2024 Mclaren Formula 1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
CjC
CjC

Re: 2024 Mclaren Formula 1 Team

Silent Storm wrote:
22 Jun 2024, 20:48
Emag wrote:
22 Jun 2024, 20:43
RedBull is the superior car, make no mistake about it. Lando just hooked up an ungodly lap.

Track position might give him a chance to win tomorrow, if he maintains the lead after lap 1. But if deg is too severe, or RedBull purposefully sacrificed some quali pace for the race, Max is still the favorite.
Care to provide evidence of that?
To Emags defence, they are just expressing their opinion but sometimes it just reads like it’s a statement of fact.

Max has won 2 out of the last 3 races though
Just a fan's point of view

Emag
Emag

CjC wrote:
22 Jun 2024, 21:18
Silent Storm wrote:
Emag wrote:
22 Jun 2024, 20:43
RedBull is the superior car, make no mistake about it. Lando just hooked up an ungodly lap.

Track position might give him a chance to win tomorrow, if he maintains the lead after lap 1. But if deg is too severe, or RedBull purposefully sacrificed some quali pace for the race, Max is still the favorite.
To Emags defence, they are just expressing their opinion but sometimes it just reads like it’s a statement of fact.

The way I see it, if you have the fastest car, you shouldn't need 5 chances to get a win ...

CjC
CjC

Big Gun wrote:
22 Jun 2024, 20:51
Max had a Tow too from Perez that gave him 5kph extra.
Lando is really putting his overrated team mate to shame, to think people Peter Windsor were saying that Oscar was the youngster and would soon start to get on top of Lando and Lando may have to move teams etc. Nonsense, Imo Lando is up there with Max Alonso, Lewis, Lecerc. I call the Fab 5.
He’s not over-rated. He’s just learning.
You are absolutely correct naming Lando in the fab 5.
Lando learnt a lot off Sainz about race raft when they were team mates and in my opinion Carlos edged Lando during their 2 seasons together, the points tally backs me up on that.
You omitted Sainz from your fab 5- which I agree with but to compare Oscar so soon in his career to a Fab 5 member is a little unfair.
One thing is for sure, he’s certainly an upgrade to whom he replaced and he’s a lot better than most of the rookies since Landos arrival.

LionsHeart
LionsHeart

Emag wrote:
22 Jun 2024, 21:20
CjC wrote:
Silent Storm wrote:

The way I see it, if you have the fastest car, you shouldn't need 5 chances to get a win ...
Well, that's a bit rough. The difference between the cars is too small to say that Red Bull has the fastest car. It's more versatile, overall. And the second driver, Checo, brings few points to the piggy bank. If we judge by teams, then maybe we should look at and count the number of points scored? That would be fairer. The countdown can start with the Chinese Grand Prix. Five attempts and five races fit in there.

Edit: Taking into account sprint races, Red Bull have earned 160 points since the Chinese Grand Prix, while McLaren has only 143. If you remove sprint races, the difference will not be in Red Bull's favor.

132 points - Points scored without sprint races for Red Bull
135 points - Points scored without sprint races for McLaren.
Last edited by LionsHeart on 22 Jun 2024, 21:50, edited 2 times in total.

CjC
CjC

Emag wrote:
CjC wrote:
Silent Storm wrote:

To be honest I hadn’t seen that you had replied :lol:

I’ve said it for a while now(maybe not here) that who ever beats Max and Red Bull will need a car advantage because they are just on fire under this rule set.
Say what you want about Verstappen but he’s definitely wringing a few extra tenths out of what is already a fantastic racing car

FittingMechanics
FittingMechanics

Emag just has unrealistic criteria of what fastest car is.

His view is that Red Bull has one driver at 100% (VER) and other constantly 0.5-0.7s slower.

McLaren on other hand has drivers driving over the capability of the car or lucking out into positions.

With that view obviously you can't find an understanding. My view is that VER is best driver today and is the one extracting "more" from the car. Put anyone else in that Red Bull and they look clearly slower.

As others said, I believe the McLaren is as good as Red Bull (in general) and we could have easily won couple of races more (Monaco with a slightly better qualy, same with Imola, even Canada)

Seanspeed
Seanspeed

CjC wrote:
And in neither case was it because Max had the clear best car.

It's not at all unreasonable to think the Mclaren is the best car now.

LionsHeart
LionsHeart

FittingMechanics wrote:
22 Jun 2024, 21:49
Emag just has unrealistic criteria of what fastest car is.

His view is that Red Bull has one driver at 100% (VER) and other constantly 0.5-0.7s slower.

McLaren on other hand has drivers driving over the capability of the car or lucking out into positions.

With that view obviously you can't find an understanding. My view is that VER is best driver today and is the one extracting "more" from the car. Put anyone else in that Red Bull and they look clearly slower.

As others said, I believe the McLaren is as good as Red Bull (in general) and we could have easily won couple of races more (Monaco with a slightly better qualy, same with Imola, even Canada)
This is the position I support regarding missed opportunities.

CjC
CjC

Seanspeed wrote:
22 Jun 2024, 21:54
CjC wrote:

Fingers crossed that it is

mwillems

organic wrote:
22 Jun 2024, 20:36
mwillems wrote:
22 Jun 2024, 17:25
Lando also getting a tow on his pole lap, so the gap between 1st and 2nd is close.
Even with Norris' tow Verstappen gained a tenth in run to T1, when usually he lost time to Norris in this area

When you consider this, the real gap is 1.5 tenths or more

https://i.postimg.cc/tgFrCv4F/image.png
If you put the line to the point where Lando brakes he is only .074 behind not a tenth, you can also see the Red Bull is faster on all the straights and slower min speeds in all the corners. This suggest we are running more wing which will also be a part of that .074.

So personally I don't think that Max tow gave him much more than than .05 over lando's tow.

Lando does lose some time in turn 1, but not because of the tow, hence you can't include losses after they hit the brakes.
Last edited by mwillems on 22 Jun 2024, 22:10, edited 1 time in total.
I'm not taking advice from a cartoon dog

-Bandit

FittingMechanics
FittingMechanics

mwillems wrote:
22 Jun 2024, 22:05
organic wrote:
mwillems wrote:
22 Jun 2024, 17:25
Lando also getting a tow on his pole lap, so the gap between 1st and 2nd is close.
Even with Norris' tow Verstappen gained a tenth in run to T1, when usually he lost time to Norris in this area

If you put the line to the point where Lando brakes he is only .066 behind not a tenth, you can also see the Red Bull is faster on all the straights and slower min speeds in all the corners. This suggest we are running more wing which will also be a part of that .066.

So personally I don't think that Max tow gave him much more than than .05

Lando does lose some time in turn 1, but not because of the tow, hence you can't include losses after they hit the brakes.
But we can conclude, Lando would probably be P2 if there was no Alpine. Margins are so small, they need to start thinking about it.

mwillems

Emag wrote:
CjC wrote:
Silent Storm wrote:

There's fastest and dominant. I don't think we have the fastest car, but all it takes to be the fastest is technically .0005 faster on average over all the tracks. This isn't fast enough to translate into regular wins of course because strategy, accidents, tyre temps, weather, luck etc

Our car may be the fastest overall, but it counts for nothing unless the team do everything else right and get the luck to turn it into wins.

But we don't. And saying the we have the fastest car is just people looking for new ways to describe and celebrate our progress. I don't mind it, but it is a bit meaningless. We are in a championship fight. We need Poles and wins, and then we can say we are champions. Anything else pales in comparison really.

If we have a dominant car, then no, we don't need much luck. Like Max and RB in the past few years.

-Bandit

mwillems

FittingMechanics wrote:
22 Jun 2024, 22:09
mwillems wrote:
22 Jun 2024, 22:05
organic wrote:

If you put the line to the point where Lando brakes he is only .066 behind not a tenth, you can also see the Red Bull is faster on all the straights and slower min speeds in all the corners. This suggest we are running more wing which will also be a part of that .066.

So personally I don't think that Max tow gave him much more than than .05

But we can conclude, Lando would probably be P2 if there was no Alpine. Margins are so small, they need to start thinking about it.
Maybe, maybe not. Lando had a poor exit at the final corner and I don't know how much time Lando gained from the tow, I can only approximate the difference between the tows. To be clear though, Lando had the pace for a pole without a tow and it wasn't a "godly" lap, but it was very good with a little bit of time still left on the table.

-Bandit

Seanspeed
Seanspeed

CjC wrote:
22 Jun 2024, 22:01
Seanspeed wrote:
22 Jun 2024, 21:54
CjC wrote:

Fingers crossed that it is
I mean, I'd love to see otherwise, especially after their post-Miami celebration guest of honor, but I wont let my feelings get in the way of what I see as objective reality.

geogate
geogate

Red Bull probably did sacrifice a bit of pace with an eye to the race - but making that statement implies Mclaren didnt - which I think they certainly did