2024 Mclaren Formula 1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
FittingMechanics
FittingMechanics

Re: 2024 Mclaren Formula 1 Team

mwillems wrote:
19 May 2024, 10:40
FittingMechanics wrote:
19 May 2024, 10:25
mwillems wrote:
19 May 2024, 10:08
Yeah I think starting on Hards is like asking to get mugged at lights out and the further back we are the less chance we get to use the cars inherent pace meaning that going long won't be that advantageous.

To put it another way, we have the speed to make our own luck now.
The idea behind Hards is to gamble on going long and get the big reward (P1 if you are lucky). We have Norris in P2 to go conventional. I don't think getting P4 or P3 compared to P5 is that big of a deal.

Let's wait and see who will try that.
Personally I'm not sure there's really a need to take risks. We have the pace to take that reward right out of anyone's hands with a safe strategy I think, as long as we don't throw it away at the pits or have bad starts.
That is why you go conventional with Norris.

CjC
CjC

Tomsky wrote:
19 May 2024, 11:08
CjC wrote:
19 May 2024, 11:04
Tomsky wrote:
19 May 2024, 11:01
Wow if that advantage at the end of the lap plays out in the race then Lando will just overtake him.
Max made a mistake on the way to the starting line.
He did but I was commenting on the corners before that as well, he gains on Max at the end of the lap which then would lead onto the only overtaking point on the track.
Just a fan's point of view

CjC
CjC

Vanja #66 wrote:
19 May 2024, 11:27
CjC wrote:
19 May 2024, 11:03
I’m just fearing first corner contact to be honest.
We saw in 2021 when Max is up against a formidable opposition in similar speed machinery he isn’t afraid to use the front row of the grandstands. I just hope the way he treated Hamilton back then was a degree of desperation, now he’s top dog he might allow a bit more of a margin for his competitors.
Make no bones about it, Mclaren have put him under pressure the last 2 timed events now.
Max hasn't missed a chance to force Leclerc out whenever he was next to him, earning him a penalty in Vegas. Norris needs to stand his ground and not allow to be pushed out like Hamilton pushed him in China Sprint and I hope we see Norris with elbows out, now that he's a race winner. Will be a really good race if he does
Good point
Just a fan's point of view

mwillems

I'm not taking advice from a cartoon dog

-Bandit

Silent Storm
Silent Storm

CjC wrote:
19 May 2024, 11:03
I’m just fearing first corner contact to be honest.
We saw in 2021 when Max is up against a formidable opposition in similar speed machinery he isn’t afraid to use the front row of the grandstands. I just hope the way he treated Hamilton back then was a degree of desperation, now he’s top dog he might allow a bit more of a margin for his competitors.
Make no bones about it, Mclaren have put him under pressure the last 2 timed events now.
Charles and Max had some great wheel to wheel racing in 2022, that can be repeated with Lando now.
If anything it's Lando who can make a mistake under pressure as the spotlight is on him for the first time in his career with a car that can win.... But I'm confident both will be sensible.
The cheapest sort of pride is national pride, every miserable fool who has nothing at all of which he can be proud adopts, as a last resource, pride in the nation to which he belongs; thus reimbursing himself for his own inferiority.

Darth-Piekus

Max though tends to do mistakes under pressure usually when hes against Hamilton. He also made mistakes when hes chasing on equal or close to equal cars. All Lando has to do is replicate Hamilton and make Max lose his cool. They are friends but inside the race its dog eats dog and he has to forget friendships.

mwillems

Any turn 1 against someone who competes as hard as Max is tricky, today is another chance to get some practise and if needed, lay down a marker.
I'm not taking advice from a cartoon dog

-Bandit

Darth-Piekus

In any case since the only thing we can get is 2nd place in the constructors is a big opportunity to see if Lando Norris can be championship material and see if he can do a back to back showing that Miami was not a fluke.

Gillian
Gillian

Darth-Piekus wrote:
19 May 2024, 12:24
In any case since the only thing we can get is 2nd place in the constructors is a big opportunity to see if Lando Norris can be championship material and see if he can do a back to back showing that Miami was not a fluke.
I personally have zero doubt about that. Norris is the up there with the best right now.

Im not a Mclaren fan or (any other team/driver), but I fancy their odds this year. Good luck fellas.

Silent Storm
Silent Storm

Darth-Piekus wrote:
19 May 2024, 12:02
Max though tends to do mistakes under pressure usually when hes against Hamilton. He also made mistakes when hes chasing on equal or close to equal cars. All Lando has to do is replicate Hamilton and make Max lose his cool. They are friends but inside the race its dog eats dog and he has to forget friendships.
Every driver makes mistakes, they are only human but Max is definitely not the one who cracks under pressure regularly... Never saw him do a Baku 2021 Hamilton special for example. Chances of lando messing it up are higher than Max. Anyway this is going OT.
The cheapest sort of pride is national pride, every miserable fool who has nothing at all of which he can be proud adopts, as a last resource, pride in the nation to which he belongs; thus reimbursing himself for his own inferiority.

FittingMechanics
FittingMechanics

Vanja #66 wrote:
Max hasn't missed a chance to force Leclerc out whenever he was next to him, earning him a penalty in Vegas. Norris needs to stand his ground and not allow to be pushed out like Hamilton pushed him in China Sprint and I hope we see Norris with elbows out, now that he's a race winner. Will be a really good race if he does
I think Max will play it nice with Norris. They are friends and Norris is not a threat for the championship (at the moment).

Darth-Piekus

Silent Storm wrote:
19 May 2024, 12:37
Darth-Piekus wrote:
19 May 2024, 12:02
Every driver makes mistakes, they are only human but Max is definitely not the one who cracks under pressure regularly... Never saw him do a Baku 2021 Hamilton special for example. Chances of lando messing it up are higher than Max. Anyway this is going OT.
I disagree on that. Max cracked plenty of times against Hamilton in 2021 doing let's say (for the respect of the forum) controversial maneuvers. He didn't in the last three years because he was never under pressure. I think these last two races was the most pressure he got in 3 years and in Miami he did make mistakes when chasing Lando and it's understandable as he's a human. Lando indeed has chances of messing it up as he might try to squeeze in that first corner that is why I think he should at least keep 2nd for the first lap and then attack. However if opportunity arrives at the start he must take it and start showing his material. If he manages to make back to back wins today it will be a good answer to the neighsayers regarding Miami. I believe that Lando can be a championship winner and it's up to him to prove that beating a hard obstacle that is Max.

Hopefully as Fitting said both will play nice between each other.

Cs98
Cs98

FittingMechanics wrote:
19 May 2024, 12:41
Vanja #66 wrote:
I think Max will play it nice with Norris. They are friends and Norris is not a threat for the championship (at the moment).
Sorry what? :lol: We are not even a quarter way through the season and as of Miami the McLaren looks like the fastest car in F1. 50 points is nothing with 18 races to go if the tide is turning in terms of performance.

Dafnalina
Dafnalina

I don't think Max will care at all if he's friends with Lando or whoever. I just hope Lando is lucky with the start and doesn't get in trouble. P2 is cursed here, I literally can't remember the last time P2 finished P2 or P1 here. They always lose positions.

Wouldn't surprise me if Ferrari starts on softs.

Emag
Emag

mwillems wrote:
19 May 2024, 10:42
Emag wrote:
19 May 2024, 10:30
To be honest I think Lando's gonna get pipped at the start regardless of what tire he starts on. It's a very bad grid position to be in and Charles seemed a bit mad yesterday. If he gets even slightly alongside, he is gonna push Lando wide since P3 got the inside line here going into T1.

I am just hoping he doesn't lose out to both Ferraris if that happens.
Has there only been one dry GP since Imola came back onto the the calendar? Hamilton got mugged in the GP but in the wet it is pole who has struggled more. I hope you're not right!
Yeah, in 2020 P3 went up into P1. Even if we discount wet sessions (since it doesnt apply today), P2 is still an objectively worse grid slot than P3.