2024 Mercedes-AMG | Petronas F1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
Cs98
Cs98

Re: 2024 Mercedes-AMG | Petronas F1 Team

So George tells that Lewis essentially offered him the wing in favour of a coin toss because he didn't want the risk of a pit lane start in case of damage. Normally you'd give the wing to the guy ahead in the WDC, Russell in this case, but Merc is going out of their way to be fair to Lewis by offering the coin toss. Lewis giving up the wing after testing it on the sim says a lot. Either the wing wasn't that significant at Monaco, or Lewis is simply not confident to not crash without a spare, or a bit of both. Regardless it's not a great reflection on his confidence to be that passive, and it gives him a convenient excuse which he elected to use despite willingly giving the wing up.

Mosin123
Mosin123

Cs98 wrote:
29 May 2024, 11:54
So George tells that Lewis essentially offered him the wing in favour of a coin toss because he didn't want the risk of a pit lane start in case of damage. Normally you'd give the wing to the guy ahead in the WDC, Russell in this case, but Merc is going out of their way to be fair to Lewis by offering the coin toss. Lewis giving up the wing after testing it on the sim says a lot. Either the wing wasn't that significant at Monaco, or Lewis is simply not confident to not crash without a spare, or a bit of both. Regardless it's not a great reflection on his confidence to be that passive, and it gives him a convenient excuse which he elected to use despite willingly giving the wing up.
Well GR was delighted to have got it for Monaco, so i guess it depends on what picture / narrative you want to paint.

Think its just more likely he doesnt care and is looking forward to the end of the season so he can hop in that Ferrari

Formula 1 fan
Formula 1 fan

Is it possible that Mercedes will be fastest car in straightline speed in Canada?

Cs98
Cs98

Mosin123 wrote:
29 May 2024, 12:34
Cs98 wrote:
Well GR was delighted to have got it for Monaco, so i guess it depends on what picture / narrative you want to paint.

Think its just more likely he doesnt care and is looking forward to the end of the season so he can hop in that Ferrari
I guess for Lewis the relevant narrative is that he willingly gave it up, and then still used that as an excuse after the weekend. That's disingenuous. He provides us with an excuse every time Russell beats him, that's not the sign of someone who doesn't care. Losing to George would mean getting beaten by him over their joint tenure at Merc, which besides being relevant in and of itself wouldn't bode well for an even tougher teammate at Ferrari.

SiLo

Formula 1 fan wrote:
29 May 2024, 12:42
Is it possible that Mercedes will be fastest car in straightline speed in Canada?
Without DRS? Maybe.
Felipe Baby!

Hammerfist
Hammerfist

Cs98 wrote:
29 May 2024, 13:06
Mosin123 wrote:
29 May 2024, 12:34
Cs98 wrote:

I guess for Lewis the relevant narrative is that he willingly gave it up, and then still used that as an excuse after the weekend. That's disingenuous. He provides us with an excuse every time Russell beats him, that's not the sign of someone who doesn't care. Losing to George would mean getting beaten by him over their joint tenure at Merc, which besides being relevant in and of itself wouldn't bode well for an even tougher teammate at Ferrari.
Either way the bs has to stop next year. Leclerc will end his career and rep in 25 if he keeps those excuses going. Anyway, what happened this weekend reminds me of twitter gate 2012.

PlatinumZealot

Chuckjr wrote:
29 May 2024, 01:47
It won’t be smooth like you are assuming as F1 is his main platform for his life motivations. I think Charles and Lewis will become like Lewis and Nico were, or Alonso in 2007. I don’t know why people think Lewis will be ok finishing second to his teammate on such a huge stage as Ferrari with all the expectations he now brings. Maybe I’m wrong but I just don’t see Lewis playing nice if they are at the sharp end. I’ve watched the guy his entire F1 career and I’ve never seen it go well when he loses to his team mate in a competitive car. It’s not just being competitive, it’s personal with Lewis. He doesn’t seem to be able to stay reasonable and level headed and at arms length when he is challenged, and Charles will bring more challenge than Lewis has faced since he left Macca, and he’s old and well past his prime. Ferrari is the biggest stage in racing and I think this will raise everything up a notch. If he’s ok just packing in a win here and there and watching his team mate beat him for championships, he’s not the Lewis I’ve watched for almost 2 decades now. That’s why I don’t think it will go well.
Not sure what your sample size is. He was mature enough and level headed enough in 2007. No melt-downs, or schemes against Alonso, no crazy lunges or squeezing over the lines. In 2011 his annus horriblis, it was all to do with a number of factors, Nicole Sherzinger pressuring for marriage and kids, the death of a friend, and Sebastian flying away in his rocket and yet there were not any melt-down on any grand scale. It's actually Button was was scheming and barrelling his teammate off track. In 2016 the next competitive year with Nico. Again, Lewis was not the aggressive one. I can't think of any other years where a teammate is pushing Lewis to any limits though. Not even 2022 and 2024. Lewis is clearly not working to any real level of intensity against George.
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

Racing Green in 2028

PlatinumZealot

Luscion wrote:
29 May 2024, 07:19
Jurgen von Diaz wrote:
29 May 2024, 06:06
Lewis decided he did not want the new wing. When losing to Russell, he pointed to Russell's new wing. Classic Lewis.

https://x.com/ThisIsFormu1a1/status/179 ... ONTpw&s=19
Him denying the upgrade because he didnt want to damage it doesnt mean it didnt provide a benefit to Russell, which Shovlin said it did. how much of a benefit? we dont know, maybe they'll cover it in their debrief video today.
George said it was a "birthday gift" so must have been a decent chunk of speed.
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

Racing Green in 2028

Rootsap
Rootsap

Jurgen von Diaz wrote:
29 May 2024, 07:44
Luscion wrote:
Jurgen von Diaz wrote:
29 May 2024, 06:06
Lewis decided he did not want the new wing. When losing to Russell, he pointed to Russell's new wing. Classic Lewis.

https://x.com/ThisIsFormu1a1/status/179 ... ONTpw&s=19
Him denying the upgrade because he didnt want to damage it doesnt mean it didnt provide a benefit to Russell, which Shovlin said it did. how much of a benefit? we dont know, maybe they'll cover it in their debrief video today.
Well Lewis himself "knew" that the new front wing made maybe 2 tenths.
According to Formula1.com, the new wing wouldn't bring a significant improvement in laptime around Monaco, other circuits with a bigger variety in high / low speed corners should give a significant laptime improvement.

https://www.formula1.com/en/latest/arti ... tk1T1CWswq

Jurgen von Diaz

Rootsap wrote:
Jurgen von Diaz wrote:
29 May 2024, 07:44
Luscion wrote:
Well Lewis himself "knew" that the new front wing made maybe 2 tenths.
According to Formula1.com, the new wing wouldn't bring a significant improvement in laptime around Monaco, other circuits with a bigger variety in high / low speed corners should give a significant laptime improvement.

https://www.formula1.com/en/latest/arti ... tk1T1CWswq
It doesn't matter what the new wing really brings but Lewis threw excuse after quali about the 2 tenths

https://x.com/Formula_Nerds/status/1794 ... ICnYA&s=19

DGP123
DGP123

Change the record

hollus

Just a reminder, you did not come to F1T for the driver ying-yang.
I’d dare to say that you came to F1T precisely because of the “minimum talking”, in driver ying-yang, that is.
So keep it clean, there are more important things than reading into Hamilton’s mind.

Tech, please.
Rivals, not enemies.

Luscion
Luscion

Toto also confirming upgrades for Canada and Spain

https://www.silverarrows.net/news/toto- ... ll-arrive/

ringo

Cs98 wrote:
Or he has checked out of the team, and is willing to let Russel carry the torch. That's the sense I get with Lewis.
He is not fighting for preference.
Even his response with KMag's wild driving in Miami shows Lewis is on vacation in Mercedes. He is quite chill. I can see him giving away the wing. He has nothing to prove, and also Lewis is smarter than people think. He knows how to play politics. What are the repercussions if he gets the wing? 1. Russel gets resentful, thinking it unfair the guy who turned his back is being favored, 2. Russel can now have the excuses that Lewis had the wing. 3. If Russel still beats Lewis, he can say he beat Lewis with a 0.2 second disadvantage...
Lewis did the right thing for his own reputation. Give George all the advantage. This lowers expectations and keeps the team happy. Remember he also jumped out of the way in Suzuka for Goerge. He is doing everything to avoid looking like an attention hog and taking away Russel's moment to lead. He is passing the baton now, but in a subtle way.
Here George, you are the captain now! I am but a shadow at dawn! Alonso and Lewis are political animals. Make no mistake with these older drivers. Likewise Hulkenberg. That's how he stole the Audi seat.
For Sure!!

ringo

Formula 1 fan wrote:
29 May 2024, 12:42
I feel this will happen. Imola and Monaco are signs. I saw an image with Lap mini sector dominance. I think Charles, Lando and Russel was on it. The straight sections in Monaco were all Russel. Keeping in mind he had his clean air, and Charles was backing up the pack, so I wont get carried away. But it's a good sign.
George did also say the team over compensated for weaknesses of W14. A weakness was top speed. The W15 upgrade may be showing the resolution of that weakness.
For Sure!!