2024 Mclaren Formula 1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
Yuven
Yuven

Re: 2024 Mclaren Formula 1 Team

Darth-Piekus wrote:
19 May 2024, 18:21
Monaco could be a good chance for a win if we manage to tune up the upgrade a little more and bring a White and Red Livery. Though I wonder why didn't we do that on Imola instead of Monaco?
Monaco offers a promising win opportunity if we fine-tune the upgrade and introduce the White and Red livery. It's curious why this wasn't considered for Imola, given its significance.

the EDGE
the EDGE

chrisgr wrote:
19 May 2024, 18:20
Monaco is a race of its own category. Leclerc is always very good there. All I want for Monaco is a red and white livery!!
He’s only ever finished the race once, and it wasn’t on the podium

mwillems

taperoo2k wrote:
19 May 2024, 17:31
mwillems wrote:
19 May 2024, 17:08
Red Bull is the benchmark. We've gained a lot of ground but we aren't quite there yet. A better Saturday and it might have been a different story.

We are on a par with them though I think.
McLaren are within touching distance from Redbull as things stand.

Monaco is won and lost in qualifying or mistakes in the race. Or rain makes it interesting.
We look to be equal overall with Red Bull. It will come.

Over the next few races the competitive picture will begin to sharpen up.

Monaco will see the team benefit like China and Miami, with a very focused setup which releases the car from some of its weak points.
I'm not taking advice from a cartoon dog

-Bandit

mwillems

the EDGE wrote:
19 May 2024, 18:31
chrisgr wrote:
Monaco is a race of its own category. Leclerc is always very good there. All I want for Monaco is a red and white livery!!
God loves a tryer 🤣🤣🤣

-Bandit

Darth-Piekus

mwillems wrote:
19 May 2024, 18:32
taperoo2k wrote:
19 May 2024, 17:31
mwillems wrote:
19 May 2024, 17:08

We look to be equal overall with Red Bull. It will come.

Over the next few races the competitive picture will begin to sharpen up.

Monaco will see the team benefit like China and Miami, with a very focused setup which releases the car from some of its weak points.
In Monaco we must give our set up straight into qualifying as a pole equals to a victory.

LionsHeart
LionsHeart

It's interesting how people change their minds about McLaren's pace as the race progresses. :D It's no surprise that McLaren performs worse with softer sets of tires and well with harder ones. I’m very happy for the team; today we scored 30 points.

In general, I expected that Lando would lose medium on the tires, but I didn’t expect that he would add in the end of the race. It was nice. Yes, it seemed that Ferrari had better preserved Hard tires and that Norris would begin to lose ground, fortunately, the service life of the tires was very large.

The team implemented the strategy and timing of the pit entry well. Oscar managed to win back one position, which can be considered good at Imola. Perhaps Max attacked very strongly at the beginning of the segment on Hard tires. Horner said the tires were losing temperature and that was affecting the traction on the asphalt. That is, now we can draw the first conclusions that Red Bull is still working more carefully with tires and does not overheat them.

Lando, in turn, suffered a little on the Medium, but did not experience problems with the Hard tires. I think when he said on the radio that he had no pace, it was just an eye-catcher to confuse Ferrari's strategists. At the same moment, both Ferraris increased their pace and killed their tires. Has McLaren really learned to play mentally against Ferrari? In Australia and Japan, Ferrari were stronger in this component and were able to outwit McLaren.

I’m very happy for the team, happy for Lando and Oscar. Strong race, high pace, low degradation of Hard C3 tires.

chrisgr
chrisgr

the EDGE wrote:
chrisgr wrote:

my bad. So I have connected his name to Monaco for his mechanical failures and DNFs (and DNS!) #-o

bananapeel23

the EDGE wrote:
chrisgr wrote:
Because his brakes failing, his team forgetting to replace his left driveshaft after a crash and his team completely screwing up his strategy is totally on him.

Monaco is all about qualifying and the team not screwing up the strategy. Leclerc qualified incredibly well in Monaco in 2021 and 2022, and put in a great qualifying performance in 2023 as well. The only year his Monaco failures can be blamed on him is 2019. He is aboslutely amazing at Monaco, which is no surprise really, given his reputation for being probably the best qualifier in F1 right now.

Cs98
Cs98

bananapeel23 wrote:
19 May 2024, 19:52
the EDGE wrote:
chrisgr wrote:
Because his brakes failing, his team forgetting to replace his left driveshaft after a crash and his team completely screwing up his strategy is totally on him.

Monaco is all about qualifying and the team not screwing up the strategy. Leclerc qualified incredibly well in Monaco in 2021 and 2022, and put in a great qualifying performance in 2023 as well. The only year his Monaco failures can be blamed on him is 2019. He is aboslutely amazing at Monaco, which is no surprise really, given his reputation for being probably the best qualifier in F1 right now.
And remind us again why he had a driveshaft failure in 2021? Clue, it is also the reason no one got to finish their second run in Q3.

bauc

We were so so close at the end, but I guess a too little too late scenario for us today. Nevertheless, we showed that our car has greatly improved, and if we are able to find 0.2 per lap in race trim compared to RBR we will be a regular contender for a win.

Lets GO BOYSS!!!!
Формула 1 на Македонски - The first ever Macedonian Formula 1 YouTube channel
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCJkjCv ... 6rVRgKASwg

Slahinki
Slahinki

Cs98 wrote:
19 May 2024, 20:08
bananapeel23 wrote:
19 May 2024, 19:52
the EDGE wrote:

And remind us again why he had a driveshaft failure in 2021? Clue, it is also the reason no one got to finish their second run in Q3.
Nonono, the drive shaft failed spontaneously of it's own volition, definitely not because Leclerc himself rammed it into a wall!

mwillems

It really gives Red Bull something to think about. They were focussing on developing the '25 car early and like last year, would not do too much work on the current year car. All so they can focus on the '26 regs for most of next year. But this is going to force a rethink about where to spend time and money because I'm sure they'd have liked to have been getting easy wins and pulling big gap before we started to push them like we are this past 2 weeks. That luxury appears to have gone.

-Bandit

Darth-Piekus

It's a pity though for not winning. I've seen the comments on some channels and they greatly underestimating what Lando did today as they underestimated his win at Miami. In Miami it was the SC and a possible damage on Max and here it was because Max saving tyre. Would it be too hard to give credit where credit is due?
Last edited by Darth-Piekus on 19 May 2024, 20:52, edited 1 time in total.

FittingMechanics
FittingMechanics

mwillems wrote:
19 May 2024, 20:38
It really gives Red Bull something to think about. They were focussing on developing the '25 car early and like last year, would not do too much work on the current year car. All so they can focus on the '26 regs for most of next year. But this is going to force a rethink about where to spend time and money because I'm sure they'd have liked to have been getting easy wins and pulling big gap before we started to push them like we are this past 2 weeks. That luxury appears to have gone.
Exactly. This was 7th race - so the gap Max pulled is not that huge.
Darth-Piekus wrote:
19 May 2024, 20:49
It's a pity though. I've seen the comments on some channels and they greatly underestimating what Lando did today. Comments like Max was saving tyre and other things.
Those people are fools - ignore them. Max was doing everything in his power to stay ahead.

Luscion
Luscion

Darth-Piekus wrote:
19 May 2024, 20:49
t's a pity though. I've seen the comments on some channels and they greatly underestimating what Lando did today.
Well those comments are wrong imo, Max himself said he was pushing the entire race in his interview right after the race before the podium celebration
Last edited by Luscion on 19 May 2024, 20:53, edited 1 time in total.