2024 Mclaren Formula 1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
LionsHeart
LionsHeart

Re: 2024 Mclaren Formula 1 Team

mwillems wrote:
18 May 2024, 20:35
LionsHeart wrote:
18 May 2024, 20:33
mwillems wrote:
18 May 2024, 19:59

I didn't see a tow on Hulks lap but I may have missed it, I'm looking forward to seeing if that happened because if it did, it doesn't feel right at all.
Max received a boost of 0.15 seconds only on a straight line. Then he moved away a little, then gradually lost in relation to Oscar. At the exit of turn 18, Max lost a lot. The comparative video shows very clearly that Red Bull is strong at the entrance to turns, but loses strength at the exit of the turns in relation to McLaren. Once again it is clearly visible that McLaren is top in corner exit. Traction is very powerful.
I saw Max's tow from Hulk and spoken about it, same with Max's mistakes. I'm talking about Hulks tow from Max that I didn't see.
Well, these questions are not for me, but for Hulk himself. This is what he said in an interview.

LionsHeart
LionsHeart

Top speeds between McLaren, Ferrari and Mercedes are comparable. Red Bull is still ahead. But considering where McLaren was in the previous two years, this is no longer critical.

Silent Storm
Silent Storm

LionsHeart wrote:
mwillems wrote:
FittingMechanics wrote:
18 May 2024, 19:53

Wow, if this was a deal between the two. very surprising but a great idea.
I didn't see a tow on Hulks lap but I may have missed it, I'm looking forward to seeing if that happened because if it did, it doesn't feel right at all.
Max received a boost of 0.15 seconds only on a straight line. Then he moved away a little, then gradually lost in relation to Oscar. At the exit of turn 18, Max lost a lot. The comparative video shows very clearly that Red Bull is strong at the entrance to turns, but loses strength at the exit of the turns in relation to McLaren. Once again it is clearly visible that McLaren is top in corner exit. Traction is very powerful.
Telemetry shows Max was getting on throttle earlier than Piastri and Norris so no... Mclaren doesn't have a traction advantage.
The cheapest sort of pride is national pride, every miserable fool who has nothing at all of which he can be proud adopts, as a last resource, pride in the nation to which he belongs; thus reimbursing himself for his own inferiority.

mwillems

Silent Storm wrote:
18 May 2024, 20:45
LionsHeart wrote:
mwillems wrote:

Telemetry shows Max was getting on throttle earlier than Piastri and Norris so no... Mclaren doesn't have a traction advantage.
Unless im mistaken it looks like it also shows Max taking a slower apex than the Mclarens, and that he consistently was losing time on corner exits and for some of the subsequent straights.
I'm not taking advice from a cartoon dog

-Bandit

LionsHeart
LionsHeart

The preliminary weather forecast calls for precipitation in the second half of the race. This may affect the choice of tires at the start of the race. Let's see.

LionsHeart
LionsHeart

Silent Storm wrote:
18 May 2024, 20:45
LionsHeart wrote:
mwillems wrote:

You're right. This is not visible on telemetry, but is clearly visible in the comparative video where it is clear that Oscar loses at the entrance to turns, but wins back at the exit.

Alex_Z
Alex_Z

Tomorrow we will see if Norris has the minerals to beat his buddy with the fastest car under him albeit on a difficult track to overtake - but that's the challenge. My fear is he is too pally with Max and doesn't have that killer instinct compared to the greats, Sunday will reveal a lot.

_cerber1

LionsHeart wrote:
18 May 2024, 21:01
The preliminary weather forecast calls for precipitation in the second half of the race. This may affect the choice of tires at the start of the race. Let's see.
There is no rain on the map until the second half of Monday, I think this unknown can be removed.

FittingMechanics
FittingMechanics

mwillems wrote:
Oh we were certainly fast today and could have had pole, I don't doubt that. I just push back on the idea that the poster said that we have the fastest car in F1 right now.
You are once again very cautious, which is not a bad thing, but I think the truth is in the middle.

I think that Verstappen is the best driver in F1 and his advantage is probably over a tenth a lap. The gap to NOR and PIA was less than that so I think McLaren was the best car in qualifying today. Does it mean it is a best car overall on all tracks - probably not, but with two cars under a tenth from pole it is hard to argue that the car is not the fastest or close to it.

This is especially true when you see what kind of a tow Max got from Hulk. Without that tow we are probably P1 and P2.

mwillems

FittingMechanics wrote:
18 May 2024, 21:15
mwillems wrote:
Oh we were certainly fast today and could have had pole, I don't doubt that. I just push back on the idea that the poster said that we have the fastest car in F1 right now.
You are once again very cautious, which is not a bad thing, but I think the truth is in the middle.

I think that Verstappen is the best driver in F1 and his advantage is probably over a tenth a lap. The gap to NOR and PIA was less than that so I think McLaren was the best car in qualifying today. Does it mean it is a best car overall on all tracks - probably not, but with two cars under a tenth from pole it is hard to argue that the car is not the fastest or close to it.
I won't argue that we had a fast car today, just that to say it is overall faster than Red Bull is to soon. And probably not true in my opinion, but we need a few more races to see where we are as well as to complete this weekend I think.

-Bandit

FittingMechanics
FittingMechanics

mwillems wrote:
18 May 2024, 21:17
FittingMechanics wrote:
18 May 2024, 21:15
mwillems wrote:

I won't argue that we had a fast car today, just that to say it is overall faster than Red Bull is to soon. And probably not true in my opinion, but we need a few more races to see where we are as well as to complete this weekend I think.
What will be your view if tomorrow Lando overtakes Verstappen and rides off into the sunset? (rhetorical question as I know what you will say).

Looking forward to the race tomorrow. I think we need to aim for two cars on the podium or a victory. Maybe put Piastri to go long and gamble on a safety car (likely here) and Lando does a regular strategy and attempts to undercut Verstappen.

mwillems

FittingMechanics wrote:
18 May 2024, 21:21

What will be your view if tomorrow Lando overtakes Verstappen and rides off into the sunset? (rhetorical question as I know what you will say).

Looking forward to the race tomorrow. I think we need to aim for two cars on the podium or a victory. Maybe put Piastri to go long and gamble on a safety car (likely here) and Lando does a regular strategy and attempts to undercut Verstappen.

I'd ask why he didn't stop at the chequred flag and should he be thinking about getting ready for bed.
Last edited by mwillems on 18 May 2024, 21:52, edited 1 time in total.

-Bandit

Darth-Piekus

I don't agree that Verstappen is the best current F1 driver. I agree that he is a very good driver but I think both Norris and Oscar can match him equally now that both Mclaren and Red Bull are equal.

FittingMechanics
FittingMechanics

Darth-Piekus wrote:
18 May 2024, 21:51
I don't agree that Verstappen is the best current F1 driver. I agree that he is a very good driver but I think both Norris and Oscar can match him equally now that both Mclaren and Red Bull are equal.
Norris and Verstappen regularly "fight" (or at least fought) in simracing. Verstappen has an edge. I think it is likely he is the best at this point in time.

This does not mean we cannot beat him.

mwillems

Pace is one aspect. The other is consistently extracting the maximum and finally doing that and under pressure. Oscar has raw pace but is a ways off from consistency and Lando has it all to prove under pressure

-Bandit