2024 Mclaren Formula 1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
LionsHeart
LionsHeart

Re: 2024 Mclaren Formula 1 Team

mwillems

If we don't have a red and white car at Monaco I'll be very surprised.
I'm not taking advice from a cartoon dog

-Bandit

mclaren111

https://www.the-race.com/formula-1/mcla ... -explains/

Gary Anderson's take on the upgrades... One of his better articles...

mclaren111

LionsHeart wrote:
11 May 2024, 07:02
Peter Prodromou says

https://x.com/McLarenF1/status/1788965974290444324

Senna was simply in a class of his own...

LionsHeart
LionsHeart

mclaren111 wrote:
11 May 2024, 10:52
https://www.the-race.com/formula-1/mcla ... -explains/

Gary Anderson's take on the upgrades... One of his better articles...
I haven't read the article yet, but if you refer to formula.uno, McLaren was able to add 0.4 seconds. If this is true, then Red Bull will stay ahead. The average gap between McLaren and Red Bull in qualifying in the first 5 races was 5 tenths. In the race, it was 6 tenths. Stella says the right things: if we want to fight with Red Bull, we need another package of updates, which is comparable in its effectiveness to what they brought to Miami. In this case, taking into account the future updates Red Bull and Ferrari, McLaren will be able to consistently fight for victories.

haza
haza

Remember miamis a rather unconventional track for all we know the 4 tenths gained at Miami could end up being more than that at a more conventional circuit although our race pace was fastest in Miami (even before the safety car) it’s still to early to determine how well they will perform but if this trend continues and the supposed 4 tenths coming from Ferrari is true then we see RBR,McL and Ferrari locked together for the remainder of the season

LionsHeart
LionsHeart

haza wrote:
11 May 2024, 13:00
Remember miamis a rather unconventional track for all we know the 4 tenths gained at Miami could end up being more than that at a more conventional circuit although our race pace was fastest in Miami (even before the safety car) it’s still to early to determine how well they will perform but if this trend continues and the supposed 4 tenths coming from Ferrari is true then we see RBR,McL and Ferrari locked together for the remainder of the season
On the one hand, I completely agree. On the other hand, exactly a year ago McLaren was the slowest in Miami. So it’s really difficult to judge. I watched how the teams of the weak group lag behind the leading group. In the race, at times it seemed like they were closer than usual. The same can be said in one fast lap. In general, I agree with you. Miami is an atypical track, not in terms of track configuration, but rather in terms of asphalt temperature and road surface roughness. Let's wait for Imola, the balance of power will become much clearer there.

LionsHeart
LionsHeart

If anyone is interested in this information, I’m posting an addition to my previous analysis and observation: comparing the Miami onboard 2023 and 2024 with Lando driving, I found some changes in the trajectories.

The biggest changes are visible in turns 11 and 17. The entry point has become earlier. The chassis hits an early apex, which was not the case in 2023. These changes are not very noticeable in turn 11, but are radically different in turn 17.

The point of main braking begins at the same place within 110 meters from the apex. No yearly differences were found here. But in the final phase, Lando turns the steering wheel to the left earlier and thereby cuts off the turn. This results in a hit at the early or central apex. In 2023, Lando couldn't do that. He had to brake completely on the straight wheels and then turn the steering wheel to get to the late apex.

What is the main reason? More grip in the front or more stability in the rear? Or both at the same time.

Last year, Lando started on soft tires, then pitted 5 laps later and drove the remaining 52 laps on hard tires.

BMMR61

LionsHeart wrote:
11 May 2024, 19:32
If anyone is interested in this information, I’m posting an addition to my previous analysis and observation: comparing the Miami onboard 2023 and 2024 with Lando driving, I found some changes in the trajectories.

The biggest changes are visible in turns 11 and 17. The entry point has become earlier. The chassis hits an early apex, which was not the case in 2023. These changes are not very noticeable in turn 11, but are radically different in turn 17.

The point of main braking begins at the same place within 110 meters from the apex. No yearly differences were found here. But in the final phase, Lando turns the steering wheel to the left earlier and thereby cuts off the turn. This results in a hit at the early or central apex. In 2023, Lando couldn't do that. He had to brake completely on the straight wheels and then turn the steering wheel to get to the late apex.

What is the main reason? More grip in the front or more stability in the rear? Or both at the same time.

Last year, Lando started on soft tires, then pitted 5 laps later and drove the remaining 52 laps on hard tires.
Thanks for the analysis. Through my eyes the car's turn in characteristic looked to be transformed, with a real planted front. This observation, if true, would be confirmed by your description. It may be that the aero has transferred the centre of pressure towards the front. I would also have thought that this strong front end will go some way to reducing the difficult transition into corners complained about by drivers going back to the MCL35. This does seem to be contradicted by the drivers comments though.

LionsHeart
LionsHeart

BMMR61 wrote:
11 May 2024, 23:40
LionsHeart wrote:
11 May 2024, 19:32

Thanks for the analysis. Through my eyes the car's turn in characteristic looked to be transformed, with a real planted front. This observation, if true, would be confirmed by your description. It may be that the aero has transferred the centre of pressure towards the front. I would also have thought that this strong front end will go some way to reducing the difficult transition into corners complained about by drivers going back to the MCL35. This does seem to be contradicted by the drivers comments though.
In my previous big post, I wrote a little more about my impressions of the 2024 Miami onboard. But there is another curious fact here. In the rest of the turns I actually didn't see any difference. The balance does not seem to have changed in a year. That is, in certain places the difference is clearly visible. Perhaps telemetry would help figure it out. It is difficult to determine by eye how much more speed a driver is taking, there is a difference of dozens in turns, so in principle I am not able to see this.

Miami is not indicative, if only because tire wear in the race is low here. And on such tracks, McLaren looks competitive with Ferrari and Red Bull. Jeddah is proof of this. Will C3-C5 tires be brought to Imola? Therefore, tire wear there is also small. So, let’s wait a couple more races, then it will finally become clear how much the updated package gave an increase in speed.

haza
haza

Tomsky
Tomsky

LionsHeart wrote:
12 May 2024, 08:51
Will C3-C5 tires be brought to Imola?
For the next three gp C3-C5.

michl420
michl420

I also came to the conclusion during the miami weekend that they may have the set up more to the slow speed section, because they where not that fast in the fast corners (S1). I also think they try long time to bring they car in a direction where that V-style corner driving is not necessary any more. Maybe they are now there. And maybe Norris has some adjustment difficulties because he drive 5 years in a different way.

trinidefender
trinidefender

It means nothing. Zak outright stated he’s happy with the technical team as is.

In case anyone didn’t know, they are friends and even race together. AN might have just been given a hat by Zak because the sun was bright.

Tomsky
Tomsky