2024 Mercedes-AMG | Petronas F1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
Formula 1 fan
Formula 1 fan

Re: 2024 Mercedes-AMG | Petronas F1 Team

According to recent news, it appears that the announced upgrades for the race in Canada will not be nearly as revolutionary as announced in Monaco and Imola.

Jurgen von Diaz

Luscion wrote:Merc denying the claims that Kimi beat George in a "shootout" in testing, never the goal and they did their laps in differing conditions

https://www.racefans.net/2024/05/31/lat ... -mercedes/
They tried to set up a Russell vs. Antonelli duel in the test, where Russell didn't want to give Antonelli enough track time. Come on guys. Italians should learn to write more believable rumors.

JordanMugen

e30ernest wrote:
31 May 2024, 10:47
Lewis was on Hot Ones, he pretty much blurted out how much he dislikes this year's car:
I assume both George and Lewis do, the car has some problems. But it's a solidly competitive midfield car and Mercedes GP will chip away at adding performance to it. :)

Allison has noted that the first steps to solve are the temperature-dependence of the car (how it works the tyres?) and difficulty finding a compromise between low-speed and high-speed on the setup (is that due to mechanical or aero balance shift or both?), when they do that that should give the car a broader operating window.

Is this year's Mercedes rear suspension good? Fans here noted that the angles are quite extreme, and neither Mercedes or Aston Martin seem to have done that much with it. :?:

Luscion
Luscion

JordanMugen wrote:
31 May 2024, 18:10
e30ernest wrote:
31 May 2024, 10:47
Lewis was on Hot Ones, he pretty much blurted out how much he dislikes this year's car:
I assume both George and Lewis do, the car has some problems. But it's a solidly competitive midfield car and Mercedes GP will chip away at adding performance to it. :)

Allison has noted that the first steps to solve are the temperature-dependence of the car (how it works the tyres?) and difficulty finding a compromise between low-speed and high-speed on the setup (is that due to mechanical or aero balance shift or both?), when they do that that should give the car a broader operating window.

Is this year's Mercedes rear suspension good? Fans here noted that the angles are quite extreme, and neither Mercedes or Aston Martin seem to have done that much with it. :?:
Gotta remember this was most likely filmed right before the Miami GP while they were in New York for the whatsapp promo stuff (thats where FWF are located), if not earlier, so before the upgrades they brought to address the car's issues, Lewis was pretty positive about the W15 in Monaco and George said the car was great to drive with the new wing

Cocles

JordanMugen wrote:
31 May 2024, 18:10
Reportedly they brought upgraded internal components for the rear suspension in Imola.

Luscion
Luscion

Re: Mercedes W15

Merc's new front wing made a difference in Monaco but they're expecting significant lap time gains at circuits with a bigger spread of corner speeds, will help in Canada but full benefit will show in Spain.

https://www.formula1.com/en/latest/arti ... tk1T1CWswq

Formula 1 fan
Formula 1 fan

Re: Mercedes W15

If Mercedes can be 0.2 slower than pole for Canada race then they can fight for podium.

ringo

An article on the 7-1 qualifyi ng result this year

https://www.the-race.com/formula-1/le ... mercedes/
It should be pointed out that in terms of their average qualifying laptimes (adjusted for the various lap lengths) the Mercedes drivers are the second-most closely-matched pair on the grid, just behind McLaren’s Lando Norris-Oscar Piastri pairing.
The article does however speaks to the fact that Russel is mostly underrated. By no means is he an average driver.
So i think this also sets the tone to the type of teammate he will have.
It may be one to play 2nd fiddle, moreso than one to lead or save the team.
Antonelli may be a good pick for the job. He will come to the team to learn in 2025 and not focus on beating Russel.
For Sure!!

Cs98
Cs98

ringo wrote:
01 Jun 2024, 16:19

It should be pointed out that in terms of their average qualifying laptimes (adjusted for the various lap lengths) the Mercedes drivers are the second-most closely-matched pair on the grid, just behind McLaren’s Lando Norris-Oscar Piastri pairing.
The article does however speaks to the fact that Russel is mostly underrated. By no means is he an average driver.
Antonelli may be a good pick for the job. He will come to the team to learn in 2025 and not focus on beating Russel.
Unfortunately for Marky Mark Hughes the numbers he references are simply inaccurate. He says the average gap in all quali sessions (sprin quali included) is 0,062s. The actual number is a little over a tenth. If you look only at the 7-1 quali sessions it's 0,13s. I often get the impression he pulls numbers out of a hat in his lap time analysis, particularly his "race pace analysis" after FP.

Hammerfist
Hammerfist

Cs98 wrote:
01 Jun 2024, 16:47
ringo wrote:

Unfortunately for Marky Mark Hughes the numbers he references are simply inaccurate. He says the average gap in all quali sessions (sprin quali included) is 0,062s. The actual number is a little over a tenth. If you look only at the 7-1 quali sessions it's 0,13s. I often get the impression he pulls numbers out of a hat in his lap time analysis, particularly his "race pace analysis" after FP.
It depends on the method you use. If for example you are using Hamilton’s time in q2 and compare it to russels q3 time because Hamilton got knocked out in q2 obviously the gap is going to be bigger. But the more representative way of doing it is to use the times they posted in the same session, taking the track evolution out of the equation.

Cs98
Cs98

Hammerfist wrote:
01 Jun 2024, 19:21
Cs98 wrote:
ringo wrote:

It depends on the method you use. If for example you are using Hamilton’s time in q2 and compare it to russels q3 time because Hamilton got knocked out in q2 obviously the gap is going to be bigger. But the more representative way of doing it is to use the times they posted in the same session, taking the track evolution out of the equation.
You say assuming my method and not counting yourself. Obviously I'm not going to compare a Q3 time with a Q2 time, especially when Mark states in his piece he didn't do that. My numbers are derived from equivalent sessions only, so Q2 vs Q2 in cases one was knocked out. His numbers are simply wrong. I get the feeling he excludes certain sessions at his own discretion where he feels the gap is abnormally large and unrepresentative, basically data manipulation. China Q1 I doubt is included in his analysis for example.

ringo

Cs98 wrote:
01 Jun 2024, 19:43
Hammerfist wrote:
Cs98 wrote:

You say assuming my method and not counting yourself. Obviously I'm not going to compare a Q3 time with a Q2 time, especially when Mark states in his piece he didn't do that. My numbers are derived from equivalent sessions only, so Q2 vs Q2 in cases one was knocked out. His numbers are simply wrong. I get the feeling he excludes certain sessions at his own discretion where he feels the gap is abnormally large and unrepresentative, basically data manipulation. China Q1 I doubt is included in his analysis for example.
Beyond the numbers, the point is only Piastri and Norris are tighter. So it's really not so much of a crisis, considering Piastri is a young prodigy and likewise Norris.
Hughes is probably using sprint qualy also.
Mercedes really has the best driver pairing this year if we look on the numbers. None of the drivers have faded away in the races, and more often than not have a strong race finishing the highest the car can give.
For Sure!!

dialtone
dialtone

Cs98 wrote:
Hammerfist wrote:
Cs98 wrote:
He writes it pretty explicitly that he adjusts for lap length.

Cs98
Cs98

dialtone wrote:
02 Jun 2024, 08:08
Cs98 wrote:
Hammerfist wrote:

He writes it pretty explicitly that he adjusts for lap length.
That's not it. If you did that you would first have to specify what your reference lap length is (logically you'd pick an average length). If you add their total lap time discrepancy over the 10 quali sessions it averages out to around 0,105s per session. If you adjust that to a reference lap length of 5km, you get 0,1s. To get Mark's number you would have to assume the average track is 3,2km, which is obviously ridiculous. Mark has probably excluded one or more sessions at his own discretion which is making the Ham-Rus comparison look closer than it is, which is not good statistical practice. I did the calculation for Perez-Ver and got the same number as Mark within a hundredth by just adding the time discrepancy and dividing by the number of sessions. The things British media does :lol:

Stu

Mod instruction!!
Take the hint guys & gals, lots of posts regarding the drivers have been deleted in the last few days.
Now you are arguing the toss on how a time deficit is being measured (that seems to make 0.038s of difference between the two drivers).

No longer hinting, continued driver/driver ONLY discussion will be automatically deleted and will be reviewed for the purposes of warnings.

Spamming the team thread stops. NOW!
Perspective - Understanding that sometimes the truths we cling to depend greatly on our own point of view.