2024 Scuderia Ferrari F1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
Cs98
Cs98

Re: 2024 Scuderia Ferrari F1 Team

I thought this was the sort of track Ferrari needed to beat RB to have any shot in the WCC/WDC hunt, safe to say it will take a miracle now. McLaren now look a big threat.

dia6olo
dia6olo

Xyz22 wrote:
10 Jun 2024, 09:38
SoulPancake13 wrote:
10 Jun 2024, 04:38
Xyz22 wrote:
10 Jun 2024, 03:22

That was just a colossal gamble considering the race was completely lost. They were not sure they would have fixed the engine issue.

In any event the goal is to keep improving. Highly likely that McL will be 2nd best this year which sound’t be a surprise considering last year they were almost 1s quicker than Ferrari in real tracks. They probably started the year with a conservative car and Ferrari historically has been able to start the season with relatively better package. Their upgrade has been massive and put them into a position to often challenge for the win. We had 2 chances to win and we did it, which was important.
I somewhat disagree. Yes, Ferrari had a bad weekend, I won't deny that, but Imola showed that the Ferrari is not miles off the McLaren(and according to Charles they didn't maximize the setup, another tenth puts Leclerc at the same pace there). What the car needs now is the ability to generate temps for the qualifying lap, which is supposed to be addressed at Silverstone. After that, I think we should see who will be 2nd best, but until then, the car is still competitive in the hotter conditions which we should hopefully see in Barcelona. This is too much of a knee jerk reaction to the past races IMO. There is no doubt McLaren is second best or even best right now though, just that a widening of the operating window and getting better at putting some energy into the tyres could go a long way.
It's possible that in some tracks we'll be close or even faster than McL but we need to start looking at the "bigger picture". McL has been the most consistent car in the last few races. Look how slow Ferrari was in Canada.

There is a lot of work to do.
But that was the case last year too after McLaren's upgrade.
We got the same knee jerk reaction then too which was basically game over, but yet Ferrari outscored McLaren over the second half of the season even with their mega upgrade, they actually outscored everyone bar Red Bull.

IMO there is a knee jerk reaction by some when looking at the bigger picture because when I look at it, the work needed is not all that big.

What I see when I look at the bigger picture, is a car that generally looks after it's tyres very well, arguably better than all and a car that has got enough pace to mix it at the front in most conditions.
I don't see Ferrari requiring a lot of work at all with regards to getting ahead of McLaren, I feel the step towards Red Bull is the one that still needs some very good work because contrary to what some think, I still think Red Bull are at least 1 step ahead of McLaren.

MattLightBlue
MattLightBlue

Vasseur mentioned something about tyre pressure between quali and race, can someone tell me if it could be related to suspension stiffness and dry-wet conditions?
Also, I am not very happy about how they managed the communication with Charles during the engine issues moments: I think he should be allowed to know more than telling him “don’t worry and keep pushing”.

dia6olo
dia6olo

MattLightBlue wrote:
10 Jun 2024, 12:30
Vasseur mentioned something about tyre pressure between quali and race, can someone tell me if it could be related to suspension stiffness and dry-wet conditions?
Also, I am not very happy about how they managed the communication with Charles during the engine issues moments: I think he should be allowed to know more than telling him “don’t worry and keep pushing”.
You have to take into account that the radio channels are open to all.
There are some things best left unsaid over the radio because they will simply aid the competition if said.

LM10
LM10

This thread is by far the most ridiculous on this forum. I missed the weekend and usually I read all posts I missed, but this time I just stopped. I find it increasingly hard to follow this thread. People going crazy and crying around because of an off-weekend, changing their mind about Ferrari’s performance level week in week out based on singularity which a race weekend is. What a joke.

The car is still the same and it’s not gonna lose performance 2 weeks later. Such big performance losses are always because of setup/tyre issues - like RedBull in Singapore last year for example. This does not mean that the SF-24 suddenly turned into a weak car or Ferrari into a weak team.

Stop overreacting and appreciate the work this young and evolving team has done under Vasseur instead of being disrespectful and questioning their seriousness or competence. They’ve overcome many difficulties and paved the way for future success.
Last edited by LM10 on 10 Jun 2024, 19:48, edited 1 time in total.

Vinlarr89
Vinlarr89

Overall the car is very good IMO. However the trade off to get the tyres to have such low deg has created an issue on cold tracks where it cannot switch the tyres on effectively.

Still think that there’s a long way to go this year, and the warmer European circuits should help this issue. I’m sure FER are working on improving this through the second update.

Xyz22
Xyz22

You guys saw how quick the McL was on inters? The difference with the others was embarrassing. In the second part of the first stint even Piastri who usually struggles with tyre management was lapping way faster than both MB and RB. Crazy stuff considering how dominant the RB19 and RB18 were in these conditions.

LM10
LM10

Xyz22 wrote:
10 Jun 2024, 14:59
You guys saw how quick the McL was on inters? The difference with the others was embarrassing. In the second part of the first stint even Piastri who usually struggles with tyre management was lapping way faster than both MB and RB. Crazy stuff considering how dominant the RB19 and RB18 were in these conditions.
Yes, much embarrassing, much wow.

Xyz22
Xyz22

LM10 wrote:
10 Jun 2024, 15:03
Xyz22 wrote:
Yes, much embarrassing, much wow.
By "embarrassing" i meant that the difference in performance was really huge and i didn't expect it to be considering past seasons where RB was easily the class of the field. Lando gained like 4s in just a few laps on Max ?

dia6olo
dia6olo

Xyz22 wrote:
McLaren currently have a car that appears to generate very good tyre heat, it is very evident in cool conditions.
However, there is a good chance of that translating into a car that is going to overheat the tyres in warmer conditions resulting in degradation.
We have yet to see the McLaren in warmer climates on tracks were degradation is a thing.
Mercedes themselves have also liked the cooler conditions for the best part of 2/3 years now and looked somewhat capable in those conditions only to disappear again in normal conditions...

There is a long way to go and things will change again and again, the only thing I don't really see changing is that Red Bull and Max will still win the bulk of the remaining races.
Last edited by dia6olo on 11 Jun 2024, 04:00, edited 2 times in total.

CaribouBread
CaribouBread

Quite the disaster of a weekend for our lads in red. :( Not much to add on that front.

Looking at the general picture however, I think we'd be remiss to underestimate Mclaren's performance or look at our weak weekends with rose tinted glasses searching for caveats. Tunnel vision regarding Red Bull's results might make us blind to the shifting performance landscape.

Anyways, I hope Barcelona is warm and sunny :-D so we can have a representative measure of where we stand before the next upgrade cycle.

dialtone
dialtone

2024 Scuderia Ferrari F1 Team

Apparently LEC lost 80hp due to issue, I remember when RBR said that PER lost 30kw for an engine problem in Miami and it wasn’t even remotely close to this level of loss except for a handful of laps.

If that was a sensor issue, i think somehow RBR has a system that allows sensor override or reboot in the car while Ferrari has to stop everything and restart the car. Would be interesting to know what went wrong there, hard to imagine it’s anything but a sensor issue given that he recovered speed later.

MCL is a very balanced car I think, good trade off between temperature and tire life, I do think the low temperatures of these races are somewhat flattering the car but there’s no doubt with a long season including cold races like Vegas it’s going to be helpful to be in their position.

This race made it obvious how much tire temperature matters and how close all the cars are to one another. Just a couple more psi or few degs on track can have a massive impact on performance. I understand Pirelli adjusts pressure for safety but honestly that they are always off lower just tells me they need to update their fricking models and maybe be off higher for once, their deviation on that error is either procedural or incompetence.

Anyway bad weekend yeah, I’m personally more upset about losing 1% power over 250kph at lemans. A bad weekend happens to all, Leclerc asked for the hards during the pitstop and it was the only option to attempt at getting points, it really rained only 5 minutes, it made sense and it has nothing to so with Binotto. Why the setup was wrong and they couldn’t fix it is more the issue to me.

Seanspeed
Seanspeed

catent wrote:
10 Jun 2024, 02:45
Ferrari does not need a “miraculously transformative upgrade” to compete with McLaren for WCC; Ferrari need to widen the operating window and improve performance in cooler temps.

Ferrari still leads McLaren in WCC and had their first dud weekend of the season, where everything that could go wrong, did. One bad (and unlucky) weekend does not make a race season. People are understandably disappointed but I think there are some significant overreactions and kneejerk hot takes following Montreal.
The current point standings dont relate to the current competitive picture at all, and that's what is most important to look at, because that points situation will change if the car doesn't get quite a bit better. I'm not just talking about raw pace either, I'm talking about eradicating weaknesses, because we're now up against both a clearly faster Red Bull, but also a Mclaren that is faster and has no weaknesses. That's very tough to deal with, and Ferrari will likely find itself regularly racing for 3rd-6th instead of 1st-3rd, especially at any places that will highlight Ferrari's issues.

We cannot rely on just having super favorable tracks/situations for the whole rest of the year, because it's not gonna happen. And even in these better situations, the Mclaren is right there now, equal or even slightly ahead.

So yes, Ferrari actually does need a more transformative update. I'm not saying it needs to be some giant overhaul of the whole car, but something needs to happen to get on top of the issues or else holding onto 2nd in the WCC/WDC is not going to last long.

ferkan
ferkan

LM10 wrote:
10 Jun 2024, 12:43
This thread is by far the most ridiculous on this forum. I missed the weekend and usually I read all posts I missed, but this time I just stopped. I find it increasingly hard to follow this thread. People going crazy and crying around because of an off-weekend, changing their mind about Ferrari’s performance level week in week out based on singularity which a race weekend is. What a joke.

The car is still the same and it’s not gonna lose performance 2 weeks later. Such big performance losses are always because of setup/tyre issues - like RedBull in Singapore last year for example. This does not mean that the SF-24 suddenly turned into a weak car or Ferrari into a weak team.

Stop overreacting and appreciate the work this young and evolving team has done under Vasseur instead of being disrespectful and questioning their seriousness or competence. They’ve overcome many difficulties and paved the way for future success.
Car has been slower then Mclaren ever since China, here in particular (in fact, against Merc as well, by big amount). Its worrying no doubt and Ferraris upgrade clearly didnt deliver results to match Mclaren.

Another suspicion I had was that Mclaren was faster then Ferrari in Monaco but Leclerc is downright unbeatable there in quali hence Oscar qualified second (however he had best ideal lap).

Merc is bringing new floor at Spain. I have a nagging feeling they will suddenly start to beat Ferrari more frequently, it seems their FW transformed their car completely.

edu2703
edu2703

Monaco was a one-off race just like Canada was. Leclerc would have won if I had been driving a Sauber as it is impossible to overtake and McLaren looked strong there.

While the other teams have brought updates and improved with them, Ferrari seems to have not improved at all with the Imola upgrades, being exactly behind Red Bull and McLaren as they were in Miami without them.

At the current moment, I see Red Bull and McLaren are ahead of Ferrari with very similar paces. And I also feel that we are closer to being overtaken by Mercedes than we are getting closer to Red Bull and McLaren.

Another thing is that the SF-24 only performs well in dry and hot track conditions. We cannot trust that all races from now on will be on a dry and hot track, especially when Red Bull and McLaren seem to perform well in any track condition.