2024 Mclaren Formula 1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
CjC
CjC

Re: 2024 Mclaren Formula 1 Team

Darth-Piekus wrote:
08 Jun 2024, 19:37
We shal see. Consider that Mclaren has a huge difference between practise and qualifying. I think we shal be ok.
That has been a common occurrence in recent races for sure
Just a fan's point of view

Emag
Emag

It seems like Lando threw away his fastest lap on the last chicane. He had a bad exit and just gave up and lifted. This is compared to Verstappen's fastest lap :

Still waiting for the data of all drivers to be available to check against Lewis' lap. At least compared to Max, engine modes look comparable.

Emag
Emag

Bad hairpin by Lando and obviously the exit out of the last chicane. Other than that, he is losing massively out of exits in the first sector. Almost all losses are there.

Nothing suspicious in the telemetry to be honest, Lewis just looks really strong.

CjC
CjC

Nice one Emag, I’m eager to see quali now, could be that it’s all just fallen into place for Merc this weekend, similar to Brazil ‘22

Dafnalina
Dafnalina

Emag wrote:
08 Jun 2024, 20:10
https://i.imgur.com/P9GB16S.png

Bad hairpin by Lando and obviously the exit out of the last chicane. Other than that, he is losing massively out of exits in the first sector. Almost all losses are there.

Nothing suspicious in the telemetry to be honest, Lewis just looks really strong.
He did that every flying lap though, even compared to Oscar when he got a better exit. I don't know why.

organic

McLaren and red bull 8th and 9th on top speed. Something tells me that won't be the case in quali

mwillems

Looking at Oscars telemetry there is a deliberate holding back of the throttle which looks more than a lack of traction. Not saying that if he put his foot down he'd find the traction, but at least part of it looks to be not pushing and he made a mistake or took it easy at the last corner and lost 2 tenths. Also, when I see us dropping into gears lower than what Max is dropping into it, it also makes me thing they have time in the bank.

It's a big gap though, so there is a lot to do. Hopefully they were really not pushing much.
I'm not taking advice from a cartoon dog

-Bandit

mwillems

organic wrote:
08 Jun 2024, 20:32
https://i.imgur.com/2zk7TKm.jpeg

McLaren and red bull 8th and 9th on top speed. Something tells me that won't be the case in quali
On Max' fastest lap he was 1kph down on the Mclaren and the Ferrari 2kph up on the Mclaren, which is more like what we'll see in Qualy, not quite sure where this RB Speed number is from, it disagrees with F1-Tempo. Max get's 325 at the fastest point, 1kph more than shown below, and Perez gets 329. But you can see that on the fastest laps they are all very close. Of the cars that count, top speeds are all very similar.

Edit I saw the blue RB and thought it was Red Bull

None the less, speed is fine relative to the top 4.
Last edited by mwillems on 08 Jun 2024, 21:50, edited 4 times in total.

-Bandit

FittingMechanics
FittingMechanics

Mercedes has these false dawns every race. I am not concerned.

Leclerc was very unhappy during FP3.

Verstappen looked decent but he hit the wall if I heard correctly.

Our guys looked fine, similar to other races in FP3, not always the best times but doing well. I am optimistic as always.

Emag
Emag

It's gonna be mixed conditions at best for quali. So frustrating to be honest, I really wanted this one to be dry. Pretty much takes away any chance of knowing where exactly McLaren stands against rivals on a more normal track and whether or not Mercedes' pace is real.

Darth-Piekus

Well if it rains there is a chance we can get the upper hand due to our car warming the tyres better than the rest. Let's do a quick lap to get time and good luck to both drivers.
Piastri has to go out again.

mwillems

We're in with a shout of a dry Quali, hopefully the rain holds off.

We look neck and neck with Merc but behind RB

-Bandit

CjC
CjC

Emag wrote:
08 Jun 2024, 21:54
It's gonna be mixed conditions at best for quali. So frustrating to be honest, I really wanted this one to be dry. Pretty much takes away any chance of knowing where exactly McLaren stands against rivals on a more normal track and whether or not Mercedes' pace is real.
Looks like Mercs pace is real here.
Looks like McLaren are slightly on the back foot?

Emag
Emag

Oscar not looking on top form here. Missing a couple of tenths to Lando. That second lap was good, but it was a second lap and those tires are done for now. Might be crippled in Q3.

Emag
Emag

Emag wrote:
08 Jun 2024, 22:21
Oscar not looking on top form here. Missing a couple of tenths to Lando. That second lap was good, but it was a second lap and those tires are done for now. Might be crippled in Q3.
Still early to call it in Q1, Lando seems like he has a little bit more pace, but absolutely Merc is looking quite competitive here.