2024 Mercedes-AMG | Petronas F1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
Spoutnik
Spoutnik

Re: 2024 Mercedes-AMG | Petronas F1 Team

Russell did the same thing in Hungary 2022 with the same condition (low temp + green track) and in the race he end up behind Lewis who was starting P7. Don't need to worry really, Lewis is nowhere in qualy these day but we can count on him in race pace he's still one of the very best at it. Russell is a beast over one lap, I just hope his race pace will be decent tomorrow. Each driver have their own strenght

Hammerfist
Hammerfist

Without the tow it would have been another bloody verstappen pole. So well done George but for me Max is still favorite to win. Hamilton qualifying has been subpar for a while now. No more excuses.
Last edited by Hammerfist on 08 Jun 2024, 23:30, edited 1 time in total.

Cs98
Cs98

Luscion wrote:
08 Jun 2024, 23:19
Man this thread just turns into people talking crapping on the drivers after every quali.

George got a tow from the start of the straight all the way to the finish line, Lewis was up on George until the last sector where George got the tow, Russell was around, iirc, 9kph faster than lewis on the straight because of it. They then went out of fresh softs and neither could improve because of the wind picking up. had Russell not gotten that tow both him and Lewis would be p6 and p7
Let's not peddle inaccuracies to detract, especially when you open your comment complaining about the state of the thread. George's second run was 26 ms from pole and would've been good enough for P3. George was just under 3 tenths faster than Lewis on both runs.

matt_b
matt_b

Luscion wrote:
George got a tow from the start of the straight all the way to the finish line, Lewis was up on George until the last sector where George got the tow, Russell was around, iirc, 9kph faster than lewis on the straight because of it. They then went out of fresh softs and neither could improve because of the wind picking up. had Russell not gotten that tow both him and Lewis would be p6 and p7
I initially thought the same but George did a 1:12.026 on his second run which included a Purple 28.971 in sector 3 (No tow from anyone) which would've been P3.

Lewis just couldn't match George in that final sector despite having a fresh engine and did a personal best (29.216). I will need to look where he was losing all that time because if he matched George in that sector he would've been up there.
Last edited by matt_b on 08 Jun 2024, 23:41, edited 1 time in total.

venkyhere
venkyhere

venkyhere wrote:
08 Jun 2024, 20:31
Redbull spending more time on throttle and brakes, and less time in corners than Merc.
Mostly likely it means Merc had turned up the engine more and Redbull was very conservative with braking input.
Thank goodness I used "most likely" in my reckoning earlier. My bad nevertheless. It wasn't engine mode afterall, in FP3. Fine job bringing up the car to where it's natural fighting area is - at the front. Looks like their decision to STOP EXPERIMENTING OVER THE RACE WEEKEND and make only small changes one by one, has paid dividends. Better late than never.

Will be a great opening lap tomorrow. In the track interview Max said in reply to tomorrow's lap1 T1 question - "we will think about it. I am not stressed". That sounded ominous, maybe race pace is the ace they have up their sleeve, over Mercs.
Last edited by venkyhere on 08 Jun 2024, 23:36, edited 1 time in total.

Mansell89
Mansell89

Crikey I thought this thread would be celebratory on the back of that- how wrong I was!

Have we got any long run data worth any salt?

Tvetovnato
Tvetovnato

Luscion wrote:
Man this thread just turns into people talking crapping on the drivers after every quali.

This is a fair analysis, even though I doubt Hamilton’s lap would have been quicker anyway. In reality, only a couple of hundredths difference likely in George’s favour. Still, George put the lap in when he needed to. Great job!

Luscion
Luscion

Mansell89 wrote:
08 Jun 2024, 23:35
Crikey I thought this thread would be celebratory on the back of that- how wrong I was!

This is the only thing i could find on long runs, dont know how much its worth though

ringo

Hammerfist wrote:
08 Jun 2024, 23:29
Without the tow it would have been another bloody verstappen pole. So well done George but for me Max is still favorite to win. Hamilton qualifying has been subpar for a while now. No more excuses.
I think this time, based on data and the commentators, it was just bad luck. he had 2 purple mini sectors. The yellows were all because of the degrading conditions.
Russel went earlier when things were better, and also had a tow.
So I would not really bash Lewis this time. Let's see how the race goes. But I am glad he does feel better in the car, and we can see it. No experimenting and no excuses. The pace is there, just a poorly managed session. Look on what happened to Ferrari.
For Sure!!

SKYnRacing24

ringo wrote:
08 Jun 2024, 23:21
SKYnRacing24 wrote:
08 Jun 2024, 23:16
Lewis will be second guessing himself now before his ferrari stint. This track is his back yard and has lost in qualy 8-1 now . This --- is brutal. He has no excuses now.
It's not that bad. the gap was only 2 tenths, plus he was yellow in all 3 sectors. If he was green, then I would be more worried.
The car was the best car today, but that Q3 session turned things into a lottery.
He can still win. This race is a very long one. George does have what it takes to win in terms of skill. He has proven as much in Brazil. The risk is how measured he is.

The Mclarens and Max are a huge threat for the win.
Nah a podium is out of the question let alone a win. IF its changeable conditions then maybe but he has alot of good drivers infront with equal performanced cars. Just watched his interview and his answers are troubling, he has no clue whats going on with the pace. He keeps banging on about practice sessions for some reason but bro its " PRACTICE " you dont really know where your competitors pace stands or whos holding back. Didnt know this is his first time hes qualified outside the top 5 since he started in 2007. Grim statistics are grim.

The more i think about it the more im convinced Russell was struggling with last years car more than Lewis and whatever changes they have made to the W15 has been right up his street. Yes Lewis has his racepace but Russell isn't that far away from him. The side by side was revealing. Lewis looks like he can't hustle a car in qualy trim compared to Russell and its something he won't fix as he's leaving.

I generally can't see him turning it around. Its been a running theme all year apart from Japan. Russell has more envelop to put this car in places Lewis can't.
Last edited by SKYnRacing24 on 08 Jun 2024, 23:57, edited 1 time in total.
“And that’s part of the game, is being able to be adaptive, and we’ve got this new car – I don’t know how it’s going to handle, hopefully she’s great.”

denyall

Great progress for Merc. Really excited to see what comes tomorrow and the next few races. Hopefully we some cool podiums with so many teams in the mix.

Challenging Q3, Mr. Saturday delivers as always.
Last edited by CMSMJ1 on 10 Jun 2024, 17:41, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Removed silly line - PM'd

Luscion
Luscion

SKYnRacing24 wrote:
08 Jun 2024, 23:56
ringo wrote:
08 Jun 2024, 23:21
SKYnRacing24 wrote:
08 Jun 2024, 23:16
Lewis will be second guessing himself now before his ferrari stint. This track is his back yard and has lost in qualy 8-1 now . This --- is brutal. He has no excuses now.
It's not that bad. the gap was only 2 tenths, plus he was yellow in all 3 sectors. If he was green, then I would be more worried.
The car was the best car today, but that Q3 session turned things into a lottery.
He can still win. This race is a very long one. George does have what it takes to win in terms of skill. He has proven as much in Brazil. The risk is how measured he is.

The Mclarens and Max are a huge threat for the win.
Nah a podium is out of the question let alone a win. IF its changeable conditions then maybe but he has alot of good drivers infront with equal performanced cars. Just watched his interview and his answers are troubling, he has no clue whats going on with the pace. He keeps banging on about practice sessions for some reason but bro its " PRACTICE " you dont really know where your competitors pace stands or whos holding back. Didnt know this is his first time hes qualified outside the top 5 since he started in 2007. Grim statistics are grim.

The more i think about it the more im convinced Russell was struggling with last years car more than Lewis and whatever changes they have made to the W15 has been right up his street. Yes Lewis has his racepace but Russell isn't that far away from him. The side by side was revealing. Lewis looks like he can't hustle a car in qualy trim compared to Russell and its something he won't fix as he's leaving.

I generally can't see him turning it around. Its been a running theme all year apart from Japan. Russell has more envelop to put this car in places Lewis can't.

Him saying he lost grip in quali and they changed nothing on the car is interesting, maybe that changes for him come race time. Hopefully George can keep Max behind and Lewis can move up but not much to go off of on the long runs

organic

Luscion wrote:
08 Jun 2024, 23:49
https://i.imgur.com/967YsaM.jpeg

going off on this Lewis was up a good bit on Russell and lost it all in S3, either Lewis messed up there or that tow was worth quite a bit (for some reason this doesnt show the S3 times)
uhh those sector times aren't representative. 24.2 in sector 1 is like 3-4s off the pace

That image is showing the sector times of cooldown laps/non-push

Luscion
Luscion

organic wrote:
09 Jun 2024, 00:30
Luscion wrote:
08 Jun 2024, 23:49
https://i.imgur.com/967YsaM.jpeg

going off on this Lewis was up a good bit on Russell and lost it all in S3, either Lewis messed up there or that tow was worth quite a bit (for some reason this doesnt show the S3 times)
uhh those sector times aren't representative. 24.2 in sector 1 is like 3-4s off the pace

That image is showing the sector times of cooldown laps/non-push
Yea, I'll wait until someone more reliable posts the sector times

Mansell89
Mansell89

Luscion wrote:
08 Jun 2024, 23:39
Mansell89 wrote:
08 Jun 2024, 23:35

This is the only thing i could find on long runs, dont know how much its worth though

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/GPkcs68agAA ... name=small
Thanks man!