2026 Aerodynamic & Chassis Regulations

Here are our CFD links and discussions about aerodynamics, suspension, driver safety and tyres. Please stick to F1 on this forum.
organic

Re: 2026 Aerodynamic & Chassis Regulations

Even FIA admit this regulation is a patchwork to make up for the terrible engine
“We developed rules that adapted to the new engines. If you're limited in terms of energy for the straights, you don't want extra weight or drag that can slow you down. We started from here in the development of smaller and more agile cars and with the implementation of active aerodynamics” explained FIA Single Seater Director, Jan Monchaux.
Apparently the FIA renders and the regulatory volumes seen so far are based on draft 7 of the regulations. They have proceeded to refine and are now on draft 10.

Most notable difference between 7 and 10 is that the baby venturi inlets seen in 7 are gone. Floors will be flat unless things swing back

Also spotted this on the FIA website
- The GPS antenna is being repositioned to improve sensitivity and to allow for future developments in active safety.
Maybe early signs of more automatic detection of incidents so yellow flags can be deployed quicker. Also, GPS sensitivity will be useful for properly detecting false starts

Dunlay
Dunlay

https://www.fia.com/news/new-era-compet ... and-beyond

The 2026 regulations:

- Active aero
- No DRS, but new 'Manual Override' mode
- Narrower tyres
- Narrower front wing
- No more wheel arches
- Reduced ground effect due to partially flat floor
- Three element rear wing,
- Lower beam wing has been removed
- End plates have been simplified

Downforce has been reduced by 30%, drag by 55%. The cars will be 30kg lighter, 200mm shorter and 100m narrower.

cplchanb
cplchanb

So we are time traveling back to 2008 and pretending the 2009 ruleset never happened lol

AMG.Tzan

I was thinking of what could maybe slow down Red Bull in 2026 and I thought of flatter ground effect tunnels instead of “3D tunnels” like Red Bull’s

Seems like the FIA thought of the same thing :lol:
"The only rule is there are no rules" - Aristotle Onassis

Vanja #66

55% lower drag sounds amazing, I guess it's the drag on straights with DRS on for 2026 car vs DRS off (as it usually is for the leader) for 2022-25 car.

Since there is now this added focus on elongated 2-step front impact structure I don't expect they will abandon the front wing sweep in the future, while the rear overhang (and likely crash structure) seems to be longer now #-o
And they call it a stall. A STALL!

#DwarvesAreNaturalSprinters
#BlessYouLaddie

AMG.Tzan

Dunlay wrote:
06 Jun 2024, 16:06
https://www.fia.com/news/new-era-compet ... and-beyond

The 2026 regulations:

- Active aero
- No DRS, but new 'Manual Override' mode
- Narrower tyres
- Narrower front wing
- No more wheel arches
- Reduced ground effect due to partially flat floor
- Three element rear wing,
- Lower beam wing has been removed
- End plates have been simplified

Downforce has been reduced by 30%, drag by 55%. The cars will be 30kg lighter, 200mm shorter and 100m narrower.

https://i.postimg.cc/KGp7Qb3c/2026.jpg
I’m amazed at how the FIA “innovates” shapes that they say “help promote closer racing” like no endplates yet always they end up backtracking and going back to older ideas!

Weren’t endplates supposed to produce vortices that destroy the wake?? What’s changed now suddenly??

Though I like the new look cars…
"The only rule is there are no rules" - Aristotle Onassis

Elite
Elite

I can't contain my disappointment. How boring and bad do these regs sound. Active aero sounds just plain stupid and confusing. And these active wings will screw up development potential. The ground effect floors going is stupid as well. I hope the 2030 regs are better :lol:

Elite
Elite

However with ground effect gone, does anyone think the AMR22 sidepods would be a good concept? I've always found them interesting as I think they would've produced a double floor effect

organic

Elite wrote:
06 Jun 2024, 16:26
However with ground effect gone, does anyone think the AMR22 sidepods would be a good concept? I've always found them interesting as I think they would've produced a double floor effect
I think inwashing/tight coke bottle sidepods will be the way to go personally
Last edited by organic on 06 Jun 2024, 16:28, edited 1 time in total.

Xyz22
Xyz22

Clearly the new engine regulations limited them massively, which is a huge shame.

wuzak
wuzak

F1NAC wrote:
06 Jun 2024, 15:41
So all the cars can use DRS on both wings on all straights, yet the car that is behind can now use more ERS to overtake the guy in front? You will need hella lot energy to overtake car in front that also shed drag..
The override is worth 50kW at 300kph and 100kW at 310kph.

The peak difference for override is 237.5kW at 337.5kph.

wowgr8
wowgr8

Why couldn't they also copy the pointy noses from 2008, these fat noses are so F2 and ugly

mwillems

How much power will be available to the drivers when they engage "manual override". it seems like it is not just going to replace DRS but with the active aero there will be less of a tow for those behind.

I look the look of the cars but I wish they'd gone a bit further with the reduction in size and weight. I still feel the cars are too big and heavy and not optimal for overtaking.

Edit: Power question is answered above.
I'm not taking advice from a cartoon dog

-Bandit

Elite
Elite

organic wrote:
06 Jun 2024, 16:27
Elite wrote:
06 Jun 2024, 16:26
I think inwashing/tight coke bottle sidepods will be the way to go personally
How come this route of sidepods? Interested to hear others thoughts on these cars :)

cplchanb
cplchanb

wowgr8 wrote:
06 Jun 2024, 16:30
Why couldn't they also copy the pointy noses from 2008, these fat noses are so F2 and ugly
Are nose shapes prescribed in this ruleset?