Mercedes W15

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
Owen.C93
Owen.C93

Re: Mercedes W15

Vanja #66 wrote:
17 May 2024, 21:36
atanatizante wrote:
17 May 2024, 16:02
https://postimg.cc/1nCbr6V8

Maybe it`s me or the angle picture view but from my point of view there are some (minor) reshaping to the sidepods here at Imola:

1. The undercut is slightly bigger with a more pronounced curvature near the M letter
2. There is a slighter bigger and sloper shape of the lower sidepode near the floor. Thus the new airflow should work in conjunction with the new vortex flow coming out of the new floor edge fences.
3. The rear part of the sidepod near the Coke bottle area seems to have a downslope shape based on the trajectory of the purple sticker.

The official team statement for Imola regarding updates says these local updates aim: "to improve the quality of the flow towards the rear of the floor, diffuser, and the rear load throughout the ride height range". So it seems that their inconsistent aka spikier downforce levels were mainly due to their laking of vortex sealing the edges of the floor at various ride heights hence why they are saying that the car`s performance is changing from one corner to another ...
Very decent analysis, I agree with most of it. :) Your conclusion is quite possible, but not the only explanation. I believe their launch sidepods weren't generating enough outwash alone and team wanted to use front wing mid span Y250-like vortex to enhance the outwash. There's evidence it failed and as they stopped relying on it (first in Japan and completely removing it in Miami) they improved the driveability.

So now with added volume to sidepods and slightly more pressurisation with an obviously updated geometry they have probably made a step in the right direction, especially with improvements to floor edge vortex!

On a side note, downvotes are completely undeserved and reported for Moderators to remove. To downvoters - if you don't agree, post a counter argument and debate. Downvote abuse is not encouraged.
If you click the vote score it shows the comments. It’s not abuse.

They haven’t changed the sidepods.
Motorsport Graduate in search of team experience ;)

Vanja #66

Owen.C93 wrote:
17 May 2024, 21:57

If you give a downvote to a clearly and accurately pointed visual evidence of a change, it's abuse. Can you post pictures to disprove the changes? Literally even the parting lines are slightly different on two sidepod designs
And they call it a stall. A STALL!

#DwarvesAreNaturalSprinters
#BlessYouLaddie

Owen.C93
Owen.C93

Vanja #66 wrote:
17 May 2024, 22:01
Owen.C93 wrote:

If you give a downvote to a clearly and accurately pointed visual evidence of a change, it's abuse. Can you post pictures to disprove the changes? Literally even the parting lines are slightly different on two sidepod designs
I didn’t downvote them. But I don’t see any difference, and they didn’t use an image from Miami after the upgrades were fitted on Friday.

Miami sidepods:
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/GMqgWnjWwAA ... name=large

I think we can trust the upgrade document where they mentioned updated fences and floor tunnel.
Motorsport Graduate in search of team experience ;)

Vanja #66

Owen.C93 wrote:
17 May 2024, 22:15
I didn’t downvote them. But I don’t see any difference, and they didn’t use an image from Miami after the upgrades were fitted on Friday.

Miami sidepods:
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/GMqgWnjWwAA ... name=large

I think we can trust the upgrade document where they mentioned updated fences and floor tunnel.
I didn't say it was you, just used a 2nd instead of 3rd person pronoun to make a point, sorry if it came out the wrong way :)

In any case, if the resource for analysis used is off (Miami photo) this can still be pointed out instead of giving an unjustified downvote. That's my point
And they call it a stall. A STALL!

#DwarvesAreNaturalSprinters
#BlessYouLaddie

Lasssept

Cs98
Cs98

Vanja #66 wrote:
17 May 2024, 22:01
Owen.C93 wrote:

Key sentence, "If you give a downvote to a clearly and accurately pointed visual evidence of a change". The suggested change is inaccurate and a simple look at the upgrade document already posted in this thread would've confirmed as much. Let's get back on topic instead of making unfounded accusations of abuse.

Just_a_fan
Just_a_fan

Vanja #66 wrote:
17 May 2024, 21:36

On a side note, downvotes are completely undeserved and reported for Moderators to remove. To downvoters - if you don't agree, post a counter argument and debate. Downvote abuse is not encouraged.
Well said. Sadly, the non-technical driver / team fans don't understand the idea of having objective discussions about drivers / cars so if someone dares to say anything other than a positive, it's a downvote/report the post. Sad really.
If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.

hollus

Focus on the car, please…
Rivals, not enemies.

Luscion
Luscion

B Sport breaking down Merc's upgrades for imola

atanatizante

Luscion wrote:
19 May 2024, 06:34

I'm so glad that both Vanja and now B sport just confirmed what I was saying about :mrgreen:
"I don`t have all the answers. Try Google!"
Jesus

PlatinumZealot

Car still sensitive to setups.
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

Racing Green in 2028

Marble
Marble

Luscion wrote:

Not very accurate that one, I found ... I don't think the floor "fences" are what he actually mentions in the video.

Luscion
Luscion

https://www.auto-motor-und-sport.de/for ... -upgrades/

The latest aerodynamic package, which was added to the car in two stages in Miami and Imola, has not only provided more downforce. It also makes it easier for the engineers to find a better balance between fast and slow corners. "We no longer want to have to decide which corners we are good at," says Wolff.

The latest experiences with the W15 raise fewer and fewer question marks. "There is now more confidence that we will find the right solutions."
Mercedes wants to show up in Monte Carlo with the next upgrade. And once again, they are anticipating part of the development package. It was actually planned for Montreal. It is a further step towards improving the balance of the car in order to give the drivers more confidence in their car. That is doubly important in Monte Carlo.

In contrast to 2023, the engineers' hands are not tied this time when it comes to development work. Last year, the aerodynamicists were partly hampered by the architecture of the car. "This time, we have chosen a more conventional platform with the chassis. There are no longer any restrictions for the Aerodynamicist."

Hoffman900
Hoffman900

Marble wrote:
20 May 2024, 09:22
Luscion wrote:

Not very accurate that one, I found ... I don't think the floor "fences" are what he actually mentions in the video.
Willem Toet has specifically called out tv commentators and motoring press about their theories on “using air to seal the floor” and said “that’s absolutely not what we do”.

He says it at the 44:00 mark here:

https://www.youtube.com/live/kixMMfEQ-F ... jF61-JcJ9R

The strakes, and have been point out many times are vortex generators for the under floor, and have been around for nearly 30 years in their current iteration in other series.

The floors also “ingest” further back, air from the edges to feed the powerful vortices as they travel most of the car’s length.

The sealed floors worked under the premonition that flow is laminar. It isn’t anywhere on an open wheel cad and it’s why they have the drag eq. of a large pickup truck (and why they need so much power to reach trap speeds cars 35 years ago were hitting, granted that drag is a byproduct of a lot more downforce now).

Formula 1 fan
Formula 1 fan

Is it known exactly what upgrades Mercedes will bring to the Monaco race?