2024 Aston Martin | Aramco F1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
diffuser

Re: 2024 Aston Martin | Aramco F1 Team

Nikosar wrote:
31 May 2024, 21:20
Vasseur: "Ferrari “very satisfied” even without Newey, what is important to me is the stability of the group rather than that of the individual.” most likely will prevent CARDILE from leaving the team

Dan Fallows: “I think it’ll be interesting to see what he does now" is he calling Newey ?

Alonso: "Aston will fix F1 troubles quicker due to Lawrence Stroll" He is calling Lawrence to step in quickly seen the performances :

https://www.the-race.com/content/images ... -teams.jpg
You can't force anybody to stay. They have to want to stay. You can only have 3 people off the books. So if Ferrari already have their 3 and AMR don't, then they can use money to lure him. Otherwise, he has to want to come for other reasons.

Vanja #66

Why chase Cardille if Newey is coming?
And they call it a stall. A STALL!

#DwarvesAreNaturalSprinters
#BlessYouLaddie

-wkst-
-wkst-

There are too many names circulating. AMR must be in real troubles and Stroll lost all patience.

KimiRai
KimiRai

-wkst- wrote:
31 May 2024, 23:20
There are too many names circulating. AMR must be in real troubles and Stroll lost all patience.
Yes, those are my thoughts as well.

Vanja #66 wrote:
31 May 2024, 22:16
Good point

Sherrinford
Sherrinford

KimiRai wrote:
31 May 2024, 23:30
-wkst- wrote:
Yes, those are my thoughts as well.

Vanja #66 wrote:
31 May 2024, 22:16
Good point
They could take Newey and Aston Martin Cardile, I wouldn't see it in a positive way (despite Cardile's skill)

zoroastar

ringo wrote:
28 May 2024, 01:50
Mansell89 wrote:
27 May 2024, 23:41
Where on Earth does this narrative that Alonso is now showing his age each race come from?

So we just forget the what, 30 race weekend where Alonso has dominated and because Aston are having some tough times with upgrades we just all happily write off Alonso as a has been?

Guy is WDC material and I’ve no doubt would blitz Perez at Red Bull, could go toe to toe with either driver at Ferrari and same at Mercedes.

The only thing necessary here is for Aston to get their development pipeline on track.
30 race weekends = 60 weeks = A one year Older Alonso. He is getting older. That's inevitable.
He probably has in hair plugs, beard hair dye, and prescription contact lenses to hide his aging process to please the sponsors and fans who think his abilities are eternal. There has to be a cross over point where the skills wane.
none of that matters unless alonso himself loses the motivation to win. he could be bald with goggles, driving the same speed as when he was 30 if hes still motivated. the reason schumaker dropped off was he missed spending time with his family (and he already had 7 WDC's), and kimi lost his edge sometime in his late 20s for who knows what reason. neither had anything to do with their physical ability because of age. yeah, he could get sick of it all if aston drops to the bottom of the grid, but id be willing to bet you that he will be there in 26 for the new regs

zoroastar

diffuser wrote:
28 May 2024, 15:22
Turning back to the race. They should create a rule that, under red flag conditions, allow cars to replace tires but not count it towards being a 2nd type of tire required to finish the race. It would have forced a pit stop by all the teams. Bet alot of teams that had started on hards would have stayed on hards, preventing a possible safety issue with teams running so long on 1 compound. Basically forcing teams to make pitstops during a race. Or only make it count if there is a minimum number of laps run on previous set of tires.
as long as we are making new rules, they should create a small, light, and fast, spec car for all sprint races and monaco. if they are trying to improve the spectacle that would do it haha

ringo

zoroastar wrote:
01 Jun 2024, 01:20
ringo wrote:
Mansell89 wrote:
Where on Earth does this narrative that Alonso is now showing his age each race come from?

So we just forget the what, 30 race weekend where Alonso has dominated and because Aston are having some tough times with upgrades we just all happily write off Alonso as a has been?

Guy is WDC material and I’ve no doubt would blitz Perez at Red Bull, could go toe to toe with either driver at Ferrari and same at Mercedes.

The only thing necessary here is for Aston to get their development pipeline on track.
30 race weekends = 60 weeks = A one year Older Alonso. He is getting older. That's inevitable.
He probably has in hair plugs, beard hair dye, and prescription contact lenses to hide his aging process to please the sponsors and fans who think his abilities are eternal. There has to be a cross over point where the skills wane.
none of that matters unless alonso himself loses the motivation to win. he could be bald with goggles, driving the same speed as when he was 30 if hes still motivated. the reason schumaker dropped off was he missed spending time with his family (and he already had 7 WDC's), and kimi lost his edge sometime in his late 20s for who knows what reason. neither had anything to do with their physical ability because of age. yeah, he could get sick of it all if aston drops to the bottom of the grid, but id be willing to bet you that he will be there in 26 for the new regs
He will be there if the car doesn't fall outside of Q3 level performance in 2024 and 2025.
2026 has promise in so far has the Honda engine, energy recovery and aston inhouse gearbox. But i think the team would have to do a lot of convincing about 2026 in terms of numbers if 2024 and 2025 are solid midfeild years.
It's rumoured Stroll is trying to recruit Cardille from Ferrari and some other key figures across the sport. The willingness and resources are there in the team, but it all seems rushed. They aren't really allowing themselves time ferment the culture of clicking together and producing high performance results like McLaren has done. Stroll's just throwing money at the problems.
I felt this year's Aston looked respectable. A car with a stable rear end. But things just fell away. All of sudden it was unpredictable when new parts went on first in Suzuka.
For Sure!!

SealTheRealDeal
SealTheRealDeal

diffuser wrote:
28 May 2024, 15:01
Nikosar wrote:
28 May 2024, 12:48
KimiRai wrote:
28 May 2024, 11:47

Motorsport-total says Lawrence Stroll sent offers to Adrian Newey and Pierre Wache but both turned them down. Also mentions Binotto could be next.

https://www.motorsport-total.com/formel ... l-24052703
First it tried Allison, Newey, Binotto and now Wache. It is clear that there is something behind the scenes since last summer. But even If Fallows stays, or if they appoint a CTO, they don't have a magic stick and suddenly the next race Aston will be on the podium. They will need time. But hey if they have budget why not having one of them.

You mean besides that they let Green go and they're looking to replace him? BTW, it's "First it tried Allison, Newey, Wache and now Binotto." but who's counting.
Isn't Green still working at AM Performance Technologies? I can't find anything in the news about him leaving, and he hasn't updated his LinkedIn since the Racing Point days.

alonsofan
alonsofan

-wkst- wrote:
I don't think that's the case. Mercedes had also hired 4-5 Technical Directors before their dominance began.

ali623
ali623

zoroastar wrote:
01 Jun 2024, 01:20
ringo wrote:
Mansell89 wrote:

The older you get, the harder you have to work to stay competitive, that's true of any sport. The sabbatical was probably perfect for Alonso at the time, he was able to reset and come back motivated. Then last year it wasn't a surprise to see him perform like that, it was the first time in a long time he had a car that could fight for podiums.

Unless AM suddenly do a McLaren, I'm expecting very little from him till at least 2026, his motivation will be tanked again. Then, big if, AM-Honda can deliver something competitive in the new regs, he maybe has enough for one last push. But it's all very unlikely to be honest, I think things will just fizzle out till retirement and 2023 will be the highlight of his comeback period.

jofs89
jofs89

Quite a lot pessimism here considering Aston Martin are close to finishing a state of the art facility including a best in class wind tunnel and have hired some top engineers from Red Bull and Mercedes in recent years, as well as having an exclusive engine deal with Honda for 2016, and are a well financed, ambitions team.

I don't see the current issues as a massive dent to their long term success, to be honest. Rome wasn't build in a day. I'd imagine there are massive resources being put in to CFD, Wind tunnel and track correlation for the new facility. I think once that's online we should see a decent upward trajectory. If not, that's when I would start to worry..

SealTheRealDeal
SealTheRealDeal

In 2022 AM had good in-season development. In 2023 they didn't. This year they seem to have begun developing backwards.

Two theories:

A) Under the cost cap it just takes more time to recover from the FIA pulling the rug out from under you. Ferrari got it's floor scrutinized in mid 2022 and only really regained it's footing in mid-2023. So maybe we can expect AM to sort things out around the Summer Break given their front wing wing was scrutinized late into the first half of 2023?

B) Maybe Seb's feedback driving development was more than a talking point? Supposedly development in 2022 was easy because the AMR22 was a bad car with lots of low hanging fruit, and the big difference was that the AMR23 was actually good and thus required genuine and immediately effective innovation to keep pace with the other front runners. But now the car sucks again and has clear areas for improvement (stability, tire life, ect...) yet there doesn't seem to be the respectable pace of development seen in 2022. Maybe they do need Seb's multi-hour debriefsn on car handling? [Besides I think all AM fans would pay to see ALO vs VET in equal machinery]
Last edited by SealTheRealDeal on 01 Jun 2024, 17:57, edited 1 time in total.

kptaylor
kptaylor

Or by finishing lower in previous years they had more aero and CFD time available to aggressively develop early into 2023 that isn't available for the 2024 car?

diffuser

SealTheRealDeal wrote:
01 Jun 2024, 17:07
In 2022 AM had good in-season development. In 2023 they didn't. This year they seem to have begun developing backwards.

Two theories:

A) Under the cost cap it just takes more time to recover from the FIA pulling the rug out from under you. Ferrari got it's floor scrutinized in mid 2022 and only really regained it's footing in mid-2023. So maybe we can expect AM to sort things out around the Summer Break given their front wing wing was scrutinized late into the first half of 2023?

B) Maybe Seb's feedback driving development was more than a talking point? Supposedly development in 2022 was easy because the AMR22 was a bad car with lots of low hanging fruit, and the big difference was that the AMR23 was actually good and thus required genuine and immediately effective innovation to keep pace with the other front runners. But now the car sucks again and has clear areas for improvement (stability, tire life, ect...) yet there doesn't seem to be the respectable pace of development seen in 2024. Maybe they do need Seb's multi-hour debriefsn on car handling? [Besides I think all AM fans would pay to see ALO vs VET in equal machinery]
Don't think the car is shiit. It's just better on front limited tracks vs rear limited. Obviously lacking rear end DF.