2024 Aston Martin | Aramco F1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
KimiRai
KimiRai

Re: 2024 Aston Martin | Aramco F1 Team

-wkst- wrote:
03 Jun 2024, 16:35
But he is the guy who was more or less always right about AMR the last months? Is this correct?
Yep it's the same person. We'll see, his track record has been good

diffuser

KimiRai wrote:
03 Jun 2024, 17:32
-wkst- wrote:
03 Jun 2024, 16:35
But he is the guy who was more or less always right about AMR the last months? Is this correct?
Yep it's the same person. We'll see, his track record has been good
I just have an issue with the way he wrote that. I agree on being a long summer. When you think about it, they've already had 4 -8 weeks since they've had the last upgrades in the simulator.

diffuser

Looks like it's gonna rain all weekend. Seeing 50-70% precipitation starting Thursday.

KimiRai
KimiRai

Saw this on Autosport forums:
"This is coming from Leo Turrini, but he says that Aston Martin will shortly change its Team Principal and has made contact with Mattia Binotto"
https://www.quotidiano.net/blog/turrini ... olo-5.8521

Others said CTO but if true Mike Krack may be at risk.

-wkst-
-wkst-

I also wouldn't rule out to see Mike Elliott in the CTO role at AMR.

Regarding Krack there are a lot of rumours since winter that Stroll is searching for a new TP. In my opinion too many.

Nikosar
Nikosar

Do we know when Binotto's gardening leave end ? Maybe he can join only for 2025 season and not now. Binotto, or whoever is coming , as CTO or TP need to join now, to be effective and start working on the the 2025 car.

Last ALONSO comment when asked about the performances, he answered " it is a question for Mike Krack". Something is broken between the two

Otromundo

We'll see what happens in Canada.

I must admit that I am very impressed with the information you share about the notable people on the teams. I thought I was very infected with my love for F1... but I see that there are people who are much worse. Thank you very much, you have taken a weight off my shoulders.

I'm mainly worried about two things: why Fernando can't control the car and the issue that the wind tunnel results don't match real practice.

Not even Fernando knows the answer to the first problem, I think. If not, he would have fixed it himself. It seems as if he doesn't feel the car's reactions. Taking into account the mechanical base and the results that both MB and McL obtain with it, the problem should be related to the differences between the 3 teams and that apart from aerodynamics (which is also related to the performance of the car but not with its general behavior even at "low" speed) I think it is in the suspensions, especially the rear one. Something that we have already talked about since the beginning of the season but that seems to continue without an effective solution. The car since the beginning of the season, however, seems heavy and quite clumsy to me. It behaves as if it were a truck with an articulated trailer. And I have come to think that the chassis and wheelbase are too long. Even the gas tank is too high, raising the center of gravity. Because the beginning of the race was disappointing and then as the race progressed the performance seemed to improve. And I've also thought sometimes that the car just doesn't like Pirelli.

I'm sorry for the length the text is taking. I hope I'm not boring you.

As for the second problem, the wind tunnel... I recently published information that I received that said that the problem was not the wind tunnel or the software they used. That the problem was "the manufacturing of scale model". Does anyone know anything about this please? They share a tunnel with MB and they seemed to have similar problems. But about quality? of the aerodynamic models... I don't understand. Although it sounds promising if it turns out that MB uses models of the same scale, manufacturing process and etc.

We will see Fernando's face when Canada's practice begins. And if the gesture improves.
Believe half of what you see and none of what you hear.

diffuser

Nikosar wrote:
04 Jun 2024, 15:24
Do we know when Binotto's gardening leave end ? Maybe he can join only for 2025 season and not now. Binotto, or whoever is coming , as CTO or TP need to join now, to be effective and start working on the the 2025 car.

Last ALONSO comment when asked about the performances, he answered " it is a question for Mike Krack". Something is broken between the two
Dec 2023

diffuser

-wkst- wrote:
04 Jun 2024, 08:15
I also wouldn't rule out to see Mike Elliott in the CTO role at AMR.

Regarding Krack there are a lot of rumours since winter that Stroll is searching for a new TP. In my opinion too many.
Don't forget that AMR have added like 400 people in the last few years (in June 2021, Team Principal Otmar Szafnauer confirmed that the team will expand its workforce from 535 to 800 employees). Couple of days ago I read that they were at almost 1000 people. You need more directors when you double the work force. It's not necessarily cause a guy isn't doing a good job.

diffuser

Otromundo wrote:
04 Jun 2024, 17:27
We'll see what happens in Canada.

I must admit that I am very impressed with the information you share about the notable people on the teams. I thought I was very infected with my love for F1... but I see that there are people who are much worse. Thank you very much, you have taken a weight off my shoulders.

I'm mainly worried about two things: why Fernando can't control the car and the issue that the wind tunnel results don't match real practice.

Not even Fernando knows the answer to the first problem, I think. If not, he would have fixed it himself. It seems as if he doesn't feel the car's reactions. Taking into account the mechanical base and the results that both MB and McL obtain with it, the problem should be related to the differences between the 3 teams and that apart from aerodynamics (which is also related to the performance of the car but not with its general behavior even at "low" speed) I think it is in the suspensions, especially the rear one. Something that we have already talked about since the beginning of the season but that seems to continue without an effective solution. The car since the beginning of the season, however, seems heavy and quite clumsy to me. It behaves as if it were a truck with an articulated trailer. And I have come to think that the chassis and wheelbase are too long. Even the gas tank is too high, raising the center of gravity. Because the beginning of the race was disappointing and then as the race progressed the performance seemed to improve. And I've also thought sometimes that the car just doesn't like Pirelli.

Both ALO and LS said the car goes from oversteer on corner entry to understeer in mid corner. I presume this to mean in certain types, speed of corners and not just all of them.

I'm sorry for the length the text is taking. I hope I'm not boring you.
ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz :)

As for the second problem, the wind tunnel... I recently published information that I received that said that the problem was not the wind tunnel or the software they used. That the problem was "the manufacturing of scale model". Does anyone know anything about this please? They share a tunnel with MB and they seemed to have similar problems. But about quality? of the aerodynamic models... I don't understand. Although it sounds promising if it turns out that MB uses models of the same scale, manufacturing process and etc.
Wind tunnels are restricted to 60% of scale I think .... that's all I know on that.

We will see Fernando's face when Canada's practice begins. And if the gesture improves.

peewon

Otromundo wrote:
04 Jun 2024, 17:27

I think the downforce profile of the car is such that its too rear biased. This is why it looks lethargic on turns and also why its hard on its tyres. In one word, understeer. Exaggerated by the front wing ban last year. This seems to be the case with these ground effect cars. Even the original RB 18 seemed a bit sluggish in slow corners.

To complicate things further, the ride height seems like an important variable in performance and the 'bad cars' seem more sensitive to it. I guess this is where the suspension becomes really critical in combination with the downforce profile. I dont know about the gas tank height issue as this car seems much better in quali and latter half of the races when the fuel loads are light. So to me it seems like its optimal ride height is a bit higher. If Im not mistaken Alonso complained about bouncing in one of the races as well, which was never a big issue for AM before. Just seems like a very peaky car with inconsistent downforce levels.

I think they are seeing bigger downforce figures in simulation and testing and chasing that path without realizing some translation issue to the real world. It honestly sounds a lot similar to Mercedes zero pod endeavor. Theres clearly limitations to scale model, wind tunnel testing as evidenced by the porpoising problems missed by many teams. Unfortunately for AM, the FIA isnt going to bail them out like they did Mercedes.

Sherrinford
Sherrinford

I saw clips of the 2023 Canadian Grand Prix and what can I say brought tears to my eyes. Another victory wasted on a false alarm in this case. We'll see if Fernando works some magic this weekend.
Elliott could be a great shot, but I'm hoping with all my heart for Adrian Newey

Otromundo

"Wind tunnels are restricted to 60% of scale I think .... that's all I know on that."

"I think the downforce profile of the car is such that its too rear biased"
"I guess this is where the suspension becomes really critical in combination with the downforce profile. I dont know about the gas tank height issue as this car seems much better in quali and latter half of the races when the fuel loads are light. So to me it seems like its optimal ride height is a bit higher. If Im not mistaken Alonso complained about bouncing in one of the races as well, which was never a big issue for AM before. Just seems like a very peaky car with inconsistent downforce levels"

"Theres clearly limitations to scale model, wind tunnel testing as evidenced by the porpoising problems missed by many teams. Unfortunately for AM, the FIA isnt going to bail them out like they did Mercedes".

Many thanks :)
Believe half of what you see and none of what you hear.

OnEcRiTiCaL
OnEcRiTiCaL

Otromundo wrote:
05 Jun 2024, 01:26
"Wind tunnels are restricted to 60% of scale I think .... that's all I know on that."

"I guess this is where the suspension becomes really critical in combination with the downforce profile. I dont know about the gas tank height issue as this car seems much better in quali and latter half of the races when the fuel loads are light. So to me it seems like its optimal ride height is a bit higher. If Im not mistaken Alonso complained about bouncing in one of the races as well, which was never a big issue for AM before. Just seems like a very peaky car with inconsistent downforce levels"

"Theres clearly limitations to scale model, wind tunnel testing as evidenced by the porpoising problems missed by many teams. Unfortunately for AM, the FIA isnt going to bail them out like they did Mercedes".

The problem started when FIA banned Aston Front wing concept last year. Probably it was banned after the 2nd race. Aston suddenly went from full downforce to low downforce. Even in Hungary they could use the same spec front wing and car as in Monaco or before Monaco, but because of FIA they couldn't. They didn't left any other choices, but start to copy Redbull . The problem with this copy, that they had to go with low downforce wings. It was successful of course but they primitive and simple floor design wasn't make much downforce (vacuum ) as Redbull one. I think Aston should stop making so many front wings and put all that money in the floor . The good thing with the floor increased downforce, that is doesn't make drag, the wings do.

Sherrinford
Sherrinford

OnEcRiTiCaL wrote:
05 Jun 2024, 09:30
Otromundo wrote:
05 Jun 2024, 01:26

The problem started when FIA banned Aston Front wing concept last year. Probably it was banned after the 2nd race. Aston suddenly went from full downforce to low downforce. Even in Hungary they could use the same spec front wing and car as in Monaco or before Monaco, but because of FIA they couldn't. They didn't left any other choices, but start to copy Redbull . The problem with this copy, that they had to go with low downforce wings. It was successful of course but they primitive and simple floor design wasn't make much downforce (vacuum ) as Redbull one. I think Aston should stop making so many front wings and put all that money in the floor . The good thing with the floor increased downforce, that is doesn't make drag, the wings do.
It's not that simple, they must have thought about it too. There is a correlation problem to solve first of all. And secondly they have a problem with the rear, probably suspension.