2024 Spanish Grand Prix - Barcelona-Catalunya, June 21 - 23

For ease of use, there is one thread per grand prix where you can discuss everything during that specific GP weekend. You can find these threads here.
GrizzleBoy
GrizzleBoy

Re: 2024 Spanish Grand Prix - Barcelona-Catalunya, June 21 - 23

George just doesn't seem to have "it" when it matters during a race.

He went from P1 to P4 because of his pace.

Yes Merc put him on the tyres with less speed it seems, but they literally only pit had to him at that time and had to consider whether he could get to the end on softs because he was going backwards and was a few corners from being overtaken by Lewis.

Also, that Mexican money must be laced with cocaine or something because Perez is just O_o

Juzh

Defo mclaren with the best car at this stage. They have at least 2 tenths on Verstappen, but likely more than that. I mean Norris' fastest lap is almost 7 tenths faster than Verstappen's and that's on same age tyres and both pushing hard. If that's not a faster car I dont know what is. Lets not forget Norris closed down 8s gap twice while overtaking cars. Verstappen literally doing miracles in these last few races to pull out these wins.

Spoutnik
Spoutnik

GrizzleBoy wrote:
23 Jun 2024, 16:41

Yes Merc put him on the tyres with less speed it seems, but they literally only pit had to him at that time and had to consider whether he could get to the end on softs because he was going backwards and was a few corners from being overtaken by Lewis.

Also, that Mexican money must be laced with cocaine or something because Perez is just O_o
Usual disappointing race pace from Russell

Spoutnik
Spoutnik

Juzh wrote:
23 Jun 2024, 16:42
Defo mclaren with the best car at this stage. They have at least 2 tenths on Verstappen, but likely more than that. I mean Norris' fastest lap is almost 7 tenths faster than Verstappen's and that's on same age tyres and both pushing hard. If that's not a faster car I dont know what is. Lets not forget Norris closed down 8s gap twice while overtaking cars. Verstappen literally doing miracles in these last few races to pull out these wins.
He lost too much time behind Russell in the first stint. McLaren didn't help with the slow pit stop.

101FlyingDutchman
101FlyingDutchman

Spoutnik wrote:
23 Jun 2024, 16:43
GrizzleBoy wrote:

I think that’s unfair on George. Defended very well and the hard tyre was just utter rubbish as a race tyre.

Hoffman900
Hoffman900

101FlyingDutchman wrote:
23 Jun 2024, 16:44
Spoutnik wrote:
GrizzleBoy wrote:

I think that’s unfair on George. Defended very well and the hard tyre was just utter rubbish as a race tyre.
It was either that or have to stop again when he burnt off the softs.

renault rs26
renault rs26

ringo wrote:
23 Jun 2024, 16:38
Max had the better pace in the first stint.
No he wasn't. Since Russell pitted Lando was half a second faster then Max.

ringo

Luscion wrote:
23 Jun 2024, 16:31
SKYnRacing24 wrote:
23 Jun 2024, 16:28
Why didnt they put George on the softs
George pitted on lap 37, Lewis pitted on lap 44, probably didnt think he could make it or just thought the hard was a better tire looking at the others around them. who knows really
Looks like a George gambled because he didn't want to be overtaken by Lewis. Lewis said the soft was the original plan.
For Sure!!

Hoffman900
Hoffman900

Lando / Mclaren needs to figure out starts. Watch Max’s onboard and Max closes right up to him off the line.

Not sure if that’s not a Honda vs Merc PU thing, or gearing, or drivers.

SKYnRacing24

Thanks for the answers guys. So Russell's race pace let him down again, Lewis basically saying that first stint they should of been closer without Russell slowing everyone down. Interesting
“And that’s part of the game, is being able to be adaptive, and we’ve got this new car – I don’t know how it’s going to handle, hopefully she’s great.”

GrizzleBoy
GrizzleBoy

Spoutnik wrote:
GrizzleBoy wrote:

Indeed. Lewis just confirmed that in the interview that it was always the plan to go soft on the last stint so it was yet another case of George of 2022/2023 pushing to do something different strategy wise to keep up on race pace

I dont see how Merc are going to do the things they want with him as the lead driver with all the lead driver perks.. There have been many instances this season where it seems like the mercs have to stop early just to keep him ahead of Lewis or where he pits early and Lewis is able to just keep going.

AMG.Tzan

zibby43 wrote:
22 Jun 2024, 19:51
AMG.Tzan wrote:
22 Jun 2024, 17:06
I’ve said it a ton of times but people didn’t wanna listen!

-Verstapen isn’t a great qualifier! There’s your answer… :wink:

On a side note:

-“sabotage emails” show up! Hamilton suddenly destroys the life out of Russell! Just a coincidence probably eh? :lol:
Destroys? What was the gap again, pray tell?
4,5 seconds :wink:
"The only rule is there are no rules" - Aristotle Onassis

renault rs26
renault rs26

Tvetovnato wrote:
23 Jun 2024, 16:40
gandharva wrote:
23 Jun 2024, 16:36
Lando lost it all on the start. I bet he still gets driver of the day, as most fans have no clue. On the other hand Max and Hannah won this race for RBR.
I would say it was quite a basic and no-brainer strategy they ran from the position they were in. Max’s clean execution was what won the race, with the pass on Russell when he needed to.
He could pit when Russell had slow stop but Lando refused.

organic

AMG.Tzan wrote:
23 Jun 2024, 16:47
zibby43 wrote:
22 Jun 2024, 19:51
AMG.Tzan wrote:
22 Jun 2024, 17:06
I’ve said it a ton of times but people didn’t wanna listen!

-Verstapen isn’t a great qualifier! There’s your answer… :wink:

On a side note:

-“sabotage emails” show up! Hamilton suddenly destroys the life out of Russell! Just a coincidence probably eh? :lol:
Destroys? What was the gap again, pray tell?
4,5 seconds :wink:
4.5 seconds with Russell leading after T1 as well, which makes a big difference

Spoutnik
Spoutnik

GrizzleBoy wrote:
23 Jun 2024, 16:47
Spoutnik wrote:
GrizzleBoy wrote:

Indeed. Lewis just confirmed that in the interview that it was always the plan to go soft on the last stint so it was yet another case of George of 2022/2023 pushing to do something different strategy wise to keep up on race pace

I dont see how Merc are going to do the things they want with him as the lead driver with all the lead driver perks.. There have been many instances this season where it seems like the mercs have to stop early just to keep him ahead of Lewis or where he pits early and Lewis is able to just keep going.
They were happy to offer Lewis a 1 year contrat (even Perez got 2 year)... I let them worry for this for next year