2024 Mclaren Formula 1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
Sidewinder
Sidewinder

Re: 2024 Mclaren Formula 1 Team

SmallSoldier wrote:
28 May 2024, 16:38
Vanja #66 wrote:
28 May 2024, 10:37
mwillems wrote:
28 May 2024, 09:57
I don't think it was as serious as some make out and the fact that Albon got through is important because it relates directly to the amount he was blocked, which obviously wasn't that much
Worth noting, incident happened 4 minutes into the session and Albon later dropped his time by over 1s over 4-5 laps. Piastri/Mag happened 16 minutes into the session and was Mags final attempt. The severity of consequences between the two events is incomparable.
Vanja, you know well that penalties aren’t applied based on outcome, it’s the action that is penalized not the outcome of such action.
You know full well that penalties are applied based on outcome despite the stewards pretending they aren't. All you have to look at is Piastri-Sainz in Miami.

Cs98
Cs98

Emag wrote:
28 May 2024, 11:08
Vanja #66 wrote:
mwillems wrote:
28 May 2024, 09:57
I don't think it was as serious as some make out and the fact that Albon got through is important because it relates directly to the amount he was blocked, which obviously wasn't that much
Worth noting, incident happened 4 minutes into the session and Albon later dropped his time by over 1s over 4-5 laps. Piastri/Mag happened 16 minutes into the session and was Mags final attempt. The severity of consequences between the two events is incomparable.
Yes but you dont punish based on consequences, you punish based on actions.

If I shoot someone, but they survive, does that mean that I dont get to go to prison?
Of course you punish based on actions AND consequences, we do it all the time. Consider the example of drinking and driving, getting home without incident vs accidentally running someone over. No difference in intent, but a different outcome, and thus a different punishment.

Or to bring it back to F1. Consider the example of Spa 2012. Grosjean got banned for a race for that incident. When you actually look at what he did it was fairly minor, the kind of incident we see all the time punished with a minor penalty, but it was the domino effect and ultimate consequence of the mistake that led to a ban.

mwillems

Cs98 wrote:
29 May 2024, 12:21
Emag wrote:
28 May 2024, 11:08
Vanja #66 wrote:

Yes but you dont punish based on consequences, you punish based on actions.

If I shoot someone, but they survive, does that mean that I dont get to go to prison?
Of course you punish based on actions AND consequences, we do it all the time. Consider the example of drinking and driving, getting home without incident vs accidentally running someone over. No difference in intent, but a different outcome, and thus a different punishment.

Or to bring it back to F1. Consider the example of Spa 2012. Grosjean got banned for a race for that incident. When you actually look at what he did it was fairly minor, the kind of incident we see all the time punished with a minor penalty, but it was the domino effect and ultimate consequence of the mistake that led to a ban.
In F1 they specifically talk about the application of the rules as being based on the action and not the consequence.

In this instance though it isn't quite as cut and dry because the extent of the action (blocking), is directly expressed in the laptime and was about .15s, according to Albon himself. In fact I think the fact that Albon defended Sainz is probably what swung it.

However, whilst I get it was a minor block in the end, and a blind corner approached at high speed etc a block is a block in my view hence a penalty should have been applied. Position on the track is not an excuse, he is in control of that and should know where to place his car. Neither driver was in a zone that GPS wasn't working and the team could have made sure he wasn't in that place when Albon approached.

But in any case, I want to win on track, not by trying to get other teams penalised which whilst valid just isn't very "Mclaren" in my view. Anyway, it's trivial to be honest and we get away with things too.
I'm not taking advice from a cartoon dog

-Bandit

MrGapes

The biggest factor going into this next race weekend is the track resurfacing, afaik it seems to be a complete track resurface; thus, the ride should be way smoother compared to the last few years… Without the resurfacing this was probably going to be all Ferrari weekend.. but this could also means RB return to form. With no other prior racing series, the circuit should be quite low grip initially and will see heavy evolution throughout the weekend, this will be emphasized particularly with low temp conditions, which should play into our hands.

mclaren111

pazazamadaz wrote:
28 May 2024, 20:03
Like they say, FIA stands for Fararri International Assistance.

:mrgreen: 8) 8) :mrgreen:

mclaren111

MrGapes wrote:
30 May 2024, 13:05
The biggest factor going into this next race weekend is the track resurfacing, afaik it seems to be a complete track resurface; thus, the ride should be way smoother compared to the last few years… Without the resurfacing this was probably going to be all Ferrari weekend.. but this could also means RB return to form. With no other prior racing series, the circuit should be quite low grip initially and will see heavy evolution throughout the weekend, this will be emphasized particularly with low temp conditions, which should play into our hands.

Riding the curbs well are important here... McLaren & Ferrari are better than RBR...

I think we'll do well...

Emag
Emag

mclaren111 wrote:
30 May 2024, 14:07
MrGapes wrote:

Riding the curbs well are important here... McLaren & Ferrari are better than RBR...

I think we'll do well...
Ferrari is better on traction zones though. They could be very strong here again. Wouldn't be surprised with another Ferrari win if Max doesn't get dialed in properly again.

LionsHeart
LionsHeart

Regarding the sometimes boring races. Maybe it would be worthwhile to stipulate in the sports regulations that all drivers use all types of Soft, Medium and Hard tire compounds in the race? In this case, there will always be two pit stops and perhaps the fight between mechanics at pit stops will be more obvious. Also, someone will decide to go with Hard, and someone will choose Soft. Some may be a little faster in the initial phase, others at the end of the race.

LionsHeart
LionsHeart

MrGapes wrote:
Yes, interesting. But as already written above, Montreal has very high curbs and remembering the McLaren onboard, I remember how soft the front suspension was there. This is convenient when attacking curbs. Otherwise, I’m not going to predict anything. Cars have become close to each other, and even the smallest factor can become key.

kentonspr
kentonspr

Sidewinder wrote:
29 May 2024, 10:45
SmallSoldier wrote:
28 May 2024, 16:38
Vanja #66 wrote:

Vanja, you know well that penalties aren’t applied based on outcome, it’s the action that is penalized not the outcome of such action.
You know full well that penalties are applied based on outcome despite the stewards pretending they aren't. All you have to look at is Piastri-Sainz in Miami.
Bad example. If Sainz hadn't caused a collision there is nothing to be penalized for. Are you saying you want the rules to penalize oversteer/understeer?

diffuser

LionsHeart wrote:
30 May 2024, 15:27
Regarding the sometimes boring races. Maybe it would be worthwhile to stipulate in the sports regulations that all drivers use all types of Soft, Medium and Hard tire compounds in the race? In this case, there will always be two pit stops and perhaps the fight between mechanics at pit stops will be more obvious. Also, someone will decide to go with Hard, and someone will choose Soft. Some may be a little faster in the initial phase, others at the end of the race.
You referring to teams changing tires under the blood red flag at Monaco ? You could allow teams to be able to change the tires but not count it towards using both tires unless the tires are changed under non red flag conditions.

The real issue at Monaco is there is no low risk place to pass. I've said it before, it's not a race it's procession. Maybe the 2026 cars will help, being narrower, thinner and lighter.

dia6olo
dia6olo

diffuser wrote:
30 May 2024, 19:58
LionsHeart wrote:
30 May 2024, 15:27
You referring to teams changing tires under the blood red flag at Monaco ? You could allow teams to be able to change the tires but not count it towards using both tires unless the tires are changed under non red flag conditions.

The real issue at Monaco is there is no low risk place to pass. I've said it before, it's not a race it's procession. Maybe the 2026 cars will help, being narrower, thinner and lighter.
I actually think that's something they could and should implement for all safety events, be it a red flag, full safety car or virtual safety car so as to eliminate cheap pit stops.
From time to time races have been won because of safety cars and cheap pit stops, I understand the entertainment value around it which I think is pretty much why the rules allow it but it has distorted race events and that has never sat well with me.
Last edited by dia6olo on 30 May 2024, 22:23, edited 2 times in total.

taperoo2k
taperoo2k

MrGapes wrote:
McLaren should do well in Canada. I think the question mark for RB is if they have a fundamental problem that has been exposed by McLaren's rapid development rate. Ferrari should be in the mix as well.

BMMR61

I have no appetite for diagnosing what to do about F1 at Monaco because there is a new complacency in F1 since Netflix success. "Why make changes when we're all filling our bank account for the first time ever? We don't need 11 or 12 teams now and we can do (and say!) what we like, seems to be the attitude. Of the leading teams McLaren management seem to have the most reasonable attitude - Toto and Christian in particular, have demonstrated their arrogance and their teams are heading for a fall, demonstrated by Mercedes' current plight. I said here some months ago, in the face of the pessimism about the WDC and WCC, that when the changing of the guard happens it happens surprisingly quickly. This was in reference to confidence in the upcoming McLaren updates, but also that empires rise and they fall. We seem to be in such a time of decline of the giants who have dominated the last 10 years or more.

LionsHeart
LionsHeart

BMMR61 wrote:
31 May 2024, 12:51
LionsHeart wrote:
31 May 2024, 08:29
FittingMechanics wrote:
31 May 2024, 08:07
Problem in Monaco is tires were too durable. Even medium could finish the full race without fallout.

They either need to make two softer tires or maybe mandate one of compounds used. For example if they could have made a soft mandatory, maybe it wouldn't last the race.

About Canada, I am once again optimistic. I think the car is good and drivers are great.
The problem with extremely soft tires is that they wear out quickly. It seems like you have to do a lot of pit stops, but you also have to take care of the tires. Qatar 2023 was good because all teams knew that each line-up could not complete more than 16-18 laps. This made it possible to drive in attack mode all the laps from start to finish, and after the race the drivers could barely get out of the cockpit. This is what I call racing. It seems like there are no refueling stations, but drivers are attacking because the tires allow them to attack. You can bring the same lineups to Monaco, but force the teams to make more pitstops, and then everyone will attack.

It was interesting to listen to the radio between Lando and Will. Will asks how is the pace, how are the tires? And Lando replies that his pace is simply limited by Sainz, who is in no hurry. Everyone's actual pace could have been higher if they had had another pit stop, since they wouldn't have had to save tires.
It wasn't even that. Leclerc was given a delta that was continually adjusted to prevent a pitstop window developing between Russell and Norris so that the Ferraris wouldn't have to deal with the possible threat of a McLaren coming up with a quicker tyre. It was an EXTREMELY conservative tactic with an EXTREMELY slow delta as there was almost zero chance the medium would have sufficient advantage over even a well used hard to enable an overtake. Unfortunately there is a limited amount we fans can deduce from race pace as it wasn't in the truest sense, anywhere near race pace. Even the rapid spurt of speed by Charles at the end didn't release the others. Oscar's loss of DF from the damaged floor wrecked his tyres and his ability to keep up. It was great to see Oscar's tremendous pace on lap 1 of the restart through the tunnel where he actually got a sniff of a squeeze on Charles at the chicane. Alas.
I've already written about this in previous posts regarding your first part of the sentence. This was very smart tactically on the part of the Ferrari command bridge, but the race itself turned out to be boring because of it. The four leaders could easily go 2-3 seconds faster. Would there be enough tires until the end of the race? That's another question. I usually defend the race in Monaco, but in this case I have never seen a more dull race. Well, maybe Spa 2021.