2024 Mercedes-AMG | Petronas F1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
Luscion
Luscion

Re: 2024 Mercedes-AMG | Petronas F1 Team

214270 wrote:
22 Jun 2024, 17:16
Venturiation wrote:
22 Jun 2024, 17:06
Close to Mclaren and redbull without big upgrades
As I understand it both VER & NOR got a tow too. The gap to them is maybe a touch exaggerated
Yea Max said he got a tow from Perez and apparently Lando got a tow from one of the Alpines

j_ste
j_ste

Venturiation wrote:
Close to Mclaren and redbull without big upgrades
Step by step. Hopefully by Silverstone they can properly compete

AMG.Tzan

This is a track that Mercedes have been doing great since 2022 so I don’t know how much of this pace is genuine or just track specific…

Anyway I thought Russell would get the pole again when I saw Lewis’s time cause he has been faster this year in qualifying but I guess Lewis found something this time around…or maybe something external happened I don’t know! Tire temps or something like that…

Also the high temperatures used to lose Mercedes a lot of pace but this time around it was ok! Curious to see if this trend continues…
"The only rule is there are no rules" - Aristotle Onassis

Luscion
Luscion

AMG.Tzan wrote:
22 Jun 2024, 17:35
This is a track that Mercedes have been doing great since 2022 so I don’t know how much of this pace is genuine or just track specific…
i think its true pace, this was the track to put the cars to the test with its range of corners. Lewis also said he believes the true gap to Max and Norris in quali is around 1.5 tenths not 3+

j_ste
j_ste

AMG.Tzan wrote:
22 Jun 2024, 17:35

Anyway I thought Russell would get the pole again when I saw Lewis’s time cause he has been faster this year in qualifying but I guess Lewis found something this time around…or maybe something external happened I don’t know! Tire temps or something like that…

Also the high temperatures used to lose Mercedes a lot of pace but this time around it was ok! Curious to see if this trend continues…
they were third fastest car here in 2022 and finished third in WCC.
They were second fastest here in 2023 and finished 2nd in WCC.

This track usually reveals where your car is. Last year they were 25 seconds off the lead. So nowhere near...hopefully it will be different tomorrow.

ringo

Hammerfist wrote:
Third best car. Great progress to be only 3 tenths off here and ahead of the Ferraris. Congrats to Norris. Ham finally finishing just ahead of George. I bet he will be all smiles in the post quali interviews. This is going to be an exciting rest of the season.
Ferrari are still the better car. Leclerc doesnt seem to be settled in. The fact that Sainz is going better here shows that you can add a tenth or two to his pace to see what Leclerc would have done. I dont think both drivers did their best.
The race pace is where I think the ferrari, mclaren and redbull will walk away from Merc.

The qualy gap is not surprising. When both prepare the tyres and one maybe is slight off the mark in prep, there's usually a few hundredths between them. Russel pushed the tyre too hard in sector 1 it seems, so his sector 2 was poorer than his previous best. He lost the qually battle there. Hamilton's experience maybe helped him here.

They should comfortably hold those positions to the end. Though I know Russel will try to get ahead for the podium and cause issues. The Ferrari's will put up a strong fight. Perez is just a gift by the FIA to spice things up. His poor performances are astounding, but it does allow for a nice top 6 shootout when one redbull is not in the mix.
For Sure!!

ToffeeTyres
ToffeeTyres

I just really hope there’s no coming together tomorrow at the start. We know George wants to be ahead of Lewis I just hope he keeps his head together and know it’s a long race don’t do something stupid

Dunlay
Dunlay

ToffeeTyres wrote:
22 Jun 2024, 18:17
I just really hope there’s no coming together tomorrow at the start. We know George wants to be ahead of Lewis I just hope he keeps his head together and know it’s a long race don’t do something stupid
When was the last time George did something stupid at the start? On the contrary, Lewis has had incidents at the start and last time Mercedes had team mates coming together, Lewis caused the crash in Qatar last year. I am sure Lewis has his sights on jumping Lando and if possible both Lando and Max. Same goes to George and they both have the rights to make those moves. I don't see why George should be only one that has to be cautious in this. Barcelona is one of the longest start straight and I am sure there would be position changes at the front.
Last edited by Dunlay on 22 Jun 2024, 18:23, edited 1 time in total.

Luscion
Luscion

ToffeeTyres wrote:
iirc they dont really come together when they start next to eachother, only one i cant think of is Qatar last year

ToffeeTyres
ToffeeTyres

Dunlay wrote:
22 Jun 2024, 18:22
ToffeeTyres wrote:
When was the last time George did something stupid at the start? On the contrary, Lewis has had incidents at the start and last time Mercedes had team mates coming together, Lewis caused the crash in Qatar last year. I am sure Lewis has his sights on jumping Lando and if possible both Lando and Max. Same goes to George and they both have the rights to make those moves. I don't see why George should be only one that has to be cautious in this. Barcelona is one of the longest start straight and I am sure there would be position changes at the front.
I was just stating that George might do something stupid as he really wants to be ahead of Lewis and things can happen if that mindset is at the start of the race and not thinking long game. Let’s see how it goes hopefully a fantastic race and great results for both for the team

ringo

I hear that George was whining after Q3, what did he say?
Also seeing online something about dont touch the car by Lewis fans. What's this all about. Was this Lewis asking the engineers to let the car be after P-3?
For Sure!!

Luscion
Luscion

ringo wrote:
22 Jun 2024, 18:53
I hear that George was whining after Q3, what did he say?
Also seeing online something about dont touch the car by Lewis fans. What's this all about. Was this Lewis asking the engineers to let the car be after P-3?
George didnt really say anything after Q3. Pretty sure the stuff with Lewis not touching the car is just a meme with fans at this point of when he used to have a really good car on Friday, make big changes, then make car worse in fp3 and quali

Luscion
Luscion

Looks like Merc will keep bringing more upgrades over the next few races like they said they would?

Lewis Hamilton at the press conference: “Pretty big chunk [to pole]. For a track like this it’s not too bad, I think.”

“As I said, through the lap there’s a little bit of time, I think. Probably could’ve been two tenths, but they’ve got a slight advantage.”

“For us to be that close on a track like this is a real good showing that we’re going in the right direction. As I said, we got some improvements that we need to bring over the next few races in order for us to be properly in range with those guys.”
https://x.com/fiagirly/status/1804558945630994670

search

Wolff said that they would continue to bring little upgrades every week (instead of occasional big upgrades)

Luscion
Luscion

search wrote:
22 Jun 2024, 19:08
Wolff said that they would continue to bring little upgrades every week (instead of occasional big upgrades)
Yup, and back in Imola Ted said he talked to Allison and they also have a big upgrade planned for the before summer break, i would assume Silverstone