2024 Mercedes-AMG | Petronas F1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
organic

Re: 2024 Mercedes-AMG | Petronas F1 Team

Venturi tunnels will be gone from 2026 onwards. Merc can recover :D

r85
r85

organic wrote:
06 Jun 2024, 13:22
Venturi tunnels will be gone from 2026 onwards. Merc can recover :D
More like a mix of flat floor and new gen floor. But relying more on front and rear wings for performance must sound good to Mercedes. Their front and rear wings have been a strength for quite some time now.

Mansell89
Mansell89

Anyone think Merc could be pretty handy this weekend?

Just have this feeling Canada might work well for them, there have been little signs of improvement and I wouldn’t be overly surprised to see the gap closer around here.

Formula 1 fan
Formula 1 fan

If Mercedes only bring new front wings, then they will be at same position as of now, but if they bring other upgrades, then anything is possible.

ringo

Formula 1 fan wrote:
06 Jun 2024, 15:32
If Mercedes only bring new front wings, then they will be at same position as of now, but if they bring other upgrades, then anything is possible.
The wing can make a big difference to those little moments in the corners where the driver gets a snap.

Remember when Toto said the car has all the downforce, but not all the time and they need to figure out why?
It's when the corners come they have issues.
The wing can be a huge step in patching that wound.

I think the next upgrade may be the sidepods and engine cover and then another floor edge to extract the increased potential provided by the flows from the new front wing. They have already brought a floor.
For Sure!!

maygun
maygun

Mansell89 wrote:
06 Jun 2024, 14:55

Just have this feeling Canada might work well for them, there have been little signs of improvement and I wouldn’t be overly surprised to see the gap closer around here.
I think as the car is tricky to set up when there is no set-up compromise and no need to balance high-speed/low-speed corners and straights, the car seems closer than it is.

In Monaco, you push for maximum downforce so it is easy to set up, In Canada you have long straights and low-speed corners, so you have to somehow balance it. If the new-front wing did not bring stability and efficiency across different situations the car would be no manland of 4th again.

Luscion
Luscion

maygun wrote:
06 Jun 2024, 18:04
Mansell89 wrote:
06 Jun 2024, 14:55

I think as the car is tricky to set up when there is no set-up compromise and no need to balance high-speed/low-speed corners and straights, the car seems closer than it is.

In Monaco, you push for maximum downforce so it is easy to set up, In Canada you have long straights and low-speed corners, so you have to somehow balance it. If the new-front wing did not bring stability and efficiency across different situations the car would be no manland of 4th again.
To me it doesnt seem like they suffer from a narrow set up window anymore since the Miami upgrades, lewis saying they're only making small changes to the car between sessions now adds to that for me. Mark Hughes and Giorgio Piola wrote that merc expects significant lap time gains at circuits with a bigger spread of corner speeds with the new front wing, that it will help in Canada but the full benefit will show in Spain. Plus whatever upgrades they're bringing here

Luscion
Luscion

Lewis seems pretty positive this weekend, asked if he thinks a podium is possible this weekend he said he doesnt think its far away (dont know if he meant here or in general)

Luscion
Luscion

Both George and Lewis saying the car feels good, Lewis saying the car is reacting to his inputs and he feels really confident. Interesting to see what happens when/if they put the new wing on tomorrow

mstar
mstar

Its weird how adaptable lewis is when over the years you look at him at Canada you think he is aggressive style, but when you see him on tracks which require more finesse and sensitivity, flowing style he drives different. So lewis i kind of disagree you ALWAYS had a aggressive driving style LOL i would say like max he has the most ADAPTABLE driving style.

ringo

His style has been naturally aggressive.
The regulation changes over the years and tyre changes meant he adapted to more preservation.
He seems to be a little bit more motivated as the car improves.
I wonder if he will regret leaving by year end if the car gets really good.
For Sure!!

ringo wrote:
08 Jun 2024, 17:21
His style has been naturally aggressive.
The regulation changes over the years and tyre changes meant he adapted to more preservation.
He seems to be a little bit more motivated as the car improves.
I wonder if he will regret leaving by year end if the car gets really good.
Doubt it, he’ll be relishing the new challenge; I know I’d be, especially at his age. And if the car gets good by the end (which is v likely IMO) it’s the trajectory we should’ve been on a whole yr earlier had they abandoned ‘zeropod’ in good time.
Team ANTI-HYPE. Prove it, then I’ll anoint you.

Luscion
Luscion

Lewis is on it this weekend, still practice but nobody came close to him after multiple runs

mkay
mkay

Russell doesn't seem close to him this weekend, but we've seen this before and Russell always keeps extra margin in his pocket for Qualifying.

Hammerfist
Hammerfist

Man Lewis better stop with these glory runs.