2024 Scuderia Ferrari F1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
venkyhere
venkyhere

Re: 2024 Scuderia Ferrari F1 Team

Reading all the hype about "Ferrari's Imola upgrade" in sports media, F1 forums and websites, I am afraid whether the usual Tifosi over-the-topness is really one notch higher than usual, this time. Hopefully the RedBull update isn't a bigger performance step than the Ferrari update

dia6olo
dia6olo

venkyhere wrote:
11 May 2024, 19:42
Reading all the hype about "Ferrari's Imola upgrade" in sports media, F1 forums and websites, I am afraid whether the usual Tifosi over-the-topness is really one notch higher than usual, this time. Hopefully the RedBull update isn't a bigger performance step than the Ferrari update
It's not just the tifosi that overeat, it happens at all teams.
Regardless, I think that while the tifosi have been let down by Ferrari more times than they care to remember, it's also clear that this is a very different team to the past recent teams.
There is a lot that has been done right over the past 12 + months and therefor every reason to be very optimistic.
Last edited by dia6olo on 11 May 2024, 20:09, edited 4 times in total.

CaribouBread
CaribouBread

Reading the reactions here I almost thought I missed the Imola GP. What foresight some of our users have! The upgrade package has come and gone, the time improvements deduced and critiqued, the race standings already decided! Before even a single lap is circulated! =D>

Vanja #66

bananapeel23 wrote:
11 May 2024, 19:16
I don't know if I'd put too much stock in Xavi leaving having anything to do with broader strategy or Lewis. I think people pay too much attention to him becuase he sometimes sounds stupid and produces some of the most unintentionally funny radio messages. Xavi is in all likelihood a very competent employee that Leclerc likes and wanted to continue working with, he almost certainly wasn't shuffled around because he was incompetent or worked poorly with Leclerc. Remember that Leclerc always defended him.

Also, aren't race engineers considered very senior employees? They get promoted all the time, which is likely what happened with Xavi.

I think it was simply a case of Xavi getting a good job offer in another part of the company and choosing to leave, with no broader strategic implications behind the decision.
In the last two and a half years he wasn't competent enough in some of the most crucial moments. Monaco, Silverstone and Hungary 2022, Brasil Q 2022 and the decision to start Q3 on Inters instead of Softs. Monaco 2023 late impeding in Q3 costing Leclerc an easy P3 from start to finish, Austria SQ3 impeding and a lost chance to get 3-4 points in Sprint. Way too early pit stop in Miami last weekend cost Leclerc a lot seeing how Norris finished. Race engineer is not just an executive voice on the radio, that person needs to make the calls on strategy, keep track of cars on track and avoid impeding etc.
And they call it a stall. A STALL!

#DwarvesAreNaturalSprinters
#BlessYouLaddie

yooogurt

Vanja #66 wrote:
11 May 2024, 20:51
Way too early pit stop in Miami last weekend cost Leclerc a lot seeing how Norris finished. Race engineer is not just an executive voice on the radio, that person needs to make the calls on strategy, keep track of cars on track and avoid impeding etc.
Wasn't the pit stop so early because Oscar was able to overtake Charles?
There was no other way to take the position back, was there?
FORZA FERRARI!

Vanja #66

yooogurt wrote:
11 May 2024, 21:03
Doesn't matter, overcut is typically a better solution in Miami. Max executed this perfectly last year and Norris confirmed it again this year. Ultimately, Leclerc was left on oldest tyres of all and was never going to be able to pressure Max in that situation. However you look at it, it was a wrong call and I even said before the race they absolutely must extend with Leclerc.

#BlessYouLaddie

dialtone
dialtone

yooogurt wrote:
Vanja #66 wrote:
11 May 2024, 20:51
Way too early pit stop in Miami last weekend cost Leclerc a lot seeing how Norris finished. Race engineer is not just an executive voice on the radio, that person needs to make the calls on strategy, keep track of cars on track and avoid impeding etc.
They just went too early, no matter what.

Charles didn’t put himself in a good position but at some point we shouldn’t try and have him do 200 laps on the same tires each race.

Norris was further behind and decided to go much longer. Even if Ferrari wanted to stop earlier they should have waited 4-5 laps to do it anyway.

Then again it also caused Max to pit to cover so RBR isn’t immune from errors either.

yooogurt

Vanja #66 wrote:
11 May 2024, 21:22
Doesn't matter, overcut is typically a better solution in Miami. Max executed this perfectly last year and Norris confirmed it again this year. Ultimately, Leclerc was left on oldest tyres of all and was never going to be able to pressure Max in that situation. However you look at it, it was a wrong call and I even said before the race they absolutely must extend with Leclerc.
I doubt Oscar would have gone to the pit before Charles, so how do you overcut him? I dont get it. And I think the idea of putting pressure on Max was gone after a bad start and missing Oscar. Probably after such a bad start the goal was top2.
Btw I guess the teams didn't expect the tires to last this long even with a full of fuel.
Norris didn't go on the attack mode right away at the beginning, he took a lot of laps to take care of his tires.
FORZA FERRARI!

LetHimTrough
LetHimTrough

They could get Piastri in the pit stops. Leclerc had a 1.9seg pit-stop and Piastri 3.1 seg. Only there there was the overtake.

yooogurt

dialtone wrote:
11 May 2024, 21:25
They just went too early, no matter what.

Charles didn’t put himself in a good position but at some point we shouldn’t try and have him do 200 laps on the same tires each race.

Norris was further behind and decided to go much longer. Even if Ferrari wanted to stop earlier they should have waited 4-5 laps to do it anyway.

Then again it also caused Max to pit to cover so RBR isn’t immune from errors either.
In case when you know how the tires are going to live, yeah, maybe. But seeing how the same Norris saved tires in the beginning, I think at that time teams did not imagine that deg will be so small.
FORZA FERRARI!

Vanja #66

yooogurt wrote:
11 May 2024, 21:37
I doubt Oscar would have gone to the pit before Charles, so how do you overcut him? I dont get it. And I think the idea of putting pressure on Max was gone after a bad start and missing Oscar. Probably after such a bad start the goal was top2.
Btw I guess the teams didn't expect the tires to last this long even with a full of fuel.
Norris didn't go on the attack mode right away at the beginning, he took a lot of laps to take care of his tires.
McLaren did not respond to Leclerc's pit with Oscar, they played their game and still went to pit before SC. Norris stayed longer, they understood they can gain a lot from SC or at least another and longer VSC and nothing to lose with the pace they had on Mediums. Leclerc didn't have any deg, neither did Oscar, Leclerc was always able to extend so why not go with overcut on a track that rewards this? Undercut was the right move in Australia, but it's a completely different type of track.

#BlessYouLaddie

yooogurt

Vanja #66 wrote:
11 May 2024, 21:51
McLaren did not respond to Leclerc's pit with Oscar, they played their game and still went to pit before SC. Norris stayed longer, they understood they can gain a lot from SC or at least another and longer VSC and nothing to lose with the pace they had on Mediums. Leclerc didn't have any deg, neither did Oscar, Leclerc was always able to extend so why not go with overcut on a track that rewards this? Undercut was the right move in Australia, but it's a completely different type of track.
And in their game, they lost a position to Charles that he couldn't take on the track, and they couldn't get it back, because Carlos contact with Oscar didn't happen right after the restart. Sounds ok to me, I just don't see any other way Oscar's position could have been won back if both pilots were stretching out the first stint.
FORZA FERRARI!

f1316
f1316

I know this is a bit off topic but two straight races where circumstances have denied the WEC Ferrari HyperCars a win is a bit of a tough pill to swallow! At least they look like they have pace for Le Mans though.

For the Miami pit stop strategy, I felt like they missed a trick by using Sainz for the undercut - forcing Piastri to cover - and leaving Charles with a clear track for over cut.

dialtone
dialtone

f1316 wrote:I know this is a bit off topic but two straight races where circumstances have denied the WEC Ferrari HyperCars a win is a bit of a tough pill to swallow! At least they look like they have pace for Le Mans though.

For the Miami pit stop strategy, I felt like they missed a trick by using Sainz for the undercut - forcing Piastri to cover - and leaving Charles with a clear track for over cut.
More so than pace it’s the tire management that improved drastically in WEC as well.

A bit worried for the night time at LeMans but hopefully they carry this pace with them.

This time BoP is very even in terms of power to weight ratio so it’s really down to how good the car is that they have best top speed and best tire management.

Vanja #66

According to Nugnes and also written by ScuderiaFans, between the lines, driver feedback was positive and only one high-speed corner in Fiorano was important for engineers to analyse... As far as I understand

https://scuderiafans.com/encouraging-da ... e-details/

https://it-motorsport-com.translate.goo ... r_pto=wapp

#BlessYouLaddie