2024 Mclaren Formula 1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
mwillems

Re: 2024 Mclaren Formula 1 Team

The track will continue to rubber in. Sunday looks to be cooler and overcast so deg will be different on race day.

Cloud cover is what will reduce track temp more substantially than the 3c temp drop.
I'm not taking advice from a cartoon dog

-Bandit

willmesquita

It's funny here. Lot of Mercedes and Red Bull guys hehehehe.

McLaren looks ok and track improvement will dictate how we'll deal with tyres this weekend. Hoping for a Lando x Max battle and Piastri in front of Perez and Sainz.
To do something well is so worthwhile that to die trying to do it better cannot be foolhardy. It would be a waste of life to do nothing with one's ability, for I feel that life is measured in achievement, not in years alone. ― Bruce McLaren

papayaorange.com.br

MrGapes

Saw on Sky Zak mention they do have some new bits on the car... I assume its some weight saving parts because nothing was mentioned in the document.

LionsHeart
LionsHeart

BMMR61 wrote:
21 Jun 2024, 15:08
Does anyone have the details of the McLaren use of PUs to date?

Max has just used up his fourth and final "free" unit prior to round 10/24 and penalties are obviously coming Red Bull's way.
https://racingnews365.com/verstappen-on ... ter-change
McLaren are currently on their second engines. Red Bull may use the previous engines later in the season. I don't think they have any big problems with the endurance at the moment.

organic

LionsHeart wrote:
21 Jun 2024, 15:46
BMMR61 wrote:

Max has just used up his fourth and final "free" unit prior to round 10/24 and penalties are obviously coming Red Bull's way.
McLaren are currently on their second engines. Red Bull may use the previous engines later in the season. I don't think they have any big problems with the endurance at the moment.
Max has already said he'll need an engine penalty at some point due to lost mgu-k. They've taken all of the power units up to the maximum allowance so that in the event that something goes wrong in quali and leaves in Q1 for example, he can take the grid penalty for little cost

Most teams are fine in terms of engine usage. Merc have shown over the last season that they don't need more than the allotted components for a season and even have margin.

LionsHeart
LionsHeart

MrGapes wrote:
21 Jun 2024, 15:20
Saw on Sky Zak mention they do have some new bits on the car... I assume its some weight saving parts because nothing was mentioned in the document.
Or these parts do not belong to the class as aerodynamic. Thanks for the info.

LionsHeart
LionsHeart

organic wrote:
21 Jun 2024, 15:48
LionsHeart wrote:
21 Jun 2024, 15:46
BMMR61 wrote:

Max has already said he'll need an engine penalty at some point due to lost mgu-k. They've taken all of the power units up to the maximum allowance so that in the event that something goes wrong in quali and leaves in Q1 for example, he can take the grid penalty for little cost

Most teams are fine in terms of engine usage. Merc have shown over the last season that they don't need more than the allotted components for a season and even have margin.
What about the internal combustion engine? Honda has been doing well in this area in recent years. I'm surprised.

Could it be that the engine problems are somehow related to the fuel? Racing fuel is becoming more environmentally friendly and there is proportionally less pure gasoline.

CjC
CjC

mwillems wrote:
The track will continue to rubber in. Sunday looks to be cooler and overcast so deg will be different on race day.

Cloud cover is what will reduce track temp more substantially than the 3c temp drop.
Heavy rain forecast in the morning too….
Just a fan's point of view

LionsHeart
LionsHeart

At McLaren, both drivers were fitted with a Monaco-spec high-downforce rear wing for second practice.

organic

LionsHeart wrote:
21 Jun 2024, 17:05
At McLaren, both drivers were fitted with a Monaco-spec high-downforce rear wing for second practice.
Makes sense to me. McLaren were quite a bit lighter in terms of load in Fp1 than RB and Ferrari.

Darth-Piekus

I dont worry. The team will definitely compete for the pole. Its still a good all rounder. However we need another good upgrade as both Ferrari and Mercedes is within oir reach.

CjC
CjC

MrGapes wrote:
Tomsky posted this last week so I would have been surprised if there wasn’t any upgrades.
Tomsky wrote:
12 Jun 2024, 12:50
Just a fan's point of view

Emag
Emag

CjC wrote:
21 Jun 2024, 17:41
MrGapes wrote:
Tomsky posted this last week so I would have been surprised if there wasn’t any upgrades.
Tomsky wrote:
12 Jun 2024, 12:50
If you read the article, Stella never mentions Spain specifically, he just says over the coming races.

101FlyingDutchman
101FlyingDutchman

Good race pace. On par with Merc who look great again this time around. Consistently NOR was easily keeping up with SAI and then pushed the tyre on quite a bit further whilst SAI seemed to have more deg

Emag
Emag

Considering Ferrari was the better car in Australia (a track which is for the most part relatively similar with Barcelona after changes), being on par or ahead of them here would be a good indicator on how much the team has improved since then.

And of course, Ferrari has brought forward a substantial amount of upgrades for their car here, whereas McLaren has none.

Mercedes has been on the up for quite some races now, so it is not surprising to see them do well. Still, race pace would be the real test for them, so I will be reserved on my expectations until we see the race through in Sunday.

Max complained a lot, but long runs were quite competitive so RedBull definitely can't be ruled out here.