2024 Mercedes-AMG | Petronas F1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
Cs98
Cs98

Re: 2024 Mercedes-AMG | Petronas F1 Team

Stu wrote:
02 Jun 2024, 11:01
Mod instruction!!
Take the hint guys & gals, lots of posts regarding the drivers have been deleted in the last few days.
Now you are arguing the toss on how a time deficit is being measured (that seems to make 0.038s of difference between the two drivers).

No longer hinting, continued driver/driver ONLY discussion will be automatically deleted and will be reviewed for the purposes of warnings.

Spamming the team thread stops. NOW!
I hope you don't mind me saying but I think this is a bit of an overreaction. The relative gap between the two is of interest, especially when discussed in an objective manner with good data instead of the usual "I think driver x is better than y". Mark Hughes dedicated an entire article to it but it's not good enough for us to discuss on the forum? There are far less relevant topics being discussed in many other threads that are more than twice as long as this one.

Stu

Cs98 wrote:
02 Jun 2024, 12:44
Stu wrote:
Mod instruction!!
Take the hint guys & gals, lots of posts regarding the drivers have been deleted in the last few days.
Now you are arguing the toss on how a time deficit is being measured (that seems to make 0.038s of difference between the two drivers).

No longer hinting, continued driver/driver ONLY discussion will be automatically deleted and will be reviewed for the purposes of warnings.

I hope you don't mind me saying but I think this is a bit of an overreaction. The relative gap between the two is of interest, especially when discussed in an objective manner with good data instead of the usual "I think driver x is better than y". Mark Hughes dedicated an entire article to it but it's not good enough for us to discuss on the forum? There are far less relevant topics being discussed in many other threads that are more than twice as long as this one.
The problem is not the discussion of the article, but the way that the argument is the validity of the article.
Potentially there are many ways to calculate the average pace of each driver, but all are fallible when subjected to “yeah, but what-if…” scenarios.
Why not settle on the figure given (& calculation method given with)?

Discussion of the validation method IS off topic and spamming the content of the thread.
Perspective - Understanding that sometimes the truths we cling to depend greatly on our own point of view.

PlatinumZealot

Cs98 wrote:
02 Jun 2024, 12:44
Stu wrote:
Mod instruction!!

Agreed, and this is about hard data of two drivers in the current team. And the discussion was actually with method is best to accurately represent them. Very technical.

My opinion though, numbers are not necessary. The two drivers are normally extracting the maximum from the car and normally are withing 1 tenth of each other. The battle is a bit one-sided on paper, but for Lewis it's not bad for a 40-year old.
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

Racing Green in 2028

PlatinumZealot

Guys who want to rate Russell lowly, read to the end of the article... https://www.planetf1.com/news/lewis-ham ... st-drivers

He is Vettel's choice for the next world champion other than Max.
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

Racing Green in 2028

DGP123
DGP123

PlatinumZealot wrote:
02 Jun 2024, 18:41
Guys who want to rate Russell lowly, read to the end of the article... https://www.planetf1.com/news/lewis-ham ... st-drivers

Seb must of been on the drink, or just doesn’t watch F1 anymore, or understand the plight Mercedes find themselves in.

Cocles

DGP123 wrote:
02 Jun 2024, 19:51
PlatinumZealot wrote:

Seb must of been on the drink, or just doesn’t watch F1 anymore, or understand the plight Mercedes find themselves in.
I remember posts like this in early 2013 regarding Hamilton being the next champion.

Mercedes were smart snag GR. It'll be cool to see how he interacts with the team after Lewis is gone. He's ridiculously underrated. I remember the shock many of us had during the pandemic when the no-name Williams driver was wiping the walls with everyone in the simulator races.

organic

Cocles wrote:
02 Jun 2024, 21:14
DGP123 wrote:
PlatinumZealot wrote:

I remember posts like this in early 2013 regarding Hamilton being the next champion.

Mercedes were smart snag GR. It'll be cool to see how he interacts with the team after Lewis is gone. He's ridiculously underrated. I remember the shock many of us had during the pandemic when the no-name Williams driver was wiping the walls with everyone in the simulator races.
No... Surely this must be satire

ringo

Cocles wrote:
DGP123 wrote:
PlatinumZealot wrote:

Highly underrated. The man has always performed at a high level apart from the banzai crashes; he has a clean style with raw pace. He has no weaknesses.
Mercedes should be on a good trajectory if they figure out their issues this year with the ground effect.
Hamilton may just find himself in a slower car than the Mercedes in 2026.
But, I am all for the move nonetheless. He needs a change in environment and Mercedes need a fresh start with drivers.
For Sure!!

Dunlay
Dunlay

ringo wrote:
02 Jun 2024, 23:54
Cocles wrote:
DGP123 wrote:

Highly underrated. The man has always performed at a high level apart from the banzai crashes; he has a clean style with raw pace. He has no weaknesses.
Mercedes should be on a good trajectory if they figure out their issues this year with the ground effect.
Hamilton may just find himself in a slower car than the Mercedes in 2026.
But, I am all for the move nonetheless. He needs a change in environment and Mercedes need a fresh start with drivers.
If someone gives me, one of the fastest driver on the grid, that has crashed 4 times in 6 years and one of those was when the most experienced driver ahead played dirty, I would be a delighted team principal. All the while, when driving a back marker or unpredictable sh*t boxes. Now compare those stats with the first 6 years of legendary drivers.

TeamKoolGreen
TeamKoolGreen

Maybe we can have a Russell vs Hamilton thread parked somewhere in the corner. And just let it rip ? :D

Luscion
Luscion

Merc bringing constant upgrades from now in Canada to the Belgium gp

https://formu1a.uno/en/mercedes-to-begi ... ng-rounds/

Seanspeed
Seanspeed

organic wrote:
02 Jun 2024, 22:17
Cocles wrote:
DGP123 wrote:

No... Surely this must be satire
What is so ridiculous about it? Russell has been quite competitive with a driver many consider to be the greatest ever. He's never been anything except very competitive whatever his situation.

I think the main argument against Russell ever being champion comes more from Mercedes' prospects than Russell's lack of ability.

2026 is going to be a wild card, especially with Newey gone from Red Bull. Nailing the engine regulations could easily lead to a huge competitive advantage, and that's something you shouldn't bet against Mercedes doing.

It's ok if you dont think that's the most likely situation, but to write the chances off completely and to be insulting about it doesn't seem reasonable at all to me.

Jurgen von Diaz

People are laughing at Russell, but he is the one who has the 2–1 lead against the seven-time champion. I think Hamilton is the one who has been a disappointment for the past three years.

CaribouBread
CaribouBread

Seanspeed wrote:
04 Jun 2024, 17:40

What is so ridiculous about it? ...
This sentence was quite ridiculous.
I remember the shock many of us had during the pandemic when the no-name Williams driver was wiping the walls with everyone in the simulator races.
It is so ridiculous; I agree with organic that this might as well be satire. Even the most ardent Russel-hater wouldn't say that Russel was a "no name driver" that only got attention because of pandemic video game sessions.

Seanspeed
Seanspeed

CaribouBread wrote:
04 Jun 2024, 18:44
Seanspeed wrote:
04 Jun 2024, 17:40

What is so ridiculous about it? ...
This sentence was quite ridiculous.
I remember the shock many of us had during the pandemic when the no-name Williams driver was wiping the walls with everyone in the simulator races.
It is so ridiculous; I agree with organic that this might as well be satire. Even the most ardent Russel-hater wouldn't say that Russel was a "no name driver" that only got attention because of pandemic video game sessions.
I really dont think that was the same angle that user 'organic' was coming from, though.

But if so, ok, my bad. And I would agree. Though I would say that Russell has been pretty overlooked in terms of all the 'top driver' discussions that typically go on. There has undoubtedly also been efforts by a certain fan group to constantly downplay Russell, and it helps a lot(for those trying to downplay him) that Russell only came onboard after Mercedes stopped being dominant, removing the spotlight.