2024 FIM MotoGP World Championship

Please discuss here all your remarks and pose your questions about all racing series, except Formula One. Both technical and other questions about GP2, Touring cars, IRL, LMS, ...
Farnborough
Farnborough

Re: 2024 FIM MotoGP World Championship

There's just one Marquez, if that's what they want then there's no contest really. They'd be racing against him otherwise.

Martin doesn't "deserve" (in the strictest sense) a ride in the factory team, he has to "earn" it by winning a championship, which hadn't happened so far. We've yet to see this year, but by no means is it a safe prediction.

They've all had it easy since Marquez first accident, then Honda being effectively uncompetitive. Now we can see (baring accidents) who is really the most worthy winner of the championship in rider terms.

Both Martin and Bastianinni have also had their own health issues resulting from accidents, hopefully now fully cleared for both of them to e fully complete in approaching this championship.

Martin doesn't have the bargaining power of MM, simple as that, also turning himself in a similar position to Sainz in what he's able to offer, competitive, some wins but not got in position to close out a championship, ultimately to move to another team as he views more value in himself than current achievement indicates.

The rest of this year is going to show us just who has got the tenacity, then next year with the three being in other teams will be really defining.

I still wouldn't bet against MM for championship this year :D

AMG.Tzan

Andres125sx wrote:
05 Jun 2024, 08:42
AMG.Tzan wrote:
03 Jun 2024, 21:06
Martin has nothing to offer to the team! He’s basically a second Bagnaia, maybe a bit worse at times!
Are you seriously saying this about the championship leader?? :wtf:

Then what are offering Bastianini and Morbidelli to Ducati? Morbidelli can´t even beat rookie Acosta on a GasGas, despite riding Ducati GP24!

Hatered detected #-o
I mean, I was rooting for Martin in 2023 against Bagnaia… :lol:

So I wouldn’t call it hatred! It’s just facts! Martin isn’t faster than Bagnaia and I don’t expect him to beat Bagnaia to the championship! Having 2 riders of the same caliber doesn’t add something to the team! Whereas Marc brings a ton of things as I mentioned above…

Morbidelli pretty much doesn’t deserve his GP24 although he lost all testing while coming from an inline 4 which is considered a big change!

As for Bastianini he looked to be on course to beat Bagnaia after his 2022 season yet he ended up lost somehow…
"The only rule is there are no rules" - Aristotle Onassis

Seanspeed
Seanspeed

etusch wrote:
05 Jun 2024, 09:48
I think Ducati made a mistake by letting Martin to go.
Ducati are going to win the championship no matter what. Martin was not some critical piece for Ducati. But Marquez brings them a big name that is also highly competitive, and will be so much better for the marketing side.

Andres125sx

AMG.Tzan wrote:
05 Jun 2024, 23:16
It’s just facts! Martin isn’t faster than Bagnaia
Championship table tells otherwise, same as the championship itself, at least until last GP at Bagnaia home, Martin looked much faster and even more consistent

Anycase, Martin surprisingly signed with Aprilia :shock:

https://www.motogp.com/es/news/2024/06/ ... 025/500764

Time will tell, but I think he made a huge mistake. Anycase with Marquez on a GP25, it does not matter too much :mrgreen:

Andres125sx

Farnborough wrote:
05 Jun 2024, 12:47

I still wouldn't bet against MM for championship this year :D
Two friends did a bet about that exactly. Now it´s even more funny watching MotoGP races and Marquez getting used to Ducati :mrgreen:

AMG.Tzan

Andres125sx wrote:
06 Jun 2024, 07:40
AMG.Tzan wrote:
05 Jun 2024, 23:16
It’s just facts! Martin isn’t faster than Bagnaia
Championship table tells otherwise, same as the championship itself, at least until last GP at Bagnaia home, Martin looked much faster and even more consistent

Anycase, Martin surprisingly signed with Aprilia :shock:

https://www.motogp.com/es/news/2024/06/ ... 025/500764

Time will tell, but I think he made a huge mistake. Anycase with Marquez on a GP25, it does not matter too much :mrgreen:
Everything will pin on how long it takes Martin to get used to the Aprilia! It’s the only bike that has beaten Ducati this year! KTM is quite close too! But Aprilia really needed a top rider…

Wanna see now if Ducati is going to give Marquez anything more this year so that he can fight properly with the GP24s! Simon Patterson said this version of the GP23 is quite an early version and not the fully developed one Bagnaia won the championship with…

I mean they have to! It would be embarrassing if Martin wins in the end :lol:
"The only rule is there are no rules" - Aristotle Onassis

etusch

Seanspeed wrote:
05 Jun 2024, 23:26
etusch wrote:
Ducati are going to win the championship no matter what. Martin was not some critical piece for Ducati. But Marquez brings them a big name that is also highly competitive, and will be so much better for the marketing side.
You can not know what next year bring. Man tend to think Ducati dominant this year and will be same next year too but this is not right logic.
This year ? Martin can get the WDC and ducati will be lost his WDC rider for next season. Bagnaia change settings right before the race sometimes and wins. Maybe they make a trick with the settings to win instead of Martin's win. Maybe we will see something like that more, or maybe relaxed Martin will go better and win the title.

Andres125sx

AMG.Tzan wrote:
06 Jun 2024, 09:34
]
Everything will pin on how long it takes Martin to get used to the Aprilia! It’s the only bike that has beaten Ducati this year! KTM is quite close too! But Aprilia really needed a top rider…

Wanna see now if Ducati is going to give Marquez anything more this year so that he can fight properly with the GP24s! Simon Patterson said this version of the GP23 is quite an early version and not the fully developed one Bagnaia won the championship with…

I mean they have to! It would be embarrassing if Martin wins in the end :lol:

+1 :D

etusch

Ducati will never "Allow" Jorge Martin to be 2024 World Champion, according to Spanish journalist

https://www.motosan.es/motogp/pecino-a- ... DzrlOp2tAn

Farnborough
Farnborough

etusch wrote:
07 Jun 2024, 09:07
Ducati will never "Allow" Jorge Martin to be 2024 World Champion, according to Spanish journalist

If Martin is as good as he thinks he is, then he'll win the championship on the Aprillia.

If not, he'll likely be a world superbike WSBK champion in six years time :D

A fully fit Marquez is still the benchmark in reality, certainly making them all think and push hard this year, on year back bike within Ducati stable too. That says alot.

Even Maequez points out that Acosta is the next very high talent too, they'll all have him to contend with next year with more experience and higher KTM focus.

Seanspeed
Seanspeed

etusch wrote:
06 Jun 2024, 14:32
Seanspeed wrote:
etusch wrote:
You can not know what next year bring. Man tend to think Ducati dominant this year and will be same next year too but this is not right logic.
This year ? Martin can get the WDC and ducati will be lost his WDC rider for next season. Bagnaia change settings right before the race sometimes and wins. Maybe they make a trick with the settings to win instead of Martin's win. Maybe we will see something like that more, or maybe relaxed Martin will go better and win the title.
True, we dont know what next year will bring, but Ducati has had the best bike on the grid since like 2017, so I dont think it's a huge leap to think it will be similar next year. And with top riders on the Ducati, it would take an extraordinary situation for somebody else to outcompete both of them.

As for this year, again, even if Martin wins the championship this year, it's not some huge loss if he goes, cuz spots #2 and #3 are likely to be Ducati riders as well. He's not some clearly higher talent than their other options that will hurt them in a more competitive situation if he's not there. Bagnaia, who I still think will win this year, and Marquez, are going to be more than sufficient if the Ducati is at all any good. Which it almost assuredly will be.

Seanspeed
Seanspeed

etusch wrote:
07 Jun 2024, 09:07

Well I see they've got a nice persecution narrative all lined up if he doesn't win. lol

Home country media are always extremely reactionary when it comes to their national heroes.

etusch

Seanspeed wrote:
07 Jun 2024, 14:42
etusch wrote:
06 Jun 2024, 14:32
Seanspeed wrote:

True, we dont know what next year will bring, but Ducati has had the best bike on the grid since like 2017, so I dont think it's a huge leap to think it will be similar next year. And with top riders on the Ducati, it would take an extraordinary situation for somebody else to outcompete both of them.

As for this year, again, even if Martin wins the championship this year, it's not some huge loss if he goes, cuz spots #2 and #3 are likely to be Ducati riders as well. He's not some clearly higher talent than their other options that will hurt them in a more competitive situation if he's not there. Bagnaia, who I still think will win this year, and Marquez, are going to be more than sufficient if the Ducati is at all any good. Which it almost assuredly will be.
Ducati is best since 2017 ? Even Dallignia will laugh this.

Seanspeed
Seanspeed

etusch wrote:
07 Jun 2024, 15:35
Yes, I dont think that's unreasonable. Dovizioso came in a close 2nd in 2017 on the Ducati. Given that Marquez was in his absolute dominant prime and the fact that Dovi was never a top rider, I do think the Ducati was ultimately the best bike that year.

Ducati suffered a number of seasons from not having any top riders.

etusch

Seanspeed wrote:
07 Jun 2024, 15:58
etusch wrote:
07 Jun 2024, 15:35
Yes, I dont think that's unreasonable. Dovizioso came in a close 2nd in 2017 on the Ducati. Given that Marquez was in his absolute dominant prime and the fact that Dovi was never a top rider, I do think the Ducati was ultimately the best bike that year.

Ducati suffered a number of seasons from not having any top riders.
They were best only last year and dominant only this year. 2021 they were one of the best. Thats it.