2024 Oracle Red Bull Racing F1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
AR3-GP
AR3-GP

Re: 2024 Oracle Red Bull Racing F1 Team

organic wrote:
22 Jun 2024, 20:40
Without the tow Verstappen would be down with the mercs. Quali shouldn't have been close

McLaren are a large amount ahead even at tracks where the RB20 should run best. I'd be surprised if they can be champion now
I'm not having any of this... :lol:

Qualifying is qualifying. I think Red Bull will have a decent race tomorrow. At least the car seems to suit the track as promised. Other cars were bouncing in their laps (including the Mclaren), so there are still some things that the Red Bull does well.

There's a lot of scope for improvement with the next upgrade package and the flexible front wing updates that they are working on.
A lion must kill its prey.

organic

AR3-GP wrote:
22 Jun 2024, 21:46
organic wrote:
Without the tow Verstappen would be down with the mercs. Quali shouldn't have been close

McLaren are a large amount ahead even at tracks where the RB20 should run best. I'd be surprised if they can be champion now

Qualifying is qualifying. I think Red Bull will have a decent race tomorrow. At least the car seems to suit the track as promised. Other cars were bouncing in their laps (including the Mclaren), so there are still some things that the Red Bull does well.

There's a lot of scope for improvement with the next upgrade package and the flexible front wing updates that they are working on.
I don't think the flexible front wing could come until later this year. Probably after the summer break for that development if they only just asked for clarification on the area at Canada 2 weeks ago

The stability in high speed was good. Bodes well for tracks like Silverstone and Spa as well.

AR3-GP
AR3-GP

organic wrote:
22 Jun 2024, 21:50
AR3-GP wrote:
organic wrote:

I don't think the flexible front wing could come until later this year. Probably after the summer break for that development if they only just asked for clarification on the area at Canada 2 weeks ago
I think they already were testing the flexy front wing ideas this weekend. Max referred to a "test front wing" on the radio during free practice. Things move quickly in F1. They probably already have a direction to pursue. For sure, it won't come until after the summer break, but it's low hanging fruit in this development race.

Seanspeed
Seanspeed

AR3-GP wrote:
organic wrote:

I'm sure Max will have a good race, cuz that's simply what he does, he's a monster, but I think it's entirely reasonable to conclude the Mclaren is the best car now. They've been faster even in the race than Verstappen for several races in a row now, including a decent variety of tracks. This isn't some hot take.

Sergej
Sergej

That front wing test is surely sus, there was no new front wing this weekend according to FIA document, last front wing update was the Imola one iirc, so what wing was Max testing ? are there some pics ? possible a same spec wing but with different carbon fibre disposition ?

AR3-GP
AR3-GP

Sergej wrote:
22 Jun 2024, 22:05
That front wing test is surely sus, there was no new front wing this weekend according to FIA document, last front wing update was the Imola one iirc, so what wing was Max testing ? are there some pics ? possible a same spec wing but with different carbon fibre disposition ?
As long as the outside shape is the same, they don't have to declare anything. Mercedes had a new light weight floor this weekend. They didn't have to declare it.

Sergej
Sergej

AR3-GP wrote:
22 Jun 2024, 22:16
Sergej wrote:
22 Jun 2024, 22:05
As long as the outside shape is the same, they don't have to declare anything. Mercedes had a new light weight floor this weekend. They didn't have to declare it.
yeah exactly, that's why I wrote that maybe the spec is the same but with different (more flexible ?) carbon fibre, we wouldn't have chance to know by FIA document.

Paa

Sergej wrote:
22 Jun 2024, 17:06
f*ck just 0.020s ! well, Imola was reversed so I'll take it, second position is good, especially considered how far is Leclerc

bring it on for tomorrow, target is to gain points on Leclerc atm
Why do you think that? I'm pretty sure at this point that Norris/McLaren is the main challenger right now. They have been much more consistent since the Miami upgrade and he has basically the same points as Leclerc.

Different topic: I feel it has been forgotten, that Perez also has the +3 grid penalty from last race so he will start outside of top10.

Rikhart
Rikhart

organic wrote:

But there might be a surprise waiting in the wings

Emag
Emag

Rikhart wrote:
22 Jun 2024, 23:37
organic wrote:

The wings were already cleared by the FIA but people keep on blowing things out of proportion, as always. RedBull's front wing also flexes. Everybody's front wing flexes, albeit at different amounts.

The problem last year with Aston was (presumably) that their front wing arrangement, including part of the nose, was "morphing" under high load. As in, the shape was changing. That is not allowed. Thin sheets of carbon fiber that are the front wing flaps have been flexing for a long time.

Just pay attention to how the top flap goes up during braking on this relevant clip from over a decade ago :

Wouter

You have to click on the second feed.

You also have to click on this feed.

The Power of Dreams!

Rikhart
Rikhart

Emag wrote:
22 Jun 2024, 23:43
Rikhart wrote:
organic wrote:

The wings were already cleared by the FIA but people keep on blowing things out of proportion, as always. RedBull's front wing also flexes. Everybody's front wing flexes, albeit at different amounts.

The problem last year with Aston was (presumably) that their front wing arrangement, including part of the nose, was "morphing" under high load. As in, the shape was changing. That is not allowed. Thin sheets of carbon fiber that are the front wing flaps have been flexing for a long time.

Just pay attention to how the top flap goes up during braking on this relevant clip from over a decade ago :

The videos I've seen are beyond doubt, the whole wing bends so much that it is dissapearing completely off camera, not just the flaps of it. There is something going on, and either it will be cleared and RB will adopt it soon, or it will get fixed.

Emag
Emag

Rikhart wrote:
23 Jun 2024, 00:33
Emag wrote:
Rikhart wrote:

The videos I've seen are beyond doubt, the whole wing bends so much that it is dissapearing completely off camera, not just the flaps of it. There is something going on, and either it will be cleared and RB will adopt it soon, or it will get fixed.
Would you mind sharing one of these videos where the entire front wing is apparently disappearing.

organic

Emag wrote:
23 Jun 2024, 00:36
Rikhart wrote:
Emag wrote:

Would you mind sharing one of these videos where the entire front wing is apparently disappearing.
Here is Aston martin's 2023 launch spec wing which apparently totally morphs under high load

And here's McLaren 2024

Every team flexes to different extents. But in 2023 the level that Aston Martin had was unheard of. However what McLaren does is only slightly more than mercedes. So there's a big increase since last year despite the implementation of TD018 after Singapore.

This time they're okay with it.

This is what RB has at the moment

Quite a marked difference
Last edited by organic on 23 Jun 2024, 00:58, edited 3 times in total.

Rikhart
Rikhart

Emag wrote:
23 Jun 2024, 00:36
Rikhart wrote:
Emag wrote:

https://www.f1technical.net/forum/viewt ... 4#p1222094