2024 Mercedes-AMG | Petronas F1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
maygun
maygun

Re: 2024 Mercedes-AMG | Petronas F1 Team

Luscion wrote:
10 Jun 2024, 19:54
maygun wrote:
10 Jun 2024, 19:44
ringo wrote:
10 Jun 2024, 18:48
Why were hamiltons tyre warmers 2 degrees colder. What's really going on in this team?
Systematic handicapping?
Strange. But lets hope they sort themselves out for the next race.
If Lewis going to moan like this rest of the season, Toto should find a solution to shut either him or his fans.

Nothing is perfect in any of the laps, or sessions. There would be always some minor/major problems on either side of the garage. If he cannot put the tyres to a sweet spot just because of the 1-2 degree difference, I think he should question himself also.

Using these minor stuff as excuses for his poor performance would not be very useful in Italy for him.
Him giving a reason for why his tires werent working is not him moaning. George was faster than him during quali but he was topping the times with him until his last run in Q3 where neither of them could improve on their times.

End of Q1 - Ham P3, RUS P7
End of Q2 - RUS P1, HAM P2
First runs in Q3 - RUS P1, HAM P2

He's also not using this as an excuse, he has blamed himself for his performance in Canada multiples times, both after qualifying and after the race. There can be circumstances that didnt help his performance and him also not doing the best that he can, which he admitted to, the two are not mutually exclusive.

His first comment: the car is not the same when he is going to qualifying. He is saying this maybe 3rd or 4th time this season. This is moaning.

I used to be a huge Lewis fan, but his attitude, especially in the last 1.5 years, does not suit a 7-time world champion.

He also knows what kind of reaction he is getting from his fan base from this ----stirring, look at any Merc social media comments, all of his fans believe that he is getting sabotaged, every race, every qualifying session.

The team is also probably aware of this agenda, and the toxicity that he is creating. I am sure everyone would be more at peace when he officially out from the team.

Luscion
Luscion

maygun wrote:
10 Jun 2024, 20:14
Luscion wrote:
10 Jun 2024, 19:54
maygun wrote:
10 Jun 2024, 19:44

If Lewis going to moan like this rest of the season, Toto should find a solution to shut either him or his fans.

Nothing is perfect in any of the laps, or sessions. There would be always some minor/major problems on either side of the garage. If he cannot put the tyres to a sweet spot just because of the 1-2 degree difference, I think he should question himself also.

Using these minor stuff as excuses for his poor performance would not be very useful in Italy for him.
Him giving a reason for why his tires werent working is not him moaning. George was faster than him during quali but he was topping the times with him until his last run in Q3 where neither of them could improve on their times.

End of Q1 - Ham P3, RUS P7
End of Q2 - RUS P1, HAM P2
First runs in Q3 - RUS P1, HAM P2

He's also not using this as an excuse, he has blamed himself for his performance in Canada multiples times, both after qualifying and after the race. There can be circumstances that didnt help his performance and him also not doing the best that he can, which he admitted to, the two are not mutually exclusive.

His first comment: the car is not the same when he is going to qualifying. He is saying this maybe 3rd or 4th time this season. This is moaning.

I used to be a huge Lewis fan, but his attitude, especially in the last 1.5 years, does not suit a 7-time world champion.

He also knows what kind of reaction he is getting from his fan base from this ----stirring, look at any Merc social media comments, all of his fans believe that he is getting sabotaged, every race, every qualifying session.

The team is also probably aware of this agenda, and the toxicity that he is creating. I am sure everyone would be more at peace when he officially out from the team.
Him blaming himself for his performance in both quali and in the race

Matt2725
Matt2725

He is but he's also making cryptic, easy to misinterpret comments such as about the tyre blankets.

I wouldn't be surprised if he's told to knock it off behind closed doors. Toto said in the past he has no issue sidelining him or any other driver. Maybe give Fred Vesti a race weekend if Lewis can't help himself.

mkay
mkay

Matt2725 wrote:
10 Jun 2024, 22:29
He is but he's also making cryptic, easy to misinterpret comments such as about the tyre blankets.

I wouldn't be surprised if he's told to knock it off behind closed doors. Toto said in the past he has no issue sidelining him or any other driver. Maybe give Fred Vesti a race weekend if Lewis can't help himself.
I think that's really down to your interpretation, and your own personal bias(es).

The last bit in bold is hyperbole at its finest.

Matt2725
Matt2725

mkay wrote:
10 Jun 2024, 22:32
Matt2725 wrote:

I think that's really down to your interpretation, and your own personal bias(es).

Is it?

I'll always be 2 tenths slower. My tyres were always 2-3 degrees colder than they should have been.

He's doing exactly what he did when he was alongside and being challenged by Jenson Button and Nico Rosberg. He's paranoid and he's fuelling his fanbase to spread conspiracies, and accusations of sabotage as they've been doing since his post quali interview in Monaco.

For the good of the team, he should be told to knock it off or risk being sat out in my personal opinion.

chrisc90

Matt2725 wrote:
10 Jun 2024, 22:48
mkay wrote:
Matt2725 wrote:

Is it?

I'll always be 2 tenths slower. My tyres were always 2-3 degrees colder than they should have been.

He's doing exactly what he did when he was alongside and being challenged by Jenson Button and Nico Rosberg. He's paranoid and he's fuelling his fanbase to spread conspiracies, and accusations of sabotage as they've been doing since his post quali interview in Monaco.

For the good of the team, he should be told to knock it off or risk being sat out in my personal opinion.
Surely the tyre temp data on the steering wheel will tell Lewis exactly where he needs to tyres to be at temperature wise before he starts his quali lap. Red Bull seem to have a similar system in place with different tyre models through the steering wheel, so wouldnt surprise me if Mercedes didnt have similar.
Its a driver and race engineers responsibility to get the tyres in just the right window before commencing a qualifying lap.

organic

chrisc90 wrote:
10 Jun 2024, 22:53
Matt2725 wrote:
10 Jun 2024, 22:48
mkay wrote:

Is it?

Surely the tyre temp data on the steering wheel will tell Lewis exactly where he needs to tyres to be at temperature wise before he starts his quali lap. Red Bull seem to have a similar system in place with different tyre models through the steering wheel, so wouldnt surprise me if Mercedes didnt have similar.
Its a driver and race engineers responsibility to get the tyres in just the right window before commencing a qualifying lap.
He was complaining about the tyres being below temperature in the blankets for the race, meaning a worse outlap and longer to time to get up to temp which does cost laptime especially in the mixed conditions

AR3-GP
AR3-GP

How likely is it that in 8 different races, there are 8 perfect excuses for why Hamilton is not ahead of Russell in qualifying? Let us be serious. It doesn't matter to me, but as an outsider this looks like a parody thread. Those who have watched Hamilton over his career know that this discussion is nonsense. It's a psychological matter. Hamilton's entire mood and perspective in any given weekend is dependent on whether he is ahead of his teammate. When he is, the car is amazing and he's so happy to be here. When he is not, the excuses come. This is fine. A champion must believe no one can drive faster than him, but people need to see it for what it is.

Luscion
Luscion

People said he was making excuses, He admits he was the problem this weekend even if they had issues while also saying he just needs to sort his head out and somehow thats still not good enough.

AR3-GP
AR3-GP

Luscion wrote:
10 Jun 2024, 23:14
People said he was making excuses, He admits he was the problem this weekend even if they had issues while also saying he just needs to sort his head out and somehow thats still not good enough.
My comment is not a response to Hamilton. Hamilton himself knows the reality. My comment is to those eager to post excuses to the Mercedes team thread for 8 straight qualifying sessions. It reads as divorced from reality after the 3rd time, let alone the 8th time.

makecry
makecry

ringo wrote:
10 Jun 2024, 18:48
Why were hamiltons tyre warmers 2 degrees colder. What's really going on in this team?
Systematic handicapping?
Strange. But lets hope they sort themselves out for the next race.
Lewis really does know he is doing when he says this things.

ringo

2 degrees is a lot of temperature to make up.

I think the media creates hyperbole with a qualifying head to head.

8 to 1. Wow. Lewis is being smashed by George!
All things being equal we are talking about hundreths. In Canada clearly many things went wrong outside of his driving.
The wind, track temp and now we are hearing the setback with tyre temperatures.
Every little thing matters in formula 1.

Nonethless, I still say he finishes ahead end of season. Now is the time for the teething pains and realization of what's going on in the team.

When he says he needs to sort out his head. I think that's the best move he's done all year.
Re-calibrate to driving like Ocon. Lol
That's the order of the day for Lewis. Get selfish and desperate on the track. The qualy times will come. He once said he was the hungriest driver. That's no longer the case. There are 17 guys who are not champions racing for years wanting to prove themselves.
He also needs to train like the young guys. Do sim racing. Join the communities and learn what these guys do like their techniques and prep work etc. Put down the adult life and pick up the racing nerd culture.
For Sure!!

Bill
Bill

ringo wrote:
11 Jun 2024, 01:34
2 degrees is a lot of temperature to make up.

I think the media creates hyperbole with a qualifying head to head.

8 to 1. Wow. Lewis is being smashed by George!
All things being equal we are talking about hundreths. In Canada clearly many things went wrong outside of his driving.
The wind, track temp and now we are hearing the setback with tyre temperatures.
Every little thing matters in formula 1.

Nonethless, I still say he finishes ahead end of season. Now is the time for the teething pains and realization of what's going on in the team.

When he says he needs to sort out his head. I think that's the best move he's done all year.
Re-calibrate to driving like Ocon. Lol
That's the order of the day for Lewis. Get selfish and desperate on the track. The qualy times will come. He once said he was the hungriest driver. That's no longer the case. There are 17 guys who are not champions racing for years wanting to prove themselves.
He also needs to train like the young guys. Do sim racing. Join the communities and learn what these guys do like their techniques and prep work etc. Put down the adult life and pick up the racing nerd culture.
let not kid ourself here mr Saturday still cant manage the tires .the quality that make him quick are his weakness over race distance.lewis will come on top by year end.

Dunlay
Dunlay

Luscion wrote:
I don't know why it is necessary for Lewis to prove anything to anyone. He is leaving and it hardly matters if he is ahead or behind George. He shouldn't lose his mind over the reason for finishing behind George as it could only influence the thoughts of sabotage.

However, Lewis's remarks, regardless of his intentions, are fueling intense reactions from his devoted fans on social media. I came across a tweet from a journalist stating that Mercedes' PR team has instructed the Mercedes Twitter admin to unfollow Lewis fan accounts due to the escalating aggression and abuse. Thankfully, this platform is closely moderated, maintaining a level of respect in discussions. If Lewis refrains from justifying his position behind George, the situation could potentially improve significantly.

Cs98
Cs98

Dunlay wrote:
11 Jun 2024, 13:37
Luscion wrote:
I don't know why it is necessary for Lewis to prove anything to anyone. He is leaving and it hardly matters if he is ahead or behind George. He shouldn't lose his mind over the reason for finishing behind George as it could only influence the thoughts of sabotage.

However, Lewis's remarks, regardless of his intentions, are fueling intense reactions from his devoted fans on social media. I came across a tweet from a journalist stating that Mercedes' PR team has instructed the Mercedes Twitter admin to unfollow Lewis fan accounts due to the escalating aggression and abuse. Thankfully, this platform is closely moderated, maintaining a level of respect in discussions. If Lewis refrains from justifying his position behind George, the situation could potentially improve significantly.
Name of the journalist?