.

SoulPancake13
SoulPancake13

If Charles defended Piastri and got crashed out of the race, I don't even want to know the reactions from some here.

Xyz22
Xyz22

codetower wrote:
06 May 2024, 19:26
AR3-GP wrote:
06 May 2024, 16:20
Why did Leclerc allow Piastri to go through without any fight? Bizarre. Leclerc lost the race right there. Even if Ferrari wasn't the fastest car, there was a massive opportunity yesterday. Sainz would have never let Piastri past.
Charles is driving smarter these days. He knows this race in this heat isn't won on lap 5. Why eat up your tyres so early to fend off a car that you are (supposedly) quicker than, and have better deg than? I think he did the right thing not to get into a useless battle so early on. It was lap 5... no sense taking that risk.
This is also true, and it's paying off massively over the long term.

AR3-GP
AR3-GP

SoulPancake13 wrote:
06 May 2024, 20:47
If Charles defended Piastri and got crashed out of the race, I don't even want to know the reactions from some here.
This is just the opposite extreme. Hyperbole.

SoulPancake13
SoulPancake13

AR3-GP wrote:
06 May 2024, 21:17
SoulPancake13 wrote:
Please explain how what I said was hyperbole because quite honestly there is no argument for it. Please stop with this topic, Charles has proven before that he is a very good defender.

AR3-GP
AR3-GP

SoulPancake13 wrote:
06 May 2024, 21:46
AR3-GP wrote:
SoulPancake13 wrote:
Please explain how what I said was hyperbole because quite honestly there is no argument for it. Please stop with this topic, Charles has proven before that he is a very good defender.
To imply that Charles defending would have resulted in a crash is hyperbole. Unless I have misinterpreted?

SoulPancake13
SoulPancake13

AR3-GP wrote:
06 May 2024, 21:52
SoulPancake13 wrote:
06 May 2024, 21:46
AR3-GP wrote:

To imply that Charles defending would have resulted in a crash is hyperbole. Unless I have misinterpreted?
Not *would* have but could have. Like other users have pointed out, a lap 5 overtake when you think you'll have the faster car + better deg isn't the end of the world.

Xyz22
Xyz22

Can someone make a comp between Sainz lap times after he overtook Piastri and Norris laptimes?
That would be a somewhat useful indication.