2024 Mercedes-AMG | Petronas F1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
AR3-GP
AR3-GP

Re: 2024 Mercedes-AMG | Petronas F1 Team

Luscion wrote:
22 Jun 2024, 18:59
Looks like Merc will keep bringing more upgrades over the next few races like they said they would?

Lewis Hamilton at the press conference: “Pretty big chunk [to pole]. For a track like this it’s not too bad, I think.”

“As I said, through the lap there’s a little bit of time, I think. Probably could’ve been two tenths, but they’ve got a slight advantage.”

“For us to be that close on a track like this is a real good showing that we’re going in the right direction. As I said, we got some improvements that we need to bring over the next few races in order for us to be properly in range with those guys.”
https://x.com/fiagirly/status/1804558945630994670
Hamilton's emotions must be quite confused. There's a real chance that Mercedes will jump Ferrari in what remains of this regulation set
Last edited by AR3-GP on 22 Jun 2024, 19:30, edited 1 time in total.
A lion must kill its prey.

Luscion
Luscion

AR3-GP wrote:
22 Jun 2024, 19:26
Luscion wrote:
Looks like Merc will keep bringing more upgrades over the next few races like they said they would?

Lewis Hamilton at the press conference: “Pretty big chunk [to pole]. For a track like this it’s not too bad, I think.”

“As I said, through the lap there’s a little bit of time, I think. Probably could’ve been two tenths, but they’ve got a slight advantage.”

“For us to be that close on a track like this is a real good showing that we’re going in the right direction. As I said, we got some improvements that we need to bring over the next few races in order for us to be properly in range with those guys.”
Hamilton's emotions must be quite confused. There's a real chance that Mercedes will jump Ferrari in what remains of this regulation set.
Yup he's in a weird spot, obviously wants Merc to do well this season but will be looking at Ferrari too, could very much regret his move to Ferrari at the end of the season if Merc keeps up this trajectory

Matt2725
Matt2725

Admittedly, I will find it quite amusing if Merc are fighting for wins and Ferrari are left as a somewhat distant fourth fastest next season.

SKYnRacing24

Wont matter when theres a reset in 2026. Right now there on a upwards trajectory but Ferrari are right there, Race pace wise the W15 doesn't seem all that great imo. Tomorrow will be interesting in that regard.
“And that’s part of the game, is being able to be adaptive, and we’ve got this new car – I don’t know how it’s going to handle, hopefully she’s great.”

Luscion
Luscion

Lewis echoing Allison's statements about pushing the tires

“I still feel like I lost [a little bit of] performance going into [qualifying]. It's all about perspective. Maybe they just moved forwards, but I definitely feel like there was a little bit more.”

“But just as you start to push the car, it doesn't like it. So in practice, when you leave a little bit of margin, the car feels quite nice. But it's when you start to really lean on it to try and get that extra bit of lap time out where we really struggle. And I think it's all in the tyres.”

“So you saw in P1, I was seven tenths down due to an issue with the blankets. And then we got it sorted for the following sessions. So, it puts you a little bit on the back foot. But yeah, otherwise, the car, as I said, it's good that we're up here and it's the best qualifying I've had this year, so I'm really grateful for it.”

SuperCNJ
SuperCNJ

I have a suspicion that Lewis may have set up his car this weekend more for qualifying than race pace - which is the opposite of what he normally does. Looking at his long run practice times he is consistently slower than George but has been faster on single lap pace. I wonder if he decided to do this to "stop the rot", to prevent George beating him again in qually? Will be interesting to see if he still has good race pace tomorrow compared to George.

ringo

AR3-GP wrote:
Luscion wrote:

Hamilton's emotions must be quite confused. There's a real chance that Mercedes will jump Ferrari in what remains of this regulation set
You know I considered that possibility, but here is why he wont feel any different:
1. The performance of the mecedes is not the main reason he is leaving.
2. The lack of future for Hamilton and diminishing relevance to the corporate strategy at Mercedes is the main reason he is leaving.
3. Ferrari is a new challenge, a new team, and more recognition for his status as a World Champion.
4. Ferrari has a long time horizon for Hamilton's career.

All in all, even if Mercedes are the better car end of season, it cannot benefit Hamilton if we consider his career as a whole.
For Sure!!

ringo

Luscion wrote:
22 Jun 2024, 19:56
Lewis echoing Allison's statements about pushing the tires

“I still feel like I lost [a little bit of] performance going into [qualifying]. It's all about perspective. Maybe they just moved forwards, but I definitely feel like there was a little bit more.”

“But just as you start to push the car, it doesn't like it. So in practice, when you leave a little bit of margin, the car feels quite nice. But it's when you start to really lean on it to try and get that extra bit of lap time out where we really struggle. And I think it's all in the tyres.”

“So you saw in P1, I was seven tenths down due to an issue with the blankets. And then we got it sorted for the following sessions. So, it puts you a little bit on the back foot. But yeah, otherwise, the car, as I said, it's good that we're up here and it's the best qualifying I've had this year, so I'm really grateful for it.”
insightful as usual from Lewis. So basically with these cars, you not only have to be measured with how the tyres are heated in the corners to avoid over heating, but the driver must also be measured in gauging how much of the available grip can extracted at any given time. Sounds like the cars reach their limits before the driver reaches his.
For Sure!!

TeamKoolGreen
TeamKoolGreen

ringo wrote:
22 Jun 2024, 18:53
I hear that George was whining after Q3, what did he say?
Also seeing online something about dont touch the car by Lewis fans. What's this all about. Was this Lewis asking the engineers to let the car be after P-3?
LH ruined Russells tow that he had lined up in qualifying. And LH finished .002 ahead of Russell so it looks like it worked

SuperCNJ
SuperCNJ

I think Russell managed to get a tow from Sainz in the end

Venturiation
Venturiation

AR3-GP wrote:
Luscion wrote:

He left because of the way he was treated for the contract negotiations even James Allison confirmed it during this week's podcast
It has nothing to do with performance

Mosin123
Mosin123

TeamKoolGreen wrote:
23 Jun 2024, 00:12
ringo wrote:
22 Jun 2024, 18:53
I hear that George was whining after Q3, what did he say?
Also seeing online something about dont touch the car by Lewis fans. What's this all about. Was this Lewis asking the engineers to let the car be after P-3?
LH ruined Russells tow that he had lined up in qualifying. And LH finished .002 ahead of Russell so it looks like it worked
How? LH was in front of GR getting a tow from Ocon, the same person GR was trying to get a tow from, if LH is in front, how does he ruin GR tow? Is LH supposed to just move over and wave GR past lol and forget his own flying lap so GR can have his?

Mansell89
Mansell89

How are the long runs looking for the Merc camp this weekend?

Had a suspicion they’d be better than they let on this weekend but they’ve done a superb job getting onto the second row.

Car looks way more compliant now than it did when it launched in Bahrain.

Be interesting to see how they play strategy if Max and Lando are closely matched and battling one another.

How’s tyre deg been on the Merc? Admittedly I’ve almost not paid a huge amount of attention to them this season!

Kudos to them for a big step forward.

CHT
CHT

AR3-GP wrote:
Luscion wrote:

I do share the same thought because LH ultimate goal to join Ferrari is to win the 8WDC.
With Merc now showing potential at the front and Ferrari sliding back after Monaco, things sure is going to get complicated. Perhaps Toto is still clinging on the hope that LH may end up staying which is why they are taking such a long time to decide who to drive in 2025?

Matt2725
Matt2725

CHT wrote:
23 Jun 2024, 01:51
AR3-GP wrote:
Luscion wrote:

I do share the same thought because LH ultimate goal to join Ferrari is to win the 8WDC.
With Merc now showing potential at the front and Ferrari sliding back after Monaco, things sure is going to get complicated. Perhaps Toto is still clinging on the hope that LH may end up staying which is why they are taking such a long time to decide who to drive in 2025?
Nah, he's gone gone. And with what's happened in the last few days, I suspect many in the team can't wait for him to be out the door. Ferrari can deal with that toxicity from next season.