2024 Mclaren Formula 1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
geogate
geogate

Re: 2024 Mclaren Formula 1 Team

looked pretty decent to me. Mclaren usually run Oscar quite heavy, Lando usually runs fairly typical FP1/FP2 loads - they don't run light

Macklaren
Macklaren

Would be great if Merc could get up there and take some points away from Ferrari

Emag
Emag

Macklaren wrote:
21 Jun 2024, 18:16
Would be great if Merc could get up there and take some points away from Ferrari
With how they've been looking, they would be taking points from everyone, not just Ferrari ...

Emag
Emag

There will be more accurate data later, but this one is going around at the moment.

Not bad pace for Lando, clearly he is taking care of his tires on those first couple of laps.

However, I am surprised Oscar is still doing the same mistake of pushing really hard early on. It was the same in Imola, where he was pushing like crazy after pitting but then fell off quite significantly in the end compared to Lando.
You can see how hard the dropoff is for him on this long run after going ~1 second faster than everyone else on that opening lap.
Last edited by Emag on 21 Jun 2024, 18:41, edited 1 time in total.

organic

Emag wrote:
21 Jun 2024, 18:38

However, I am surprised Oscar is still doing the same mistake of pushing really hard early on. It was the same in Imola, where he was pushing like crazy after pitting but then fell off quite significantly in the end compared to Lando.
You can see how hard the dropoff is for him on this long run after going ~1 second faster than everyone else on that opening lap.
Maybe deliberate to simulate pushing tyres hard at start of race vs Norris approach of conserving and not fighting as much?

mwillems

Yep, looks like two different run profiles to see how the tyres react to different temps through pushing, deciding if they can do a stint on Sunday.

It looks like a 2 stopper for Sunday so softs are in with a shout of being used.
I'm not taking advice from a cartoon dog

-Bandit

LionsHeart
LionsHeart

Emag wrote:
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/GQnBFndWgAE ... ame=large

There will be more accurate data later, but this one is going around at the moment.

Not bad pace for Lando, clearly he is taking care of his tires on those first couple of laps.

Even so, everything looks good. But there is a high probability of rain in the race. And that could mess things up. Using high downforce will give an advantage. Let's see if Mercedes has a rear wing in the same Monaco specification.

Density in tempo is good. In the third year of the technical regulations, the teams leveled off in this indicator.

CjC
CjC

Emag wrote:
21 Jun 2024, 17:42
CjC wrote:
21 Jun 2024, 17:41
MrGapes wrote:
21 Jun 2024, 15:20
Saw on Sky Zak mention they do have some new bits on the car... I assume its some weight saving parts because nothing was mentioned in the document.
Tomsky posted this last week so I would have been surprised if there wasn’t any upgrades.
Tomsky wrote:
12 Jun 2024, 12:50
If you read the article, Stella never mentions Spain specifically, he just says over the coming races.
Stella didn’t.
However like Mrgrapes says and I’ve just watched the interview, Zak says there are some upgrades here in Spain.
So…… as nothing was noted on Fridays show and tell the upgrade is either weight saving or something under the bonnet.
I am right in thinking that under the skin upgrades don’t need to be mentioned on Fridays show and tell sheet?
Just a fan's point of view

mwillems

LionsHeart wrote:
21 Jun 2024, 18:55
Emag wrote:

Even so, everything looks good. But there is a high probability of rain in the race. And that could mess things up. Using high downforce will give an advantage. Let's see if Mercedes has a rear wing in the same Monaco specification.

Density in tempo is good. In the third year of the technical regulations, the teams leveled off in this indicator.
In the Forecasts I can see, there is about a 5-10% chance of rain once the race is underway, with a higher chance of rain in the morning.

As it stands, it seems to be a dry race. But anything can change.

-Bandit

LionsHeart
LionsHeart

mwillems wrote:
21 Jun 2024, 22:17
LionsHeart wrote:
Emag wrote:

In the Forecasts I can see, there is about a 5-10% chance of rain once the race is underway, with a higher chance of rain in the morning.

Thank you very much, comrade. Well, if so, then extra downforce will not hurt. If it rains in the morning, then some rubber will be washed off the road surface, and this can increase tire wear, possibly granulation. Although, to be honest, I do not always understand the conditions for the origin of tire granulation.

mwillems

LionsHeart wrote:
21 Jun 2024, 22:40
mwillems wrote:
21 Jun 2024, 22:17
LionsHeart wrote:

Thank you very much, comrade. Well, if so, then extra downforce will not hurt. If it rains in the morning, then some rubber will be washed off the road surface, and this can increase tire wear, possibly granulation. Although, to be honest, I do not always understand the conditions for the origin of tire granulation.
We ran higher wing in the earlier parts of the season and did very well through the high speed sections. Australia comes to mind.

Spain of course has about 1/3 of the track as long high energy corners. I hope it does rain in the morning. The race will be a little more dramatic with a green track that is evolving.

-Bandit

BMMR61

That "long run" lap chart looks very promising for Lando. It's been a trend since the major upgrade that the team are prioritising tyre preservation - evident in the late race pace Lando has had at at least three of the last five races. This race will be a stern test of Oscar's evolution in tyre management and should provide him and his engineer strong data points on best use tactics.

mwillems

A compliment from Helmut Marko.

-Bandit

CjC
CjC

mwillems wrote:
22 Jun 2024, 01:45

I wonder if he said that after knowing what they ‘know’ after FP1 & 2?
Just a fan's point of view

mwillems

CjC wrote:
22 Jun 2024, 09:48
mwillems wrote:
22 Jun 2024, 01:45

I wonder if he said that after knowing what they ‘know’ after FP1 & 2?
I think it is just a reflection of the fact that we will be in the mix at every track and he sees this as more of a consistent threat for the constructors. He wouldn't feel the same if Perez was delivering, however.

-Bandit