2024 Mclaren Formula 1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
_cerber1

Re: 2024 Mclaren Formula 1 Team

LionsHeart
LionsHeart

_cerber1 wrote:
18 May 2024, 21:07
LionsHeart wrote:
18 May 2024, 21:01
The preliminary weather forecast calls for precipitation in the second half of the race. This may affect the choice of tires at the start of the race. Let's see.
There is no rain on the map until the second half of Monday, I think this unknown can be removed.
If your words are confirmed tomorrow, I will be happy.

geogate
geogate

funny to see just how quickly everyone has got used to actually being right up there with Red Bull, and if anything, faster - that Mclaren made them really uncomfortable. Are you lot sure you are taking a moment to just enjoy what is happening? It is remarkable

FittingMechanics
FittingMechanics

geogate wrote:
18 May 2024, 22:29
funny to see just how quickly everyone has got used to actually being right up there with Red Bull, and if anything, faster - that Mclaren made them really uncomfortable. Are you lot sure you are taking a moment to just enjoy what is happening? It is remarkable
Well said. We need to enjoy this - it may not last.

Emag
Emag

geogate wrote:
I am waiting for the race tomorrow, but honestly this is absolutely crazy what this team has gone through in the last year or so.

I remember how dire the situation looked when 2023 got going last year. It was just sad to see how far off they had fallen. Seidl was gone, Key was gone. It just didn't look good combined with the performance on track. As it turned out, both of those people leaving was a blessing in disguise. Stella wouldn't have had the chance to shine otherwise.

It was pretty much the same team of people that developed the 2023 car that also made that car go from bottom-midfield to top-3 with that Austria upgrade. Stella directing things for pure efficiency, with Peter Prodromou getting the freedom to lead the aerodynamics direction, and look what that team has done.

Important hires have joined that team now, but some fantastic, previously under-utilized people still remain there and have done a fantastic job. In my relatively short memory of following this sport, I don't recall any team doing what McLaren has done this past year or so.

To go from backmarker, to podium-contender and now to a win-contender, all unfolding in 1 year or so is just so crazy impressive, I don't think they are getting enough credit for it. They keep delivering these huge upgrade packages that just propel the car forward every time.

You're right, fighting with the RedBull became a "normal" too quickly and it seems like people forgot the journey this team has been in to get here. It's nothing short of a miracle and Ferrari and Mercedes are just proving how hard it is to consistently improve the car at such big margins like what McLaren has done.

Just a reminder to some people. This is what the picture was like in Bahrain this year:

It's fun to get carried away in this competitiveness, but realistically speaking, they could have been P5 and P6 today and it still that would have been an objectively good result for a team which was unremarkably in the midfield throughout the whole 2022. Started 2023 as a proper backmarker, but ended it as the 3rd (which at times was the 2nd) fastest car and managed to carry that through for 2024.

And as I said, Aston, Mercedes and Ferrari are proof of how hard that is to do.

BMMR61

Well done to all. As said, McLaren have come a fair ways to be putting Max under pressure.

The tyre situation for tomorrow looks interesting. Ferrari, particularly Carlos found the softs were struggling and they looked stronger on the mediums. As we know Oscar was able to do very long runs on Friday on the hards - comparable to the best on mediums - so I think like Miami we may have the ability to take the mediums long in the race. Max hasn't been put under pressure much these last two years but I think Lando may be able to do more than even Oscar did at Miami and force a mistake at this tricky track. All to play for!

It seems a great pity for the team to let Oscar down by failing to give him adequate warning in Q1, surely there's enough personnel to have an almost dedicated "spotter" role for each driver in qualifying. Shouldn't happen now we're a top team.

Macklaren
Macklaren

Do you think the top 5 start on softs or mediums? The soft was able to do multiple laps in quali (so was durable) and at least half a second faster then the medium. I would start Lando on softs and do S-H and Oscar on Meds and do M-H (or M-S if we can pull it off??) since he probably needs to go longer than the Ferraris to jump them

FittingMechanics
FittingMechanics

I'd go Norris M-H and Piastri H-M.

BMMR61

I don't expect the softs will have a role tomorrow. The only tyre strategies likely will be trying to go long first with the hards, maybe for Oscar to get position on the Ferraris after his pitstop then have the faster mediums with a shorter second stint. I doubt the team will risk a near certain podium for Lando with an alternate strategy so he will go head to head with Max provided Charles doesn't jump him at the start. The trend set at Miami by McLaren's excellent tyre window where both drivers could go longer than Red Bull and Ferrari gives them reason to be hopeful of improving on P2, P5. It does appear, at least for now, that the "new" McLaren uses it's tyres rather well.

BMMR61

FittingMechanics wrote:
18 May 2024, 23:22
I agree, though as we know, McLaren are quite conservative. Piastri was very effective in P2 on long run use of the hard compound and this tyre worked well at Miami in the race. Problem with Piastri promoting his position in the race is TWO Ferraris. They should be able to tactically keep him off the podium but the McLaren tyre window appears to be the largest.

Emag
Emag

What's worrying for tomorrow is that P2 has been fuc*ed off the line here every race since 2020.

It's arguably the worst grid position to start in on the top 3.

Oscar dropping down behind both Ferraris is a bigger problem than it seems. It's highly likely Leclerc will be P2 at the start tomorrow.

FittingMechanics
FittingMechanics

BMMR61 wrote:
18 May 2024, 23:33
FittingMechanics wrote:
I agree, though as we know, McLaren are quite conservative. Piastri was very effective in P2 on long run use of the hard compound and this tyre worked well at Miami in the race. Problem with Piastri promoting his position in the race is TWO Ferraris. They should be able to tactically keep him off the podium but the McLaren tyre window appears to be the largest.
Yes, I fully expect the team to go conservative with M-H on both cars. But as I said, I would go alternate with Piastri as I think there is a high risk of safety cars tomorrow.

Gillian
Gillian

Emag wrote:
18 May 2024, 22:46
geogate wrote:
I am waiting for the race tomorrow, but honestly this is absolutely crazy what this team has gone through in the last year or so.

I remember how dire the situation looked when 2023 got going last year. It was just sad to see how far off they had fallen. Seidl was gone, Key was gone. It just didn't look good combined with the performance on track. As it turned out, both of those people leaving was a blessing in disguise. Stella wouldn't have had the chance to shine otherwise.

It was pretty much the same team of people that developed the 2023 car that also made that car go from bottom-midfield to top-3 with that Austria upgrade. Stella directing things for pure efficiency, with Peter Prodromou getting the freedom to lead the aerodynamics direction, and look what that team has done.

Important hires have joined that team now, but some fantastic, previously under-utilized people still remain there and have done a fantastic job. In my relatively short memory of following this sport, I don't recall any team doing what McLaren has done this past year or so.

To go from backmarker, to podium-contender and now to a win-contender, all unfolding in 1 year or so is just so crazy impressive, I don't think they are getting enough credit for it.
Honda 2008 to Brawn GP 2009 comes to my mind, but that was slightly different due to the rule changes.

It really is impressive to see and good for the sport as well. Mclaren has the fastest car for now. We'll have to see if it stays that way, but if so I can see a WCC this year happening. Norris + Piastri is a very good match because they're close but not too close.

Macklaren
Macklaren

too late for WCC this year I think. But we have a good shot at jumping Ferrari for P2. At least RBR wont win WCC in Singapore or Qatar or something.

The team should prioritize starting the season strong in 2025. We cant afford to sacrifice the initial flyaway races like this if we are to be in contention for WCC

SmallSoldier
SmallSoldier

FittingMechanics wrote:
I would be surprised if Piastri started with the Hards… That would make the run to turn 1 and the first lap in general very tricky, he could easily lose positions while the Hards get up to speed / temperature… In a track where overtaking is considered very difficult, losing positions early on the lap could be the worst case scenario