2024 Mclaren Formula 1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
MTudor
MTudor

Re: 2024 Mclaren Formula 1 Team

Really disappointing to get 2nd place 😉😉😉

mwillems

Tomsky wrote:
23 Jun 2024, 17:20
If McLaren was the fastest car, then it was necessary to stop Lando after a mistake at Russell's pit stop, and cut Max off at the second pit stop, why didn't they do that?
Because they wanted a tyre delta to make the overtakes much easier.

My original post said that we were faster when we weren't in dirty air, which was most of the race once we'd offset.
I'm not taking advice from a cartoon dog

-Bandit

Emag
Emag

At least there were some silver linings.

Gap to Ferrari was encouraging. Lando was faster than Leclerc even when both were on clear air on the same tires.

And of course, Lando gapped Lewis by a significant margin at the end there, without any significant tire delta.

On the other hand, incredibly disappointing pace by Oscar. He has been doing great this season overall but today gave me Daniel flashbacks. He was nowhere and with the car having the pace to win here, these sort of performances really stick out like a sore thumb. Could have taken a huge chunk of points out of our competitors here had he been there or thereabouts with Lando.

BMMR61

I fail to see how they got the strategy wrong to lose the race. The team have far more tyre deg info than us as well as the conversations. Once we got backed out to, I think, +9 seconds then tyre delta was the only way to get back to challenging for the win. Brave calls were made, and by and large, worked. Any "backing off" by Max were to preserve enough tyre to defend if Lando caught him.

mwillems

BMMR61 wrote:
23 Jun 2024, 17:37
I fail to see how they got the strategy wrong to lose the race. The team have far more tyre deg info than us as well as the conversations. Once we got backed out to, I think, +9 seconds then tyre delta was the only way to get back to challenging for the win. Brave calls were made, and by and large, worked. Any "backing off" by Max were to preserve enough tyre to defend if Lando caught him.
I think it was clever, they saw the problem and fixed it.
I'm not taking advice from a cartoon dog

-Bandit

Silent Storm
Silent Storm

Emag wrote:
23 Jun 2024, 17:34
At least there were some silver linings.

Gap to Ferrari was encouraging. Lando was faster than Leclerc even when both were on clear air on the same tires.

And of course, Lando gapped Lewis by a significant margin at the end there, without any significant tire delta.

On the other hand, incredibly disappointing pace by Oscar. He has been doing great this season overall but today gave me Daniel flashbacks. He was nowhere and with the car having the pace to win here, these sort of performances really stick out like a sore thumb. Could have taken a huge chunk of points out of our competitors here had he been there or thereabouts with Lando.
This!! Ferrari is hyped up to be really good on tyres and this high track temperature track is supposed to be perfect for them yet Lando was better than Charles when both hadn’t pitted…

Lap 16-22 was a shocker comparing Ferrari and Mclaren, really expected Ferrari to be excellent at the end of the stint.
The cheapest sort of pride is national pride, every miserable fool who has nothing at all of which he can be proud adopts, as a last resource, pride in the nation to which he belongs; thus reimbursing himself for his own inferiority.

Emag
Emag

I hope they start bringing some stuff in Austria and Silverstone. No matter how small, it will make a difference at this point. And RedBull are rumored to bring their first big upgrade of the season so it will be interesting to see how things pan out after that. Kind of a shame they're bringing it in Silverstone.

I really wanted a McLaren home race win :(

organic

I think McLaren will be unchallenged at Austria. Rb20 will not go well there

Tomsky
Tomsky

Emag wrote:
23 Jun 2024, 17:49
With such strategists, this is unlikely

Emag
Emag

Tomsky wrote:
23 Jun 2024, 17:55
Emag wrote:
Man let it go. I questioned the strategy too, but Max had 4-5 seconds on Lando when he pit. Add another one due to the undercut, if they had pit Lando immediately after, that's a 6 second gap with no tire delta. He wasn't gonna be flying like he did.

The race was lost at the start. They just tried something different with the strategy, but it did not work out.

Tomsky
Tomsky

Emag wrote:
23 Jun 2024, 17:57
Tomsky wrote:
23 Jun 2024, 17:55
Emag wrote:
Man let it go. I questioned the strategy too, but Max had 4-5 seconds on Lando when he pit. Add another one due to the undercut, if they had pit Lando immediately after, that's a 6 second gap with no tire delta. He wasn't gonna be flying like he did.

The race was lost at the start. They just tried something different with the strategy, but it did not work out.
If Lando had gone to the pit after Russell, then the gap from Max after the first pit would have been 2-4 seconds, and this is a chance to trim on the second pit.

bauc

Lando & Mclaren must work on their race starts, they are horrible and it has become a trait now ..... we lost 2 races in a row that we could have won, I guess all of this is part of the learning curve, like someone here said, if we are disappointed with 2nd than we are on the right track :)
Формула 1 на Македонски - The first ever Macedonian Formula 1 YouTube channel
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCJkjCv ... 6rVRgKASwg

Ben1980
Ben1980

So you would have pitted on lap 16? And then done how many laps on the medium? 28? What were people doing on mediums?

Ben1980
Ben1980

bauc wrote:
23 Jun 2024, 18:10
Lando & Mclaren must work on their race starts, they are horrible and it has become a trait now ..... we lost 2 races in a row that we could have won, I guess all of this is part of the learning curve, like someone here said, if we are disappointed with 2nd than we are on the right track :)
Horrible seems a bit strong.

Xero

Emag wrote:
I hope they start bringing some stuff in Austria and Silverstone. No matter how small, it will make a difference at this point.
Decoding Zak's Sky post-race interview they are bringing bits for Silverstone, but how significant is anyone's guess.