2024 Oracle Red Bull Racing F1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
organic

Re: 2024 Oracle Red Bull Racing F1 Team

Can't really foresee any curbing issues in the next 6 grand Prix, except maybe Austria.

Barcelona, Austria, Silverstone, Hungary, Spa, Zandvoort

Need to do some strong point scoring with both cars for WCC in this period before it gets tricky again

Afterwards is Monza, Baku, Singapore, COTA, Mexico, Interlagos, Vegas, Qatar, Abu Dhabi

Of those final 9 I can only see a couple where the rb20 in current form wouldn't struggle. Singapore, Vegas and Mexico will be dire

venkyhere
venkyhere

Emag wrote:
11 Jun 2024, 08:06
In this particular example, Verstappen has absolutely nailed the corner, telemetry wise, but are you absolutely certain that this lap was one of those where he was "straight" out of the exit?
Not exactly 'this' telemetry trace which I posted, but another trace of the pole-tie laps from the two of them whose telemetry trace looks very similar to this, but also has video footage help where we can see that VER was straighter out of the exit.

The pole lap traces for T10 hairpin :
We can see both of them come off the throttle around the same time, however, VER is back on full throttle slightly earlier than RUS, saving 0.139s from the corner alone, despite a lower minimum speed (58 vs 61 kph). The marker is at a point where VER has achieved almost same speed as RUS at the exit. We can say this marker denotes the exit, since both of them are at full throttle by now. Whatever time is regained by RUS thereafter is simply the drag benefit of his car due to lower wing.

I agree that the higher downforce in the RB20 is helping VER brake harder, but somewhere in the middle of the speeds between 150-100kph, the speed of air has reduced enough where mechanical grip dominates rather than aero grip. The "lower part of v" in the speed trace has steeper down&up slopes for VER than RUS. This is because he is putting more slip angle into his tyres and getting better purchase of mechanical grip from them (by turning really sharpy), enabling him to turn sharper and 'straighten the exit earlier' than RUS.

The below screenshots from Formula1's pole lap comparison video will show exactly what I am trying to convey through text.

Tighter 'entry' into the corner by VER, the 'compromised/poorer' of the two entries :

Much more aggressive steering angle, well into the turn :

Even more steering :

RUS is understeering now, due to higher minimal speed whilst VER is hitting the apex with a mega steering lock :

At the exit, VER is more 'straightened' than RUS :

What the video shows and what the traces don't show, is the 'rotation' difference. I think the key to this is the difference in the way in which both drivers come off the throttle and modulate the brakes. We can even see there is a small 'no pedals' duration after coming off the brakes before re-applying throttle, for VER.

The traces show brake application as binary 'ON/OFF' - as we all know, that is never the case, there has to be some clever brake modulation (trail braking) in sync with steering application going on, that is 'just right' to achieve better rotation. Unfortunately, the traces are not showing it. This is where I think VER is doing a better job than RUS and this is at speeds that are in the early 3 digits or late 2 digits, where 'aero' grip is not much. I have even seen traces of LEC where he is doing both trail braking and throttle application simulteanously, whilst in the middle of turning the steering by large angles. Front v/s rear trapeze artist like "balancing" I guess.

Emag wrote:
11 Jun 2024, 08:06
Either way, there is some car performance on top of driver ability that plays a role as well. RedBull might just simply be better than Mercedes on braking and slow-speed rotation, making it easier for Max to get this ideal execution.
Of course, the suspension has to be conducive to this as well. It's both the car and the driver. I just wanted to emphasise the role of the driver from the video screenshots and traces. By minimizing the duration over which the car is rotating, is also giving VER the additional benefit of tyre life, I feel.

Just_a_fan wrote:
11 Jun 2024, 10:37
That image is exactly what one would expect from a car with more downforce - able to brake later (hence on throttle longer). Your lines showing that Ves was on throttle before Rus are erroneous - one can see quite clearly that they were both full throttle at the same time on the throttle trace.
In my earlier post, please note that I used the word early in the text marking in the trace pic, in quotes - "early". I was trying to point out how compared to their corner entry instant (when they come off throttle), VER is relatively earlier getting back on to full throttle than RUS, even though they both are at full throttle at the same absolute instant in time.
Hope this current post with the video screenshots and the pole lap trace, is better illustrating my point.

organic

The above telemetry analysis is way off... This telemetry just reads as Verstappen maximizing time on entry and Russell maximizing his exit (which pays laptime all the way down the straight, not just at exit). Russell's small drag advantage is negligible here.

AR3-GP
AR3-GP

Sorry, random comment here, but didn't Perez pick up damage to his front wing from Gasly on the first lap exiting T2? He does not perform well in wet conditions but there is also a sliver of a mitigating factor involved. :lol:

TimW
TimW

organic wrote:
11 Jun 2024, 18:02
The above telemetry analysis is way off... This telemetry just reads as Verstappen maximizing time on entry and Russell maximizing his exit (which pays laptime all the way down the straight, not just at exit). Russell's small drag advantage is negligible here.

https://i.imgur.com/Z65eAHA.png
IMHO you cannot draw that conclusion from data with this granularity. Shift Verstappen's trace one sample to the left and the conclusions change.

Sergej
Sergej

organic wrote:
11 Jun 2024, 17:42
Can't really foresee any curbing issues in the next 6 grand Prix, except maybe Austria.

Barcelona, Austria, Silverstone, Hungary, Spa, Zandvoort

Need to do some strong point scoring with both cars for WCC in this period before it gets tricky again

Afterwards is Monza, Baku, Singapore, COTA, Mexico, Interlagos, Vegas, Qatar, Abu Dhabi

Of those final 9 I can only see a couple where the rb20 in current form wouldn't struggle. Singapore, Vegas and Mexico will be dire
I think I agree, in Canada the kerb issue was manageable, not optimal but not as bad as Monaco as well, I feel that only Singapore will be a write off, elsewhere the Max factor can make the difference (Perez will be nowhere though)

hopefully in Barcelona there will be some upgrades, today Ferrari PR formu1a.com strikes back announcing a new floor worth 2 tenths, they have a tradition of over-hyping Ferrari upgrades (recently for Imola upgrade which was announced to be over 4 tenths, much less in reality), but let's see, I think it's legit to expect also a strong Ferrari, beside McLaren

AR3-GP
AR3-GP

Las Vegas doesn't have curbs and is not that bumpy. What would be the problem there? Graining?

Singapore and Mexico will not suit them.
Last edited by AR3-GP on 11 Jun 2024, 19:41, edited 2 times in total.

organic

AR3-GP wrote:
11 Jun 2024, 19:35
Las Vegas doesn't have curbs and is not that bumpy. What would be the problem there? Graining?

Vegas does have curbs

AR3-GP
AR3-GP

organic wrote:
11 Jun 2024, 19:41
AR3-GP wrote:
11 Jun 2024, 19:35

Vegas does have curbs

Okay I see :D

What I meant was that to me it's not the worst kind of configuration of curbs for Red Bull. The worst kinds of curbs for Red Bull are these left right esses and left right chicanes with high curbs like Canada (T3/4 and Turn 8/9, Turn 13/14), Monza (1st chicane, 2nd chicane, ascari), Mexico (high speed esses), Brazil (Senna S) . They are especially horrible when you need to really try and make the esses/chicanes shorter by straight lining them but also need the car to stay low to the ground to keep the aero grip. It's the opposite of Suzuka 1st sector snake where the switch back esses are Red Bull's big strength because there's no high curb.

Las Vegas is different. It's mostly just a basic 90 degree corners. Even on Leclerc's pole lap, the curb usage is very tame. He doesn't use them in many places. It's also much smoother than Monaco. If you compare Monaco/Canada/Singapore last year to Las Vegas last year, Las Vegas was a walk in the park.

Last edited by AR3-GP on 12 Jun 2024, 00:33, edited 3 times in total.

Sergej
Sergej

yeah the problem is when you have to cut a very wide and high kerb, this combination is not frequent in the rest of the races

AR3-GP
AR3-GP

For how horrible the car has been with curbs and bumpy tracks, if the silver lining to this compromise doesn't show up on the tracks that are supposed to suit them.... In other words, if Mclaren (and Mercedes) are still there in Barcelona, then the compromises Red Bull made with the stiffness of the car have no purpose. The rival teams would be achieving the same performance without any compromise.
Last edited by AR3-GP on 11 Jun 2024, 20:03, edited 2 times in total.

organic

Sergej wrote:
11 Jun 2024, 19:52
yeah the problem is when you have to cut a very wide and high kerb, this combination is not frequent in the rest of the races
Mexico is one of those
AR3-GP wrote:
11 Jun 2024, 20:00
For how horrible the car has been with curbs and bumpy tracks, if the silver lining to this compromise doesn't show up on the tracks that are supposed to suite them. In other words, if Mclaren (and Mercedes) are still there in Barcelona, then the compromises Red Bull made with the stiffness of the car have no purpose.
Yes but I think they didn't anticipate just how stiff the car is on the curbs. They didn't intend to design a car that can't touch the curbs: we know there isn't correlation with the simulator in terms of interaction with the curbs from what Marko and Max have said. At Canada in free practice they were monitoring the front suspension dynamics and Max has made about 3 statements over the Canada GP weekend that they all sat down after Monaco and figured out a plan. He says they are working for solutions for this year's car but that it will only be wholly fixed for 2025.

So I wouldn't say it's a compromise so much as the car not doing what they expected. Perhaps in the simulator they see performance more like McLaren: able to take the curbs but is stiff enough to achieve high speed stability

AR3-GP
AR3-GP

Okay I see. That is worse, isn't it?

Sergej
Sergej

AR3-GP wrote:
11 Jun 2024, 20:00
For how horrible the car has been with curbs and bumpy tracks, if the silver lining to this compromise doesn't show up on the tracks that are supposed to suit them.... In other words, if Mclaren (and Mercedes) are still there in Barcelona, then the compromises Red Bull made with the stiffness of the car have no purpose. The rival teams would be achieving the same performance without any compromise.
so are you expecting to win Barcelona with 10/15/20s ?

TeamKoolGreen
TeamKoolGreen

@venkeyhere

Mercedes hasn't been the best car all year or since 2022. Russell got the most he possibly could out of his car. Gassing up Verstappen over Russell in this instance just isn't fair. You were also gassing up Hamilton over Russell in this thread too
Last edited by TeamKoolGreen on 11 Jun 2024, 21:37, edited 1 time in total.